Any Suggestions?

Good morning all!

I am in the process of testing 4627 in 11 oz Libbey tumblers(3" diam.), and have a few questions. I am using 7% fo and have tested the following wicks in Home Sweet Home, Christmas Past, Fireside and Candy Cane. Cold throw is marvelous, hot throw is good too. The wicks are zincs 51 and 60's and htps 104 and 105. I could not get a full melt pool with any of them on the first 4 hour burn, and the 60's and 105's finally caught up (with a thin layer of wax left) about half way through. I prefer the htp's as the zincs mushroom like crazy, but the glass does not clean up as nicely as I would like. If I use a 126 or 1212 does that seem like overkill? I do recall reading that this wax needs to be wicked up, but in my mind it seems like the 126 or 1212 would be torches. Am I overthinking this? Oh, and I live at close to a mile high altitude if that makes any difference. Thanks for your thoughts.

I don't use 4627 but rather 4630 (which also needs wicking up) and I can wick 3" containers with LX-20, HTP-104 or CD-14. While a full melt pool is nice, trying to get one very early in a container candle's life can lead to some issues later, such as: soot and a too hot container. I have embraced the slightly messier sides which clean up very nice in the last half of a candle's life in order to have a cleaner looking and safer. Going to an HTP 1212, 1312 or the larger 126 sounds like over wicking to me for a 3". I have tried that wick in 4" containers with limited success. Test the candle all the way to the end and evaluate. The HTP-105 you mention sounds about right to me

As for the hot throw, I have found that you don't need an edge to edge and deep melt pool to throw a decent scent. Unfortunately, I have not worked with any of the FOs you mentioned. Not all FOs are going to work, even in paraffin. What sized room are you testing in, what is the air flow, are there some other variables other than melt pool that could be affecting HT?

You mention the first four hour burn - I test one hour per inch in diameter - so if you are testing 3" diameter, only 3 hours at a time. I used zinc 60 in J50 with a 3" diameter and it worked well. Now the first 3 hour burn was not "full" melt pool, but it caught up nicely on the second/third burn, and so long as the wick was trimmed properly between - not huge mushrooming. I've moved to 4630 now and the zinc 51 give me these results. Test to the end - see what changes...

Thank you rjdaines, to clarify, I am happy with the hot throw, I didn't communicate that properly. I am more concerned about the hangup and the "dirty" look to the glass. The 60z cleaned it up the best, but as I said...ewww the mushroom (on every scent I tested)!! I understand that that is a characteristic of zinc's. The 105 does leave hang up at the end of the burn, but not the mushroom. Is this just the way it is with 4627, or does anybody wick up to the 1212 or 126 to clean the jar up? Or, does anybody blend a different wax with the 4627 to take care of that? The jar is not overly hot to handle with either 60z or 105's, which I appreciate. I do have some 1212 and 126 on order, but, wow they do sound like flame throwers, we shall see. Thanks for your help rj!!

Hi ksranch, Yes I have burned to the bitter end, the 60 z cleans it up the best with very little hangup, but not a completely clean glass, the 105 leaves a little more hang up. I did the 4 hour test just to see if I could get a full melt pool, didn't happen, so that may also be a characteristic of this particular wax? I just do not like the look of the glass with hang up at the end of the burn, am I being too particular? I am concerned that folks won't do as we have asked them to, and TRIM THAT WICK!! LOL, you know what I mean? Throw is great, no smoking, jars not too hot...will try upping the wick one more time.

