Layered Candle Frosting

I am having an issue with a layered candle and frosting. I am getting frosting where the two layers come together. That's the only place. I heated my jars with a hair dryer and everything else is fine. Any tips on how to prevent this at the seem of the two layers?

To what temp do you heat your C3? At what temp do you add FO? Do you prewarm your FO? Do you stir continually after adding FO until pouring? At what temp are you pouring?

I prewash all of my glassware. I only slightly warm it prior to pouring. One the layering process begins, the glassware stays warm enough. I do not pour succeeding layers at higher temps. I wait until the layer has cooled sufficiently to support the layer above without melting the lower layer. The temperature rises during this process, so I wait a little longer each time between layers to allow the larger volume of wax in the container to cool a little more. So far, my layers soy candles have not had any frosting between layers at all. HTH

PS That's a 6 color layered C3 candle in my avatar.

Edited by Stella1952

I heat to the 185-190 range, take it off the heat and add my FO and dye. I don't prewarm my FO. I do prewash my jars. I stir regularly till its about 165 degrees. I take a hair dryer and warm the jar slightly. I noticed after a few days of curing that it has gotten a little worse. I'm thinking it might be a little cool in my house, which is accelerating it.

Making layered candles with soy can be a dicey proposition because each time you pour a new layer, the wax underneath is reheated somewhat. This can contribute to frosting. Move quickly and don't let too much time elapse between layers.

My best suggestion is to avoid making layered soy container candles until you have achieved a good rhythm in pouring and are having few frosting issues. I use USA at 1 Tbsp. PP to reduce frosting. Use FOs that you know are not bigtime frosters. Start with simple projects using only 3 layers. It's really better to use one FO and 3 colors rather than three different FOs. If pouring hot isn't working for you, instead of pouring at 165°F, keep stirring and pour when the wax is satiny in appearance, about 120-125°F. You will have to play with it to discover what works best for you.

Do try prewarming your FO (I predissolve dye into the FO) because a cold (room temp 65°-70°F) FO poured into hot wax can drop the temp suddenly about 15°F. This is not desirable and can promote frosting. Warming to 115° (more or less) makes a big difference, IMHO. It's really no trouble because I am premixing the FO & dye in the pour pot anyway (more complete dissolving; no "hot" spots of dye, warm pot). Setting it on a warmer prior to adding the wax only requires a few minutes.

The "secret" to pouring soy wax without frosting is temperature control.

Thanks Stella. I am thinking about trying parrafin for what I am attempting, and it is my understanding that is holds dye better anyways, since the number of drops I had to use to get the color I want In the C3 is going to break me lol