Paraffin Soy Blend

awnl

I've been using paraffin for over 15 years,recently I've been experimenting with soy :angry2: not to happy with its performance in containers.I tried eco soy advanced, straight. Can anyone suggest a parrafin to soy ratio?I'm hoping to have the best of both worlds. thanks for all you suggestions

Patti

You are more likely to get the worst of both of those worlds. For me 80% paraffin and 20% soy seems ok, the wicking you use for paraffin should still be ok and the appears becomes more opaque. There is a para/soy blend called 6006 which can be mixed with more soy (85% + 15%) for a final of 50/50, which works well. By working I mean burn, I haven't found that it improves FO throw of ones that don't work well in soy. In fact, some FOs that work well in paraffin are less strong in the 50/50. So in the end, what have you gained? If you want a creamier appearance try something like IGI 4630 or 4627 and don't mess with the soy. If you want an all vegetable wax candle then you'll have to out the paraffin and go through months of testing with the prospect of still being dissatisfied.

In my experience CB-Advanced gives a pretty candle but takes work to find FOs that work with it, I don't use it any more. If I had to use it up, then I'd make the 80/20 mix (para/soy).

I've been using paraffin for over 15 years,recently I've been experimenting with soy :angry2: not to happy with its performance in containers.I tried eco soy advanced, straight. Can anyone suggest a parrafin to soy ratio?I'm hoping to have the best of both worlds. thanks for all you suggestions

Patti

I have read where some on the board have made their own blends which work for them. Personally, I tried it with every combo I could imagine and drove myself crazy. Either they didn't throw, they wouldn't wick right or something. Finally, I found a soy/para blend from a supplier that gave me everything I was looking for and more. I am so pleased with it, I pay a lot of extra shipping to get it here from PA but for me it is personally worth it. Some get their waxes close by, save shipping costs and can produce a kick butt candle. I couldn't do it.

Good luck to you. I hope you find your perfect blend too :)

Patti

Since you are familiar with how your paraffin wax behaves you are partway there. I would test a few soy waxes to find one you like. Get to know it. Then start blending it with your paraffin in increments to see what % you like the best.

The parasoy blend I settled on was J223 blended 50/50% with Ecosoya CB135. I got excellent adhesion, little to no frosting, no wet spots, creamy opaqueness, and great H&C throw. I did end up using Rediglo dye chips which worked to eliminate frosting. I rarely had frosting if at all when I used them. I also added FO at 6% for most of my FOs and up to 7-8% for the lighter ones.