Crackling Wax??

Hi all. I hope someone can help me out with this. I just purchased some new wax a couple weeks ago. So this morning I noticed immediately when I put it in my Presto Pot that it was crackling and popping! It sounded exactly like oil heating. I called the supplier I got it from and they told me it was air bubbles trapped in the granules and it was perfectly normal. The wax is MSC623. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

I saw some posts on this happening to people using J223, I just wasn't sure if the reason would be the same for a harder wax. I saw the idea about heating to 200, I'm wondering if I should try this. I just wanted to know if the answer of "air" trapped in the granules sounded logical??

I'm just doing 2 lbs at a time. It's done it with every single batch so far. I'm making clamshells with it, I'm testing one right now. The HT is fine, I was just afraid it would have water floating on the top or something, lol. Thanks for your input!

Glinda

What temp is the Presto set on when you are melting the wax? Sometimes if it is turned up a lot higher than the MP of the wax, it sounds like heating oil for frying. I don't use paraffin so I don't know if it is the same, but veggie waxes will scorch and burn, so it's important to stir and keep the wax moving so that the wax over the heating element doesn't become superheated.

Well I wouldn't be afraid of water unless.there was an obvious sign you had water I know my one pouring pot had eaten a hole in itself and I didn't notice it never crackled while melting but when I poured it and it set I had what looked like fo seepage but it was water

Funny you mention that - I've been watching my pour pots for some time now wondering when those little dents will give way......... been using the same pour pots since 2004 - might be time to replace them, ya think!!

They use water to remove the slabs of wax and sometimes water gets trapped in the wax. No big whoop, the water will sink to the bottom and when you get to the bottom of your pot just throw out the water. Sounds like maybe we're getting to the end of the year and all the available wax is shipping out. Seems like this is usually the time for this to happen. HTH

Steve