Is it possible to wick a 4" pillar with an LX?

Doing some searching and it seems as though the 3" pillars are the standard diameter. But I want to also offer 4" 4x4, nothing bigger.

But if I'm wicking my 3" pillars with an lx-22, sometimes bigger...does that mean an LX30 won't even cut the mustard on the 4x4?

Any advice?

If LX 30 doesn't work, nothing else will.

This is sensitive to your wax formulation though. The more stearic you add, the bigger the melt pool you should be able to get.

Bear in mind you are also using a pretty high MP wax. If you find yourself having to add too much stearic, Candlewic also has a 140 MP paraffin.

An LX30 is still going to leave a pretty good shell in a 4" pillar. If you're fine with the shell it leaves, at say 3/4" or more, then use it, but I'd look for something else personally.
What else is there? SB? I never tried the bigger ones but other than that LX 30 is the biggest gun I can think of.

I have a 4x12 burning right now with an lx-20 raw. Its doing fabulous versus my 3x4 wicked with a lx-24 wick assembly. Go figure? Same additives, same wax, same fragrance. I'd still up the raw maybe to an lx-24 just to get more of a burn from the sides, but I prefer to hug my candle also.

Lindsay: I use 4045 and LX wicks. From my experience, I've had to use either LX-28 or 30 in my 3" pillars so I really can't see how these particular wicks would work in a 4" pillar. I believe LX-30 is about as big as they go. They're really good wicks but you always have wick WAY UP with them.

In the mottled pillars I've done, I started out with #3 sb on the 3" x 6". Four hour burn was good, but the flame was very tall and a marathon burn was out of the question. I have another with #1 and after two burns it is performing better, the flame is ab 1/2" in height at the end of second four hour burn.

I've never been that thrilled with flat braid wicks on pillars, it's too hard to get centered right. In containers I love the LX and HTP, but the square braids rule in pillars! :rockon:

geek