Please help me with wax melts

Joannec

Hi, I am in the UK, I love candles and melts and have recently been making my own melts. I want to make heavily scented wax melts so I use a 10% fragrance ratio. I have to buy my oils here in the UK but I do buy from reputable sites that sell US fragrance grade oils. The only wax I can seem to find here in the UK is the ecosoya wax. I have been using the ecosoya pillar blend. I melt the wax to 70 and then let cool down until the wax is about 55. I then put my fragrance in and stir for a full 2 minutes and then pour. The cold throw is lovely and also the 1st tea light burn is lovely. The problem I am having is that on the 2nd tea light burn the fragrance is hardly noticeable. I would ideally like my tarts to last at least 2-3 tea lights.

Would anyone have any tips for me to get my tarts to last a longer time?

I would really appreciate any help. Thanks x

I use Ecosoya PB as well. I melt to 85 and add FO at 70-75, stir and pour.

You are going to find adding 10% of every oil to be a waste, so be sure to keep notes on every FO you use as well as temps.

As an example, I need to use 10-11% pineapple and coconut FO to get a decent HT, but my baby powder is 7% and it's been sitting in my burner for 3 days now (5-6 tealights) and I can still smell it, although it's almost to the end of it's life.

Cure time is also very important with PB. I let mine cure for at least a week, and a few really pop after 2 weeks.

Hi, thanks so much for replies, I really appreciate all advice.

I have made tarts with clean cotton, scent throw was fantastic for the 1st tea light. 1 tart scented whole house. However after the 1st tea light went out there was no scent left in tart also the wax discoloured slightly. The burner I used had a glass bowl do you think that the burner got the tart too hot and the heat made all the oil evaporate?

How big is your oil burner? I have 2 tealight ones and I get a lighter throw for longer out of my bigger burner as in the flame is futher from the melt bowl and a stronger throw for less time out of my smaller one. I usually get about 18-24 hours out of a melt. I also put mine out every 4 hours. If I power burn (?is that right for a melt...maybe its a power melt lol) them then I will only get about 15 hours in my smaller burner. Cure time is important.

Right ok thanks. I only made them yesterday and I have burned today. Is that not long enough cure time?

I have a few burners, the glass bowl one seems to give off vapour when burning and great scent throw but only for first burn and the ceramic ones don't give off as strong a throw but do last longer than a tea light x

Joannec PB is a fine wax to make tarts all by itself. You just need less fragrance oil and more cure time. Here is what the manufacturer suggests:

When using dye, melt the wax to a minimum of 155°F (68.3°C) under gentle agitation to promote even heating and thorough mixing. Higher temperatures, in excess of 190°F (87.8°C), may cause the wax to discolor. Allow the wax to cool to the desired pour temperature.

The pour temp is going to depend on what you are pouring into. HTH

Hi, thanks for everyone's help.

I will be pouring into metal tart moulds. Does more fragrance oil make the tart have less ht?

I really do appreciate everyone's answers. You are far more advanced in candle making than the UK. I just wish I could buy my melts from the US but every website I find only ships within the US. X

Hi, thanks for everyone's help.

I will be pouring into metal tart moulds. Does more fragrance oil make the tart have less ht?

I really do appreciate everyone's answers. You are far more advanced in candle making than the UK. I just wish I could buy my melts from the US but every website I find only ships within the US. X

There are many great companies here in the states that ship worldwide and many right from these boards too +) Best of luck in your new adventure!