FO% math question

I don't know why you think they are not the same. In the calculator put in "what is 6% of 12" and you will get .72. Multiply .06 X 12 and you will get .72

For example, per 16 oz of wax: What is not the same is that a Proportional Formula means that you add whatever amount of FO you've calculated to your 16 oz of wax, so your scented wax mixture weighs 16 oz plus the weight of the FO you've added. But a Percentage Formula means you would first subtract the weight of the FO from the 16 oz of wax before you add it, so you end up with exactly 16 oz of scented wax mixture.

What is the question, HS? Are you unclear about how much of something to use? Ask the question if you cannot figure it out, but you've been supplied with everything it takes to figure up the quantities for a batch of wax.

No, I know how to figure the quantities of FO for 16 oz of wax. My question was whether you should subtract the weight of the FO from the 16 oz of wax before adding it (Percentage Formula) or just add the FO to the 16 oz of wax (Proportional Formula) so your scented wax mixture weighs more than 16 oz. But, rjdaines says it doesn't really matter as long as you're consistent, so I'll take it! lol

Edited by HorsescentS

My question was whether you should subtract the weight of the FO from the 16 oz of wax before adding it (Percentage Formula)
You would do this IF you wanted to end up with exactly 16 oz. of scented wax. You would use Georgia's formula to define what weight of the mixture is wax and what weight is FO to equal 16 ounces (100%).
or just add the FO to the 16 oz of wax (Proportional Formula) so your scented wax mixture weighs more than 16 oz.
If you are ADDing 1 part (oz) FO to 16 parts (oz) of wax, you would end up with 17 ounces of scented wax. This is the equivalent of a 5.88% FO load.

17 total oz. x .0588 (% expressed as a decimal) = .9996 oz. FO

17 total oz. x .9412 (% expressed as a decimal) = 16.0004 oz. wax

1.00 (% expressed as a decimal) = 17.000 oz. scented wax

See?

Oh Geeez, I'm in the cross-hairs now

Now that wasn't painful, was it? :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Edited by Stella1952

You would do this IF you wanted to end up with exactly 16 oz. of scented wax. You would use Georgia's formula to define what weight of the mixture is wax and what weight is FO to equal 16 ounces (100%).

If you are ADDing 1 part (oz) FO to 16 parts (oz) of wax, you would end up with 17 ounces of scented wax. This is the equivalent of a 5.88% FO load.

See?

WOW I have alot to learn,I think we need a Candler Degree..lbvs this covers many of the pre req I took in college to obtain my degree...And I love it!!!! Keep it coming Math has always been a challenge for me and I love challenges

Now, mzphee, this isn't college math - this is elementary school percentages and fractions (remember the point at which helping the kids with math homework became a major brain pain? LOLOL)

It's also why I ask people how much FO they added in OUNCES to how much wax in OUNCES because I don't know if they figured the percentage they are giving us correctly... ; ) It DO make a difference... They may have the percentage figured wrong, but they darned sure know how much FO they weighed and how much wax they weighed. I can figure it backwards from there. : ) I use the online "cheats" because I don't want to overheat my brain. ROTFLMAO

See?

Thank you, but my brain does not go there. *faint*

my brain does not go there. *faint*
I did skip one step in the calculations: how to figure what percentage 1 oz. of FO is of 17 oz. Amended below...

If you are ADDing 1 part (oz) FO to 16 parts (oz) of wax, you would end up with 17 ounces of scented wax. This is the equivalent of a 5.88% FO load.*

*how to figure the percentage:

1 divided by 17 = .0588... So, the FO percentage of that 17 ounces of wax is 5.88%.

(the math formula: X (amt. of FO) divided by Y (total weight of FO + wax) = Z (decimal equivalent of the percentage) To convert decimel to number percentage, multiply Z x 100 (or move the decimal point 2 places to the right)

SO, X/Y = Z ...and... Z x 100 = %

17 total oz. x .0588 (5.888% expressed as a decimal) = .9996 oz. FO

17 total oz. x .9412 (94.12% expressed as a decimal) = 16.0004 oz. wax

. 1.00 (100% expressed as a decimal) = 17.000 oz. scented wax

Does that make things any clearer for you?

Edited by Stella1952

I can NOT believe I just read all 4 pages of this thread and survived it.
You're a trooper, Laura! Your background in B&B serves you well. Math is math whether it's wax or shea butter. There was anoher thread we were posting to at the same time with even more pages of major scratching of heads, approximate work-arounds, etc. Stick to what you learned in B&B and you won't go wrong. : ) Edited by Stella1952