Must make soap, but..

ksranch

Okay, it's definate - I have to make soap. DH used the MP I made for a week and told me last night he must have more (preferably not Japanese Cherry Blossom lol ). Anyway, I've been reading/researching to figure out what loaf mold to buy cause I love those bars you guys cut. But, I can't seem to make a definate decision, what I need to know is how many ounces are the bars that you're cutting from a loaf, and how many bars are you getting out of a loaf? I'm sure this info would help me decide - TIA!

Okay, it's definate - I have to make soap. DH used the MP I made for a week and told me last night he must have more (preferably not Japanese Cherry Blossom lol ). Anyway, I've been reading/researching to figure out what loaf mold to buy cause I love those bars you guys cut. But, I can't seem to make a definate decision, what I need to know is how many ounces are the bars that you're cutting from a loaf, and how many bars are you getting out of a loaf? I'm sure this info would help me decide - TIA!

Which mold are you talking about. There are many types and sizes out there. Please be specific, which supplier, which mold. That would be a start for someone to determine the amount of base and size bars it will make.

Well, that's just it - I was trying to see what size you guys use so I could get close to it. I was looking at this one, thinking it would make like 8 bars at about 5oz each...

http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/ProductDetail.aspx?CatalogID=1&GroupID=261&CategoryID=2123&ProductID=8475&ProductName=Crafters+Choice%e2%84%a2+Loaf+-+Regular+-+Clear+Silicone+Mold+1501

But, don't know if I'm in the ballpark..

Thats right. The bars would be 3.5x2.5x1" and weigh approximately 5 oz ea.

If you go back to that link you posted and scroll down to the Milky Way tray molds I prefer to use those for my soaps. I typically use the "Handmade" and "Goat Milk" trays that make 8 bars of soap each at 4oz. I like these because my customers compliment me on how pretty the finished soap bars are with the nice borders and Handmade or Goat Milk lettering on them. They really do look nice. The loaf mold is nice too if you want a more rough cut looking soap. I just prefer a "finished" look to mine.

Milky Way soap tray molds can also be found at Peaks, Mold Market, or Milky Way molds. Here's a pic of some finished soaps from the tray molds:

post-3620-13945848859_thumb.jpg

I've used plastic molds and silicone molds and now I've invested in a wooden mold. I love the silicone molds, they are easy to use and easy clean up. I bought a wooden mold with a cutter and I love it! I got the 2lb wooden box and can get about 8 bars, 1 inch thick. You have to line the mold with freezer paper or Saran wrap each time you pour. Each bar is about 3.5" x 2.5"

http://www.soap-making-resource.com/wooden-soap-molds.html

I've used plastic molds and silicone molds and now I've invested in a wooden mold. I love the silicone molds, they are easy to use and easy clean up. I bought a wooden mold with a cutter and I love it! I got the 2lb wooden box and can get about 8 bars, 1 inch thick. You have to line the mold with freezer paper or Saran wrap each time you pour. Each bar is about 3.5" x 2.5"

Thanks SO much! That looks just right for me! Now I just gotta decide - sliced or molded - hmmm, maybe both!!! :bliss:

Thanks SO much! That looks just right for me! Now I just gotta decide - sliced or molded - hmmm, maybe both!!! :bliss:

Also if you sign up for the email newsletter and register at Soap Making Resource, they will give you a new customer code for a discount on your first order!

Thats right. The bars would be 3.5x2.5x1" and weigh approximately 5 oz ea.

If you go back to that link you posted and scroll down to the Milky Way tray molds I prefer to use those for my soaps. I typically use the "Handmade" and "Goat Milk" trays that make 8 bars of soap each at 4oz. I like these because my customers compliment me on how pretty the finished soap bars are with the nice borders and Handmade or Goat Milk lettering on them. They really do look nice. The loaf mold is nice too if you want a more rough cut looking soap. I just prefer a "finished" look to mine.

Milky Way soap tray molds can also be found at Peaks, Mold Market, or Milky Way molds. Here's a pic of some finished soaps from the tray molds:

Love these!! going to have to get some!!

Thanks so much Candybee - I'm flipflopping between the handmade tray mold or trying to cut them.. I like the finished look, but wow do I see some awesome looking bars done in the swirl and what not from the loaves.. :undecided

You can still use the tray molds for swirling and embeds, ect. No reason why not. :)

I've used this mold and I love it!! I have the older, green version but it works about the same. My bars are around 5 oz (when I cut straight....LOL) and I do get around 8 bars if I remember correctly. (it's been a while since I've had time to soap--even MP!! Sad.) I have made a few different types of MP, with embeds and I've really enjoyed the results.

Well, that's just it - I was trying to see what size you guys use so I could get close to it. I was looking at this one, thinking it would make like 8 bars at about 5oz each...

http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/ProductDetail.aspx?CatalogID=1&GroupID=261&CategoryID=2123&ProductID=8475&ProductName=Crafters+Choice%e2%84%a2+Loaf+-+Regular+-+Clear+Silicone+Mold+1501

But, don't know if I'm in the ballpark..