That's one of the jars I'm trying with 4627 also. Mainly 12oz status which is 3" in diameter also. I don't have any really good results to share but here's what I've found so far. Htp 104 & 105 have a steady, beautiful burning flame & always leave a 1/4" to 1/2" tunnel all the way down thru multiple 3 hour burns. Htp 126, 1212 & 1213 start out gorgeous & turn into flame throwers each time. It doesn't matter whether I use 6% or 8% FO. I have a CD16 burning & I can see it will be too big. Cd14 next! But the HT is much better then with any of the other wicks such as Eco, Lx, Rrd, Cotton, etc. HTHs

That's one of the jars I'm trying with 4627 also. Mainly 12oz status which is 3" in diameter also. I don't have any really good results to share but here's what I've found so far. Htp 104 & 105 have a steady, beautiful burning flame & always leave a 1/4" to 1/2" tunnel all the way down thru multiple 3 hour burns. Htp 126, 1212 & 1213 start out gorgeous & turn into flame throwers each time. It doesn't matter whether I use 6% or 8% FO. I have a CD16 burning & I can see it will be too big. Cd14 next! But the HT is much better then with any of the other wicks such as Eco, Lx, Rrd, Cotton, etc. HTHs

ChandlerWicks, thanks so much for your advice, I will try cd's too, keep us posted!

You're welcome just wish I had easy wicking to share. CD16 burned perfect for a little over 2 hours. Flame was higher then I like but still good. 3rd hour started the flamethrower & flickering thing. Way too big! Still left a 1/4" tunnel. Not just hang-up type tunnel but full blown tunneling. I ran out of CDs 12 or 14 so tried CDNs of those numbers. Did ok but not great. I'm ordering reg. CDs to test again. Keep me posted too, please!

You're welcome just wish I had easy wicking to share. CD16 burned perfect for a little over 2 hours. Flame was higher then I like but still good. 3rd hour started the flamethrower & flickering thing. Way too big! Still left a 1/4" tunnel. Not just hang-up type tunnel but full blown tunneling. I ran out of CDs 12 or 14 so tried CDNs of those numbers. Did ok but not great. I'm ordering reg. CDs to test again. Keep me posted too, please!

ChandlerWicks, Thanks for the info, I poured a cd12 today, will test on Sat., and let you know. Finshed a 105 and by the end it was smoking and HOT! As I previously posted the 104 left too much hang up. Is this leaning towards 2 wicks? Doesn't seem the tumbler is big enough though....well we shall see, thanks for your help, and I will post what I come up with...

ChandlerWicks, Thanks for the info, I poured a cd12 today, will test on Sat., and let you know. Finshed a 105 and by the end it was smoking and HOT! As I previously posted the 104 left too much hang up. Is this leaning towards 2 wicks? Doesn't seem the tumbler is big enough though....well we shall see, thanks for your help, and I will post what I come up with...

I've tried doublewicking but still won't work, same results. Too big or too little. Goldilocks & the 3 bears for sure. Since I can wick soy almost correctly with the jar, I do believe its the 4627. I've gone through not quite 75lbs so far & with different jars. Wish I had good news for you but maybe someone else will chime in & help! I'll be watching & good luck!

I've tried doublewicking but still won't work, same results. Too big or too little. Goldilocks & the 3 bears for sure. Since I can wick soy almost correctly with the jar, I do believe its the 4627. I've gone through not quite 75lbs so far & with different jars. Wish I had good news for you but maybe someone else will chime in & help! I'll be watching & good luck!

ChandlerWicks, OMG 75#'s!!! That is a ton of candles! I read on this board that parraffin needs to cure a few days before testing, so that is my next step in the puzzle, have you noticed any significant difference after curing for several days, or is that step just for the throw aspect of the candle, once again, thank you for all of your helpful advice!

Ok they were all burning good for 2 hours. Then flickering/dancing. 1212 burning best of 3. Tested for 3 hours each.

1312-Tunneled left 1/4-1/2 wax all the way around

126-Tunneled left same as above but a little less wax left

1212-left less the 1/8 around jars

Relit all: 1312 & 126 stream of smoke immediate upon lighting. they are out!

1212 burning steady & true at this point.

Ok they were all burning good for 2 hours. Then flickering/dancing. 1212 burning best of 3. Tested for 3 hours each.

1312-Tunneled left 1/4-1/2 wax all the way around

126-Tunneled left same as above but a little less wax left

1212-left less the 1/8 around jars

Relit all: 1312 & 126 stream of smoke immediate upon lighting. they are out!

