Unscented Ornies

pcbrook

I have to ask the obvious question: WHY would you have 'parts' of an ornie that is unscented? You'd be able to smell the other parts that are scented so I'm not really understanding that reasoning...unless you meant that you're making a whole batch of unscented ornies....now that would make sense ;-)

But to answer your question, any light carrier oil should do the trick (as long as your colorants are oil-based)

To EricofAZ: ornies = http://www.candlesupply.com/how2aromaornies.html

Edited by number2of7

I know it sounds crazy but the other parts of the ornies ARE scented and they are big enough to carry the scent. The unscented parts are just decorations for the ornies. They are added to the ornies that are already scented. I am doing a little experimenting.

I have thought about adding FO to that part too but then I would have a hundred different jars laying around that are a hundred different colors and fragrances. Just trying to save a little space. Well okay, I am exaggerating a little. More like 50 jars sitting around! :)

Exactly what do you mean by carrier oil? What else is there besides mineral oil? I do use liquid candle dye so that is oil based.

Thanks for your help!

A light carrier oil such as sweet almond oil, olive oil, sunflower, etc -- these are far less greasy than mineral oil and may work out better. I'm just thinking mineral oil will leave the beads greasy? Maybe not, but I guess you could try the mineral and then one of the others I mentioned above and see what works better for you.

Oh, okay, I understand. I have some mineral oil here so I will try a small amount to see what it does. If they are too greasy I will try the other oils. Thanks so much for your advice. I was not sure if anything else would absorb into the beads besides FOs.

Actually, that is what I do for something does not need color but I was not sure how to add color to the beads without FO. I am going to play around with it tonight to see how the mineral oil works, but if it is too oily I will have to see about using something else. I do not think you can add dye without something else with it to spread the dye around. If that makes sense.

I haven't tried it but you might want to try rubbing alcohol of the oils fail. Most dyes will dissolve into the alcohol and if you just leave them out the alcohol will just evaporate hopefully depositing the color onto the beads. I would probably only do about a teaspoon or two of alcohol to a pound of beads though, just enough to coat it lightly. Just a thought.

I tried the mineral oil last night and does not seem to be absorbing too good. I am going to give that alcohol a try just because I have some here at home. If that does not work I will buy one of the other oils suggested and see how that works.

The alcohol did not work too good. The dye did not mix with it very good. I also tried adding a little dye to the alcohol and then mixing and then adding the beads and the beads still look all speckled.

I will be stopping at the store to pick up some sunflower oil or whatever I can find.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, now that the board is back I can let everyone know what I found out. Olive oil did not work. I tried DPG and that did not work either. The oil did not want to absorb. Even after a few days! I did get some advice about just trying it without any oil so I will give that a try next time I need to make some and see how that works!

Just in case your 'decoration' spots are small I found that the little tubes of Polymark work well on ornies. They are dimensional fabric paints found in Walmart craft section (and other places). I make football ornies and paint the laces and white lines at the ends. I let them sit out to dry overnight and then package. It doesn't melt, fall off or discolor.

Just a veg oil from you kitchen might work. I have used the color alone before and most times it is not even but it doesn't bother me. Might want to call the manufacturer direct to see which oil absorbs the best. I know someone on here knew what they are called and who makes them but I can't remember.

I use glitter to make mine colored in certain areas. You can get straight colored glitter in shakers at most craft stores and they do have a variety of colors. post-13471-139458484673_thumb.jpg This is one that I had colored blue and then needed a gold outline for a special order. Worked very well. I've got plenty of others that I did the same way. You sprinkle the glitter into the areas you want before you melt it. The glitter works its way through the beads and adheres to it very well.