First year show

Georgia

I got an invitation to a Spring show today. It is the first craft show this school is hosting. I noticed that their application and terms are copied almost word for word from a major high school show (different school) around here with the exception that the established show is juried and this new show will allow vendors - Pampered Chef, Tastefully Simple, etc.

Well, I was curious and asked if they were planning on charging admission to the show. The response was, "Yes. But only $2. Cooper HS charged $3 this past weekend and had people lined up to get in" But Cooper is a well established, juried, Fall show... I told her that in my experience first year shows that charged admission didn't do well. Hell, the Flea Market only charges a dollar to park and you can buy anything from produce to headstones!

What is your opinion on charging admission at a first year show?

I think these little shows that charge more than $1 are only hurting themselves. Its not like the old days where people were willing to spend money to get in to spend more money. Craft shows are everywhere, the internet has tons of stuff, even your local restaurant probably has a craft store in a corner. I think they would do better having a free show and then selling door prize tickets, bake sale, etc. If you can't get them in the door, you can't sell to them. I've been a vendor at a local show for about 20 years, just a little high school spring but very well established. They always charged $1.00 and then sold a ton of hot dogs and food. Lots of crowds. About 8 years ago, they raised their admission to $2.00 and it went steadily downhill in crowds after that. They stopped having the show this past year.

I personally hate shows that you have to pay to get into. It doesn't make sense to me. I wouldn't pay to get into the door at Kohl's. ;)

Booth spaces are sold to generate money. Raffles, bake sales, % of sales are all ways to earn extra funds if needed. But to require a potential customer to pay to shop doesn't work for me. However, I have had booths at those shows. Some of the well established shows around here charge a door fee and since they are sales machines...I ignore my feelings on the subject. How about a donation box at the entrance clearly marked as fundraising for xx organization.

1st time shows are notorious for slow sales. I don't think it benefits them to then add on a door fee. But it is harder to add a fee than take it away later.