How to measure wax in large quantities

I make huge batches 42 pounds at a time and was wondering how those of you who do this measure your wax. I blend waxes which makes it even more difficult. Do you use a larger weighing scale, and multiply ingredients, or measure in say six pound quantities (cause thats what my container will hold (that is a normal size batch for me) and dump each 6 pound pitcher into the big pot? Hope this makes sense. I just made a few mistakes last year and want to make it less likely to miscount again, so measuring less often seems to accomplish this, but is a larger scale as accurate?

I use container palm wax that comes in bead form so I don't have your problem as its easy to weigh out. But I used to make a custom parasoy blend so I know you have to measure out each wax before adding it to your melter for a custom blended wax. Plus the paraffin came in a slab and the soy was in flake form so I had to weigh each out slightly different but still come up with the right wax percentages for my custom blend.

Why can't you just use a good bathroom scale that measures in pounds & ounces? That way you don't have to buy anything if you already have a good one. Then use a large plastic bucket to weigh out each wax. Make sure you have one that will hold up to 20 lbs or more so its big enough for each wax. Home Depot/Lowes, etc. carries large plastic buckets dirt cheap. Put the bucket on the scale and weigh it. Then put in your wax and subtract the bucket weight as a bathroom scale doesn't tare (unless you can find a large scale that does tare). Then put weighed wax into your melter. Repeat for each wax you use until you have your blend right. Weighing in pounds and ounces is fine for wax. For your additives use your scale that weighs in lbs/oz/gm. You want precise weights for additives so make sure your scale measures in tenths of ounces like most soaper/chandler scales use.

Accurate, precision scales are very expensive. I haven't seen accuracy claims on any of the scales that we would buy (food or body weight) but if they were +/- 1% or more I would not be surprised. If that is true, weighing smaller batches and adding them together would probable be more accurate that using a bathroom scale and larger amount of wax. That said, how accurate do you need to be? Would 3% to 5% either way make that big of a difference?

unless you buy a scientific scale you will find they are all +/- 1% You can always test your scale as well. for example a nickel weighs exactly 5 grams. If your scale doesn't go down to grams than just find some other household item you know the weight on and use that instead. 3% off isn't that big of a deal in small quantities but when you start getting into large amounts like your 42 lbs melt sessions, You are than looking at variations of pounds. 1.26# at 3% 1.5# @ 5%.

Personally I'd be hesitant using bathroom scales.

I seriously doubt that using a good bathroom scale is gonna put your wax weight off by as much as 2-3 lbs or more. I have a digital bathroom scale that measures in lbs, oz, and tenths of oz. Its very accurate and I got it at Kmart. If it were an older model analog scale or one you were not sure of its accuracy then of course I would not recommend it. But there is no reason to disqualify a good accurate scale. Even a good bathroom scale. Plus if you already have one it costs you nothing and they are fairly inexpensive.

I seriously doubt that using a good bathroom scale is gonna put your wax weight off by as much as 2-3 lbs or more. I have a digital bathroom scale that measures in lbs, oz, and tenths of oz. Its very accurate and I got it at Kmart. If it were an older model analog scale or one you were not sure of its accuracy then of course I would not recommend it. But there is no reason to disqualify a good accurate scale. Even a good bathroom scale. Plus if you already have one it costs you nothing and they are fairly inexpensive.

which is why I suggested to test the accuracy of the scale with something you know the weight on. I'm pretty sure any digital scale you find today though won't be off by more than a 1% anyway. I'd still test any scale I bought to ensure it is accurate. I test mine before using it each time.

If 6 lbs is what you have then I would measure/weigh with that. Figure your wax formula for 6lbs and you'll have it correct every time. Adding to your heating pot 6 lbs at a time would not be that bad. I personally could not lift that much weight. I measure/weigh in a four lb pitcher and melt 30lbs at a time.

Weighing in the smaller 6lb. batches was time consuming and not as accurate as it should have been due to the fact that I kept forgetting where I was in the count and messed up on a few large batches. Somehow I got to the 7th pitcher full of soy and it wouldn't fit in the melter. I was like ok, what did I do? What did I add to much of....Crazy, I couldn't add to 7, lol. So I started using a method where every batch I would pour in a penny would go on the shelf. That way I knew how many I had in there! It is just so time consuming to measure out each thing and then by the time I'd finish measuring everything for that batch I'd forget where I was in the count for the big batch. My digital bathroom scale is off cause when I ship a large box it is different when I get to the post office. I was thinking that I would invest in the 25lb. scale. That would work pretty well, I think. It would be alot to lift and pour into the melter though. I am a weakling. A step stool would help. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Dana I run into the same problems when I was weighing out my wax to put in my melter. I would sometimes lose track of my count. There are postal scales you can get that weigh up to 30 lbs. I don't know the cost of them but scales can get pricey. I think Staples and other office supply carry them.

This may be a bit off topic but you can earn customer reward money from Staples by buying ink and paper there. It helps me save on whatever I buy there. Sometimes I go in with as much as $25 in rewards. I use a lot of ink & paper because I print my own labels, biz cards, marketing materials, etc. Just a thought as it can help towards buying a new scale if you already shop there.

I found one on ebay for 50 bucks and that includes shipping! It is a Salter Brecknell. I don't know much about that brand but they make many types of scales so I would imagine it would be a fairly good one. Anyone have one of these that can share some consumer reports?