Here we go again!

I was just reading the following from a company who only make beeswax candles...

"Soy and palm wax are oils in their natural state and need to undergo chemical processes to convert them to wax. Paraffin wax is toxic as it is a by-product of petroleum. Beeswax candles are the most natural and environmentally friendly candles available."

Why does everyone keep claiming Paraffin is toxic???

Palm and Soy undergo hydrogenation, its not toxic. Paraffin is a byproduct of petroleum, but when wicked correctly it does burn clean. Everybody is jumping on the toxic wagon because the soot from paraffin (and poorly wicked natural candles, but to a lesser extent) has carcinogens in it, just like cigarette smoke, or the smoke from a camp fire. When burned correctly it reduces this dramatically, but a lot of people don't burn it correctly. I won't burn it though unless I am testing another company's candle. When I burn most container blend paraffin I get itchy eyes.

I agree they are scare tactics but sometimes you need that in business.

Any wick burning in any candle will produce a minute amount of carcinogens including beeswax candles! The amount of carcinogens emitted is negligable enough to not harm you. You would have to burn a buttload of candles on a daily basis to get sick from it.

But some would have you believe that its as serious as secondhand cigarette smoke. Its all a load of marketing BS to sell their candles. Anyone or any company that has to stoop to unscrupulous marketing tactics I steer clear of. I would never buy a product from someone like that.