1212 burning steady & true at this point

Am pouring the htp's in the AM. Am testing the CD's tomorrow also, hope the 1212 works for you! Onward.......

• 1 month later...

I'm so glad I found this thread again. I've been testing 4627 with 9% FO in the Libbey Elemental jar, which is 2.875" and thin glass. I've tried HTP 104, 105, 126, and 1212, and I'm getting the same results you guys got. The flames are either drowning, dancing, smoking, or big smokey torches requiring wick trims every 30 minutes. lol And if the wicks are even 1/32" too long, they flare up and smoke. I was hoping cutting down on the FO would help, but based on your results with the lower FO load it won't help. I know the HTP 104 and 105 work in 4627 in the 8 oz square Masons.

So, now I'm testing 60z and 62z. It's burning beautifully during this first hour, but maybe the HT was better with the HTP wicks.

Anyhoooo....have you any updates on this dilemma? I'm thinking the 4627 in a straight-sided jar with thin glass walls is just not compatible with HTP wicks. I'm so disappointed because I really wanted to use them.

I'm so glad I found this thread again. I've been testing 4627 with 9% FO in the Libbey Elemental jar, which is 2.875" and thin glass. I've tried HTP 104, 105, 126, and 1212, and I'm getting the same results you guys got. The flames are either drowning, dancing, smoking, or big smokey torches requiring wick trims every 30 minutes. lol And if the wicks are even 1/32" too long, they flare up and smoke. I was hoping cutting down on the FO would help, but based on your results with the lower FO load it won't help. I know the HTP 104 and 105 work in 4627 in the 8 oz square Masons.

So, now I'm testing 60z and 62z. It's burning beautifully during this first hour, but maybe the HT was better with the HTP wicks.

Anyhoooo....have you any updates on this dilemma? I'm thinking the 4627 in a straight-sided jar with thin glass walls is just not compatible with HTP wicks. I'm so disappointed because I really wanted to use them.

I'm using 4630 and the Elemental jars, tested all of those wicks and decided on CD. Depending on FO, I use CD 5 or CD 6. They work great.

I have used CD wicks very successfully in a handful of 4627 candles. If I can't get HTP to burn to my satisfaction, CD is my next wick to try. I like CD wicks a lot, and occasionally considered switching everything over to them.

It is curious this wick business. I have most sizes of LX and HTP and would love to use them but all I end up using is LX in pillars and votives and then CD for soft wax (paraffin and soy) containers. I don't know what "they" add to make the paraffin soft but for wicking, it behaves more like soy wax than hard paraffin. Good think wicks don't go bad, one day I may across a project where the HTP wicks will work ht best.

Hi There HorseScents, I'm good! Thanks to both you & Sliver for your advice. I love CDs in 4627. To me they burn hot so don't know about wicking up. Look at one of the wick charts to compare. I'm finding that the HTPs work the best for me so far in the CBL125 which is supposed to be 4630. Going to test 125 against 4630 next week to see if they really are the same. Merry Christmas!!!!!

Thank you. That's really good to know. :) I wonder how well CD wicks work in 4627. I think I'd have to wick up. I should try it.

For me, the HTPs did give a good burn but there was a noticeable difference in HT when compared to the CD wicks.

Which one had the best HT? HTP or CD?

Also, I was just searching for CD wicks on Peak's and Candle Science and didn't see them. Are they called "CD wicks" on the suppliers' websites? Where can I buy CDs? For the Elemental jar I'd like to stick with the 6mm tall wick assembly.

Edited by HorsescentS

I have used CD wicks very successfully in a handful of 4627 candles. If I can't get HTP to burn to my satisfaction, CD is my next wick to try. I like CD wicks a lot, and occasionally considered switching everything over to them.

Really? Wow! Thank you so much! You have tons of experience with 4627 and I never knew you also used CDs. That's very encouraging! :D