Do any of you have an Affiliate Program?

jackbenimble

I had a lady contact me through my website recently about posting my banner on her and becoming an affiliate. I have visited her website and there are others candle maker on there as well. I understand the nature of the affiliate program but I am unsure if this is legit or not. Below I have pasted our email convo and the links to her site. If any of you have experience with this or could take a look and let me know if this is a scam or not I would be very grateful! Thank you!

Orginal email

I found your site through the "What Smells So Good" Facebook page, and wanted to join your affiliate program and list your site on Favorite Online Shops. But on my affiliate account, when I try to sign in, I see the message "Affiliate Account Not Active". Are you accepting new affiliates? If there is any other information you need from me to activate my account, please let me know and I'll be glad to send it.

Thanks so much,

Janet Mongilio

Janet Mongilio

Favorite Online Shops - Featuring unique home-based businesses

http://www.favoriteonlineshops.com/

Indie Affiliates - Celebrating small business owners

http://www.indie-affiliates.com

Blogs: http://favoriteonlineshops.blogspot.com

and http://indie-affiliates-coupons.blogspot.com/

My Reply

Thank you for your interest in my online shop. My web host has the affiliate program automatically added and I have had several companies sign up but I am not familiar with how that works. I would still love to be added to your list of Favorite Online Shops. Let me know if that's still possible without having to go through the affiliate program.

Her Response

The way I have the site setup (from its beginning 6 years ago), all the listed shops have an affiliate or referral program. If you do want to make yours operable, I found a video tutorial on the 3D cart site at http://www.3dcart.com/video_tutorial.asp?vid_catID=1&vid_ID=10 that explains how to activate it. Some of it is already done (since you have the affiliate page created and it's already in your menu). Just let me know if you decide to go forward with it. I'd be glad to help you debug and test it.

Thanks again,

Janet

Is this a I scratch your back, you scratch mine kind of thing? She posts your banner and then you post her banner? Or is there money involved for a click through?

No, this program is set up when people click on the banner she puts on her website it takes those folks to my site and if they purchase my products she gets a % of the sale. My website keeps track and I pay her out once a month. If no sales then no payout.

• 1 year later...

If it were me I would check out her website first and see what companies are listed as affiliates. Get in touch with a few of them. Call them and ask about it, how long they have been doing it, are they satisfied, have they made any sales, what their % is, do they feel it is worth it, etc. Also, I would email this person back and tell her of your intent and ask if you can contact these people. Her answer and their answers will give you a lot more insight and help you make a much better informed decision. Also, what works for some people doesn't necessarily work for others.

What I don't like about this is you have no control over who she hosts as affiliates. I wouldn't want my company name listed with just anything. I also don't like to give money to people that just list companies but don't do any of the hard work that goes into the making or selling of your products. (Real advertisers work for you and good ones work hard for the money and make money for you.)

Seems to me that unless you make a really good profit (the affiliates can fill you in on this part) its not worth it. I don't like not having control over who I am 'partnered/advertised' with and someone picking up a check for little to no effort. Seems to me unless you are making good money from it it would be more profitable to invest in a good advertising program.

One more thing. Spend some time on her website and ask yourself. Is it well organized and pleasing to the eyes? Is the layout appealing and does it make sense? How about grammer and spelling? Good? Poor? Nonexistant? How is navigation? Easy to go from one page to another and back again? How about the other affiliates? Any of them objectionable to you or not appropriate? Will they make your company look good or seem cheap or mediocre?

Edited by Candybee