Wick Preferences to maximize HT in GB464 or similar wax?

Just did an initial test burn on one of my two candles of Apple Harvest FO. My husband gave the 2nd away to my mother on accident.

16oz GB 464

2 Cranberry Dye Chips

1oz Apple Harvest FO

ECO 14 (x2)

Status Jar (x2) (Diameter is 3")

• Heated through until temp of 185

• Added Dye @ 165

• FO @ 145

• Poured @ 125

Tonight, the candle was 5 days old, so I decided to test for HT...and its so-so. Good CT. Thinking its the wick? I don't know what else to try, anyone have any opinions on the matter?

FWIW, my pumpkin souffle wasn't great either, I poured two of those as well, and the test burn of the first one gave poor HT. Im letting the 2nd sit a bit longer.

I am not having a lot of luck with apple scents with my 464 and I use a singe CD-18 wick. Try a longer cure since it is already made. Do a search for the pumpkin souffle, seems that others have some difficulties with that one.

Just to add a bit of more info, I do add my FO at 185 and pour at 165. As far as the wick goes, the range I would used would be CD16 or CD18 but, of course, that can vary. Saying all that, keep in mind that I am not doing well with Apple FOs from a variety of suppliers., my best so far is Apple Jack Peel from naturesgardencandles.com at 6%.

I use CBA and just started testing 464 but I get amazing ht for the pumpkin souffle in CBA-I use 16 oz canning jars with LX26. Seems I have to wick up with 464 but still just in the beginning phase of testing...

LX wicks mushroomed to much for me in CB-A and I eventually settled on HTPs which, of course, did not work well in 464 when I switched to that. CDs worked better for me with 464.

I have had excellent results with CS Mac Apple at 8% in 464, and CS Apple Jack & Peel at only 5% using the CDN wicks. I do however add some beeswax to my 464, so that could be making a difference with the throw. I know your frustration! Soy wax can be so finicky sometimes, I swear only 1 in 10 or even 1 in 15 scents that I test actually throw strongly enough for my liking.

I have had excellent results with CS Mac Apple at 8% in 464, and CS Apple Jack & Peel at only 5% using the CDN wicks. I do however add some beeswax to my 464, so that could be making a difference with the throw. I know your frustration! Soy wax can be so finicky sometimes, I swear only 1 in 10 or even 1 in 15 scents that I test actually throw strongly enough for my liking.

Actually Apple Jack Peel is one FO that I have noticed works fairly well in 464.

I use GB464 also and just had a similar issue with CS FO Pumpkin Pie. I am testing the "wick theory" myself too. No answers yet but will share my results. I did phase 1 test last night, 8 oz jelly jar, ECO 10 wick, heat to 185, add FO, pour at 145, FO load at 7%. Beautiful cure and CT but who knows what the HT will be like.

rjdaines-thanks, I will order some CDs and try with the 464. Right now I'm testing with the Eco's and LXs...like the way ecos burn but they sometimes curl so much that they put themselves out in the mp. I'm using 16oz canning jars and with the CBA I use LX26..what do you suggest I try with the 464 using cd's? I use 9% fo and dye

Edited by lmc

like the way ecos burn but they sometimes curl so much that they put themselves out in the mp.

That's not good. Are you trimming to 1/4" before you burn them? Are you only burning them 1 hour per inch of diameter? I use ECO's too, but have never encountered that problem. It sounds like maybe you have wicked too high and it's burning the wax off too quickly. JMO

Sisters3....how long did you cure yours? I cured mine for a week, and NADA hot throw. Im sorely disappointed. But like I said, I put it on the warmer and WHAM. That's what makes me think its the wick/melt pool combo and not the FO.

Sorry for the delay. Mine cured for probably 2 weeks, they were part if inventory...YIKES!! I poured test group #2 last night and won't burn either test groups until this weekend or even maybe Monday. I need to eliminate the pour temp as a problem, so that is the only variable in this test. What gets me is that the burn tests are spot on so I really don't want to change wicks.

I wonder IF you have a great burn, like its maybe just a "bit" over wicked, with NONE of the obvious "over wicking" issues, could the scent actually be burning off too quickly??

Susan

PS: Maybe it is just the scent, CS Pumpkin Pie ?? Its been re-formulated according to CS and the review just before mine (on their site) was 1/2011

Edited by sisters3

16oz canning jars and with the CBA

16 oz. canning jars come in different diameters... what's the inside diameter of yours? CBA has issues with hot throw in many, many FOs...

