Bug repellent candles

jonsie

I know Summer and mosquito season is winding down in the U.S., but here in Australia, it's just about to kick off! So I'm thinking it's time for me to try some anti-skeeter candles.

I've been researching and reading up on stuff around CS and the Net, and I wondered, is it necessary to make a candle smoke to keep the mosquitos away? I'd test it myself but for some odd reason, the mosquitos stopped biting me years ago, making me a lousy test subject.

So would a smelly citronella/lemongrass eo candle do the trick even if it doesn't smoke?

You don't need your candle to smoke to be effective. Oregon Trails has "Bug Off" essential oil blend that works wonders in candles, lotion bars or a body spray. http://www.oregontrailsoaps.com/products.php?cat=9&scat=41

Or if you have any of the following EO's you can make your own: orange 10X, lemon eucalyptus, citronella, lemongrass, litsea cubeba, peppermint, spearmint, catnip (especially effective, but stinks).

Thank you everyone!

So I took a look at the Bug Off EO from Oregon Trails and seriously considering having some shipped to me here in Oz. In the meantime I may tinker with some of the EOs I have on hand. When they list the EOs in their mix and shows Orange 10x at the top, does that mean Orange 10x is the highest percentage, or did they randomly list the ingredients?

Edit to say... I tried to order a few ounces of Bug Off but I needed a minimum order of $15, and I didn't want to ship a whole pound all the way over here (especially if it leaks). Since I can't smell it, does this smell like oranges?

Edited by jonsie

You don't need your candle to smoke to be effective. Oregon Trails has "Bug Off" essential oil blend that works wonders in candles, lotion bars or a body spray. http://www.oregontrailsoaps.com/products.php?cat=9&scat=41

Or if you have any of the following EO's you can make your own: orange 10X, lemon eucalyptus, citronella, lemongrass, litsea cubeba, peppermint, spearmint, catnip (especially effective, but stinks).

Yup, I bought some from a member here, wessex I think, and it works fine. Real EO. Just get a decent sized melt pool or set several out.

I've heard of citronella for repelling mosquitoes but how does lemon grass and the others work? Are they as effective? I know mosquitoes are attracted to the carbon dioxide that we put off, so I guess these oils hide the carbon dioxide. I was just reading a site that said oil-of-eucalyptus is one of the most effective oils. Has anyone tried it with better success?

Actually lemon eucalyptus essential oil is more effective than plain eucalyptus. Catnip EO is about the most effective, but stinks to high heaven lol. If you use a combination of EO's you will get better protection than just using citronella. Do a google search for "bug repellent essential oils" and you'll get lots of info. :cool2: