Maybe a turkey fryer What Kind??

You can buy turkey fryers most anywhere. Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe's etc. If you've never done a turkey before, remember this advice...BEFORE you add your oil to cook, put your turkey in and fill with water to just over top of turkey. Take turkey out and mark side of fryer with the water level. That way you do not over fill your fryer with oil. You definitely don't want it to over flow with hot oil.

You can buy turkey fryers most anywhere. Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe's etc. If you've never done a turkey before, remember this advice...BEFORE you add your oil to cook, put your turkey in and fill with water to just over top of turkey. Take turkey out and mark side of fryer with the water level. That way you do not over fill your fryer with oil. You definitely don't want it to over flow with hot oil.

lol !

:laugh2:

Wait... who the heck uses turkey fryers to actually FRY TURKEYS?:shocked2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Thats what I was thinking! Got mine at Walmart to melt soy wax! Also use my rice cooker for M&P soap making! Isn't that what kitchen supply stores are for?:laugh2:

Edited by Candybee

do a google search for turk and surf I think is what I used, you can find a few places that sell that specific fryer but it isn't being made anymore from what I can tell.

I am researching fryers as well and I'm still not sure if any fryer is ok to use or just the electric ones. I think I'm confusing myself because I always thought you don't melt wax directly from the heat source and it appears to me at least, that is exactly what you do with these fryers.

I always used the double pot method but I would like to be able to be more efficient and pour more than what I can with that method.

Hey guys...give the girl a break. She was just trying to be helpful:) I think that's a great tip if you will be frying a turkey. Wish I had know it before last Thanksgiving:)

Back to using an electric turkey fryer for candlemaking. The trick is to always keep the coils covered with wax, never let the wax level go below that point and control the temp.

Jack, you might think about getting a couple of Presto Pots (available at Walmart, Target etc) They are great for melting wax. Much better than the double pot method.

Hey guys...give the girl a break. She was just trying to be helpful:) I think that's a great tip if you will be frying a turkey. Wish I had know it before last Thanksgiving:)

Back to using an electric turkey fryer for candlemaking. The trick is to always keep the coils covered with wax, never let the wax level go below that point and control the temp.

Jack, you might think about getting a couple of Presto Pots (available at Walmart, Target etc) They are great for melting wax. Much better than the double pot method.

Hope the OP doesn't think I'm threadjacking. My apologies. What about the propane fryers or are those not used and just the electric ones for the element immersion?

I bought one off e bay. The stores around here do not carry turkey fryers but home depot had a propane one. I live in a rural area. Thanks for your help and the cooking tip always good to know.

Hope the OP doesn't think I'm threadjacking. My apologies. What about the propane fryers or are those not used and just the electric ones for the element immersion?

I don't really know about the propane ones...I certainly wouldn't want to try it since you can't control the temp digitally. Search is kind of wonky right now but if you search "turkey fryer" you may find lots of older thread about using them. Many chandlers who do large production use and love them.

I have three presto pots and love them. You can get several pounds of wax (I think up to 8) in them. I keep one full of my parasoy container blend, one with my tart

wax and use the other just to play around with all the waxes I've accumulated over the years. You can ever buy the kind that have been altered with a pour spout. I don't use the pour spount on the one that has it. Just dip with a ladle or measuring cup. I keep my pour pot warm on a griddle. HTH

Thanks ah-soy :)..................Glad I could give everybody a laugh, hope it brightened your day at least!

Oh, I think people were just joshing with you. Chandlers rarely use a turkey fryer to cook a turkey. Just to melt wax. It was a bit funny though:)

I've had a Masterbuilt turkey fryer for about 4 years now. It melts 25 pounds or more in less than 30 minutes, digital read out and a pour spout. I dread the day it quits on me and really should go ahead and purchase another one just in case. Sometimes you can find them at Pro-Bass shops or close-outs but Ebay is the easiest place. You won't be sorry for the investment, whether you are small time or otherwise. It also has a stainless steel tub that easily lifts out for cleaning. Some people use turkey roasters, which are available at wally world for a small price. They too have temp controls but you have to dip your wax out with a ladle. HTH

Steve

Edited by chuck_35550

What about the propane fryers
I don't think that would be a good solution because a propane fryer would just be a larger version of putting a pot of wax on a gas stove.

Unless, of course, you're frying a turkey! For actual cooking, get the propane system which can also be used for boiling crawfish, shrimp and crabs! :drool: