Bubble Bar Questions

angella

Well I suggest you test them to get your answers on discoloration. I think if they aren't changing within 1-2 weeks they may not discolor. Stuff will vanilla is going to turn though without a nondiscoloring vanilla or perhaps some vanilla stabilizer.

I would package when you're ready to sell them, but when they aren't moist enough to attact more moisture so they blow up or grow anything.

Can't answer your last question though. I had some that were fine after a year and others that, well, didn't make it that long. For the sake of people not hording them, maybe (not yelling or stressing any points with the bold. My computer seems to be in love with black at the moment) say use within six weeks, but you need to know what yours do in six weeks.

Edited by Scented

A lot of that depends on your formula. Those made using glycerin, for instance, age differently than those made with other liquids (such as surfactant blends). I'd think if you use glycerin that the shelf life would be no longer than the life of the preservative used. Test test test.

My personal formula (which does not use glycerin) is ready to package in cello within 1 day of being unmolded. The finished texture is very dry, so they've have lasted more than a year without discoloration or degradation of performance even when stored open in a bathroom.

Do you sell your bubble bars?

Yes. I start listing them in the fall. Nothing 'bathy' sells well for me in the warmer months.

Here's a link to the formula I've been using and instructions: http://doingisbelieving.blogspot.com/2011/04/solid-bubble-bath-bars.html

I've been making them molded, kind of single serving size. it's time consuming, but kind of fun playing squash the mushroom as they start to set in the molds. Weighting them helps keep everything compacted well.

I would imagine you could roll them into a log with multiple colors jelly roll style, wrap the log with wax paper/butcher paper and mold inside a tube until the initial reaction completes. then you could slice a la L**h.

HTH