Soy Candles

I just bought my presto pot and seems I have some issues.

I melted 1lbs. soy wax KY125 with 1teaspoon coconut oil. Heat to 165 remove from pot - poured into another pot with FO of 1.5 ozs. Poured at 100. Its been 5 days went to check on the candles and it seems part of the FO is sitting on top of the wax. Seems I have been having so many issue ever since I started the presto pot. Does it not get hot enough? Can I re melt the wax and repour these?

I melted 1lbs. soy wax KY125 with 1teaspoon coconut oil. Heat to 165 remove from pot - poured into another pot with FO of 1.5 ozs. Poured at 100. Its been 5 days went to check on the candles and it seems part of the FO is sitting on top of the wax. Seems I have been having so many issue ever since I started the presto pot. Does it not get hot enough? Can I re melt the wax and repour these?

crazzie....I can tell you only from my own experience for quite a few years using the same Presto pot that it does get hot enough. I usually have to have mine on warm or just above for my soy/paraffin blend container wax and that keeps the temp of the wax at about 180-185ish. Sometimes I have to go up a notch or two. I recently just did 50 lbs of palm wax in there where I had it heat up over 200 degrees without any problems in the heating aspect. I now have other problems tho' which is another story.

Possibly you have a defective Presto? I don't see any reason why you cannot remelt and repour the ones that did not heat up enough to blend the fragrance oil with the wax unless your wax won't take 1.5 oz.

I haven't the slightest clue if this is related but there is another post where a member was having a terrible time getting her new fragrance oils (from a new supplier) to blend with the wax. She did end up returning them.

Edited by jeanie353

I use a presto pot. I turn it to 200 until the wax is melted then turn it down to just between warm and 200 (down to warm sometimes). I heat up my measuring cup in the microwave, ladle out my wax amount, add my FO (which is usually 1.5oz for 415 soy), stir well and pour.

It might be the fragrances you are using.

I always have another thermometer hanging in my PP. The best I have used is a candy/deep fryer submersible thermometer. One is made by Springfield the other is Rowoco. Can not find either online. Here is a link of similar ones.

http://www.capitalcityrestaurantsupply.com/prodDetail.cfm/1571519,Candy%20Deep%20Fry%20Thermometer%202-1%204%22%20dial%201,MX1

I use 435 soy wax and heat to around 165 too, add 1.5 FO per lb. I do have seepage sometimes, don't know why but it drives me nuts. It's not your PP it's the wax. But tomorrow you might get perfect, no leaking candle from the same batch. Maybe it's the weather??????

Just heat the tops of your candles with the heat gun and they should be fine.

AND DID I SAY I HATE SOY WAX!:mad:

Edited by Sharon in KY

Seems I have been having so many issue ever since I started the presto pot. Does it not get hot enough?
The Presto pot has zero to do with the issues you are having - it's just a pot. Look at the thermostat: it will heat all the way up to 400°F! The thermostat should never even be set as high as 200°F for melting soy waxes...

The Presto should have a thermometer inside it at all times. The candy thermometer is an excellent suggestion, but DO NOT let the bulb of the thermometer touch the bottom of the pot. The pour pot should have a thermometer clipped inside.

I stir almost constantly from melting to pouring soy wax. Stir gently - just enough to keep the wax moving but not so much as to cause air bubbles to form in the wax. I use a whisk frequently, but whisks are typically used for whipping air INTO things, so if you use one, don't stir with much energy. A wooden spoon with one hole in the middle is my favorite. Skewers are for BBQ not for stirring.

Pay attention to the environment when you are pouring. I assure you that if I poured candles today, that they would have some syneresis (droplets of oil on the surface) because it has been raining here for days, and the relative humidity is extremely high. Even in well-controlled indoor environment, there are enough changes in the relative humidity and temperature to cause issues with candles.

Is there a reason you are adding coconut oil or are you doing that because someone else thought it was a good idea? One teaspoonful isn't much, but 1 Tablespoonful is... you can only add so much total oil to a wax before it will begin to seep... Try 1 oz. of FO PP and nothing else and see how your candles come out. If you are adding the coconut oil to enhance hot throw, you are wasting coconut oil. It does not do anything toward this. If you are adding it to help smooth the texture, try using USA instead.

Can I re melt the wax and repour these?
Yes. If you have not already trimmed the wicks (never trim the wicks too soon!), you can simply melt them in a warm oven, stir a little in each candle carefully, turn the oven off and allow them to cool. Be sure to set them on a rack inside a pan in case of accident...

How many different soy waxes are you using, Crazzie? I thought you were using EcoSoya CBA, then NatureWax C3, then GB 464... I have lost count... Try sticking to one wax long enough to learn how to get good results from it, or you'll drive yourself...ummmm... crazzie!! LOL

Edited by Stella1952

Stella thanks for the info. I have been using KY125 have had excellent results, but now the only thing is the shipping cost! When they were located in KY it was cheaper that SC. Yes, I am driving myselt Crazzie! Just trying to pour that perfect candle!

Sounds to me that when you transferred the wax from your presto you lost some of the heat. That means it was under 165 when you added your FO. My experience with soy or most wax (except palm) for that matter is to heat to 185 and add FO. Then stir it thoroughly.

If you are going to transfer it to another pot for adding your FO then make sure that pot has a heating source to keep the temp constant. I use an electric flat griddle. I put my pour pots on that. When my wax is heated in my melter I transfer it to my pour pot. I keep the pour pot on the heated griddle to keep the temp constant while I add my dye and FO. Then I take it off the griddle and place on a pot holder on the counter to let it cool to pouring temp.

Edited by Candybee

Sounds to me that when you transferred the wax from your presto you lost some of the heat. That means it was under 165 when you added your FO. My experience with soy or most wax (except palm) for that matter is to heat to 185 and add FO. Then stir it thoroughly.

Thanks Candybee; that would make sense, before I was using the a little gas stove with a double broiler and never had problems. I also was very panicked in overheating in the presto pot, so when it hit the 165 I took it out immediately. Can you have the wax sit in the presto pot at 185 for say 1/2 hour while you are transfering it out?

Thanks for all the help! This forum is awesome!

I wouldn't use coconut oil. Also, stir the FO at least 2-3 minutes and then wait until the wax is slushy (very, very cool) before you pour it.

Just an FYI KY's 125 is GF/GB 414 same wax. I gua-ran-tee.

I guarantee I can't type. 415 is the same as 125. I don't believe they sold anything with cotton seed and 435 has it.

It's 64* this afternoon and I could pour the oil off the top of my tarts and make another batch. :angry2:

Edited by Sharon in KY

I guarantee I can't type. 415 is the same as 125. I don't believe they sold anything with cotton seed and 435 has it.

On the KY website the KY125 is listed as

Our original Soybean w/Cottonseed Blend

CONTAINER WAX

MP 125.

(FLAKES)

This would be the same as the gb435

The following would be equivalent to the GB415:

KyPure Soy 100% SoyBean Wax

CONTAINER WAX

MP 125

(FLAKES)