I sure have been reading lots of throw issues with the pumpkin pie, pumpkin souffle, etc. in different soy waxes... makes me wonder...

If a FO is throwing well in a warmer, that tells me that there is an issue with the wicking. Warmers often melt the wax to a higher temp (and deeper MP) than a candle with a comparable diameter MP. You could try wicking up, but you have to be careful that the wick doesn't heat up the container too much during the last half of the container. Putting scented wax on a warmer only tells you that it WILL throw, but not whether you can adjust the temp to make that FO throw in a candle without a torch of a wick and a red-hot container... Some FOs do not burn well in wax, period. Try the CD or CDN and see how that works in the 464 or the CBA...

Stella, hi there. I will be trying wicking up in the near future once this test group is evaluated. Something interesting, maybe it correlates, maybe it does not.

My best hot throw scents from CS are Raspberry Sangria, Coconut Lime Verbena, and McIntosh. They all have FP's at 165 or below. The ones giving me problems are Pumpkin Pie and Very Vanilla, at 212 and 212+ respectfully.

So, given that, maybe the only way to get a better hot throw from FO with high FP is to carefully wick up without creating an over wicked candle? I think this will be the next text phase.

Susan

Edited by sisters3

Hey Susan! :) The flash point has been rumored to have an effect on HT but mostly I have read that postulated by folks who are having tons of trouble with HT & wicking and are grasping at straws. I have never demonstrated a correlation, personally. Remember: once an FO is put into solution with the wax, it no longer has the same FP.

Very Vanilla is a strong thrower for me in C3 and palm waxes using CDN wicks. I haven't sampled the Pumpkin Pie or any of the others you mentioned. CS's Applejack & Peel, Apples & Maple Bourbon, Basil & Herb, Buttered Rum (needs more rum), Creme Brulee, Honeysuckle Jasmine (better in palm than soy), Lavender Vanilla, Spiced Wassail, Oak Moss & Amber and Violet Lime are all good throwers for me. I have a few more that I haven't tested yet that show a lot of promise. I've also used their Frankincense & Myrrh and Nag Champa, and was not at all displeased, but I usually use these FOs from another supplier whose I like better.

Your pour temp won't be likely to have an effect on the HT, but the temp at which you add the FO will. If you're adding it at 175°-185°F, that's all good. My best suggestion is to try CDNs. They really work well in soy waxes.

Edited by Stella1952

Uh Ha...never thought about how the FP changes once introduced to the wax, good point! I'm going to test the CDN wicks, am I correct that these are what you speak ofStabilo KST (CDN) Wick ?

I will start with the wick size recommended for my jar size and go from there. Thank you!

Susan

IWantItGreen-I'll retest the ECO wicks and be diligent about trimming and see if that does help..I do like the LX tho for CBA

Stella-they're the Kerr canning jars from Walmart-3 1/4"-not the wide mouth...thanks for the support!

Kerr canning jars from Walmart-3 1/4"-not the wide mouth
Hmmm... Kerrs are the standard widemouth and are 3" inside diameter... Are you talking about the new Ball Elite collection? If so, try a CDN 16-18... The wide mouth 8 oz. take a 14; the WM 16 takes a 12-14, depending...
Stabilo KST (CDN) Wick?

Yes. Most folks refuse to change the nomenclature (including most suppliers) even though Heinz renamed them about 4 years ago... I gave up trying to call them Stabilo KSTs... but das whut dey is... :rolleyes2

I will start with the wick size recommended for my jar size
Ha, ha, ha, ha... :laugh2: For a standard 8 oz. jj, try a CDN 8 or 10. Edited by Stella1952

Stella-thanks for the info...here at my Walmart they offer the standard Kerr and the widemouth Kerr 16oz jars and I use the standard. I just started testing the LX and Eco wicks in 464...LX works great in CBA but what a 'shroom it created in the 464-Eco wick is burning much nicer and a little slower...I am going to try your suggestion and order some CDN's and hopefully find the perfect wick lol...I use CS and will have to research where to buy the cdn's-hopefully they'll have sample packs

Thanks! And this is why we test burn all the way to the end...on my 2nd burn with 464 the Eco is now burning much hotter and faster than the LX but I really don't care for either with this wax so I will be giving Wickit a call....