Not happy with paraffin :(

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A dye "block" or a chip? What kind was it, as in, did it say use the whole thing for 1 pound of wax? The "blocks" I've seen color much more than 1 pound, so that could be the issue (other than the wax itself)

Edited by ksranch

Well, you were in the area of right for most pariffin waxes. So, I'm still going back to the wax itself. PM me with your info and I'll send you a pound of good pariffin wax, if you are game for one more shot. Not trying to sway you from soy - you had such good results there I don't blame you for thinking that's the way to go, and it may be for you - I just hate to see you totally write off pariffin all together without trying some good stuff! :tiptoe:

Hmmm...thats very interesting looking, my first impression is that perhaps it was a pillar wax and the fo load is too high making it leak out. I use 4630 in my para/soy blend and its the most creamy pretty wax I have seen. I think you should stay with the wax that makes you happy but don't base all paraffin on this one time experience because clearly it looks like the wrong wax for the application.:shocked2:

You know thats gotta be what happened. Way too much FO. I used a whole ounce of FO for 1lb of that paraffin.

Please do not laugh at this.....I'm new so what do you expect lol. But the box did say low oil content on the front. So

does that mean that it will not hold as much? If so then thats definitely gotta be the issue.

Please do not laugh at this.....I'm new so what do you expect lol. But the box did say low oil content on the front. So

does that mean that it will not hold as much? If so then thats definitely gotta be the issue.

No one's laughing at you, clueless - it's just that with so little information on the exact type of wax, it's hard to give you a solid reason. The amount of FO may be an issue, but the temperature has a lot to do with it, too. Try a remelt to a higher temp suggested by the paraffin waxers who've replied to you and pour votives instead of a container. Be sure to reserve some wax for a second pour, if needed.

Would a remelt to a higher temp help, y'all?

Can't say - don't know enough about the wax. I use a pillar blend and do 1oz pp all the time - sometimes more. I still think it's a mixture of the quality of the wax and it wasn't hot enough. JMHO

You know thats gotta be what happened. Way too much FO. I used a whole ounce of FO for 1lb of that paraffin.

Does it tell you anywhere on the pkg. what percentage of FO this particular wax will hold? Straight paraffins are lower but with the blends many will take .75 to 1 oz pp or more. Whether your wax is a straight paraffin or not, and what this wax will hold percentage wise will determine whether or not the amount of FO had something to do with it.

There is a lot of great advice in posts ahead of mine so I won't repeat any...well, ok...the temp you add the FO at is important as is the amount of dye. I think this was suggested without my going back to read all the posts but try adding FO at 185 with a small amount of dye and you should have much better results.

We were all in your shoes at one point or another as new to this hobby/business. It takes a whole lot of time, research and mistakes to learn. Hang in there :)

Peak's site has some nice info on the paraffin waxes they sell and some of it may be applicable to the wax you are using. For straight, unblended paraffin about 3% to 4% FO is about all it will take before sweating the blended waxes can take more. Also, if this has not been mentioned already, we are talking weights not volumes. Weight your FO if you are not already.

http://www.peakcandle.com/category/Waxes/Paraffin-Wax.aspx

I melted 1lb of paraffin wax. I added about 1tsp of stearic acid, 1 oz of fragrance and 1 dye block

Remelt it. Go back and add at least 2 1/2 heaping T of stearic to it and a little more wax if you need to, but you definitely needed more stearic than what you put in it. One whole dye block to one pound is too much to add for that amount of wax ... BUT .. I happen to like the green color you have there.

Yes, but I am a paraffin user/maker and 1 oz to 1 lb of FO is just fine as long as you have your additives going at the right amount.

I have had much success with J50 and my candles smell awesome and burn beautiful. I have dabbled with nature wax from Early American Candle Supply but it didn't throw like my J50 and the nature wax frosted. I know there are many soy waxes out there and people have had much success with soy but I prefer my paraffin. Perhaps the reason your candles sunk in was you may have poured too high of a temp or you might have used a wax not specified for containers. I have had much luck with J50 and zinc wicks. My tarts I use a formula of 25% J50 and 75% paraffin. They melt nice and with the added J50 helps increase scent throw. Hope this helps.