starting out/testing

Hey Guys:

When starting out....trying to get my recipes down.....how many candles (usually) would you make (votives) to get the perfect candle. Also I am wondering how long ahead should I make candles to have them in stock. ( how long can paraffin candles keep?)

Paraffin last forever. I have seen candles 50 years old ... really. Bees wax last forever too. But soy is a different baby. They can look like crap as soon as they are poured but can last for a few years.

I have a paraffin candle in a square jar, that has no wet spots and still smells great, doesn't have a lid either. It's 15 years old, never burned it cause I made it to go in a jar with a shade. I love paraffin just hate the clean up, so I make soy.*dead horse*

candle testing is not considered by you to be "starting a business"? There always seems to be a lot of negativity (even unintended) toward new folks and their ventures....

I agree with Pam. I don't consider making a few candles to test "starting a business" either. It's starting a HOBBY that MIGHT turn into a business. The "negativity" is not meant to discourage anyone, it is to let people know that there is a LOT MORE to making safe, high quality candles than just melting some wax, loading it up with some FO, sticking a wick in and going to the local craft show and selling them to people. We try to get new folks to slow down and think this through for the sake of all concerned.

Many people have a year or more under their belts before they begin selling their candles because they are learning and are not experienced enough to be selling a product line that they have not had the time nor experience over time to have given due diligence. For people who make handcrafted candles, it reflects badly on ALL of us when inexperienced people begin selling too soon...

The Christmas season is upon us and many folks have decided to make candles to gift and sell who have never done so before. There isn't TIME to perform due diligence in product testing before Christmas! Every year many poorly made candles are gifted and sold by new folks during the holidays... I'm always delighted to see people get interested in candlemaking, but not with this kind of deadline looming... It's real important when manufacturing something that burns with an open flame that one has demonstrated their ability to consistently make a safe and satisfactory product, wouldn't you agree?

Buy a kit and get busy. I think once you begin to look at the dynamics of the business it will automatically turn you in the right direction. You have to think so many different aspects (labels, names, licenses, insurance) that it will take you a good year to develop your company name and identity. Read until you get your stuff and then have at it.

Steve

I think every craft or trade comes with different levels. I'm not sure it is necessary to be "master" level before selling, but a good journeyman level should be appropriate when on your own and maybe an advanced apprentice under the in person guidance and supervision of another. Just about every trade works that way. With rare exception, everyone on this board takes pride and diligence in the craft and I'm sure that is what I am reading above.

Testing is more than just one candle. For example, I've been working on a dripless carved taper. I pretty much have it now. Took a couple dozen carvings and burns to get there and its still not quite ready, but pretty close. I want the burn to terminate half way down the taper. Thought I had it worked out and on the 5th test, I had very serious problem with the wick. I'm so glad I didn't stop at one or two or three. I also learned that gloss coating is not a good idea as it can interact with the wick droppings in a bad way.

So I can appreciate that a simple candle from a kit may work kinda OK and that a more complex one takes a while to get it right. I also recall that one situation where CPSC made a candle company recall 7 million tealights because ONE got hot and warped the plastic case. That's a tough standard to live up to.

Thank you guys. This forum is a great resource. I am in no rush to start up a business tomorrow, although I have an entrepreneurial spirit and wouldn't mind being like a Yankee or Chesapeake Bay one day. My present job in the military comes first of course. Now I just need to figure out what candle fragrance to test first....lol