Idea , please read :)

darrell

Ok, I am a new startup and looking to keep my costs as low as possible. As I sit in the garage and ponder on how to do this with a cold one :) I said to myself "Self, there are plenty people like me who are trying to cut costs, what if I got a group of people in the general area and made one trip to the supply house". Say charge a flat rate of say $10.00

for your order ? My GF says no, other bussiness' do not want you to know what they are using and my response was it's just wax , that is your biggest shipping cost. I could care less if anyone knows what type of wax I use , it's just WAX :) Do you think this would work and has it been tried in the past ? Seems like a win win to me. I know for 25lbs of wax the shipping is approx $17.00 shipping. Now if someone told me they would get me 25lbs , 50lbs or even 100lbs for say $10.00 holy crow.

I don't know, just throwing ideas out there. Comments ??????

It's called a co-op, Darrell. When you have been here 30 days you can participate in co-ops; when you have been here 6 months you can host one. It's in the Marketplace section.

I have participated in some great co-ops and been burned in some by people who bit off more than they could chew...

It's called a co-op, Darrell. When you have been here 30 days you can participate in co-ops; when you have been here 6 months you can host one. It's in the Marketplace section.

I have participated in some great co-ops and been burned in some by people who bit off more than they could chew...

aha, thanks georgia, it does kinda make sense. at least now i can tell my girlfriend i am not crazy for thinking of something like that :)

I think it would work if you could find enough wax buyer in your geographic area. I don't think a co-op for wax, on this board, would work as whoever ran the co-op would run into the same high shipping cost to get the wax out to those who participate. Seems to me you'd (or someone) would have to make the drive and then everyone who participated would need to drive to your house to pick up their wax. Their gas cost, driving time, plus whatever "fee" your charging needs to be worthwhile.

I think it would work if you could find enough wax buyer in your geographic area. I don't think a co-op for wax, on this board, would work as whoever ran the co-op would run into the same high shipping cost to get the wax out to those who participate. Seems to me you'd (or someone) would have to make the drive and then everyone who participated would need to drive to your house to pick up their wax. Their gas cost, driving time, plus whatever "fee" your charging needs to be worthwhile.

kinda agree with ya on that but that is why i was thinking like general area, somewhere close say within an hr.... but like georgia stated it already exists with the co-op , can't wait til i am old enough to get in there :)

kinda agree with ya on that but that is why i was thinking like general area, somewhere close say within an hr.... but like georgia stated it already exists with the co-op , can't wait til i am old enough to get in there :)

The majority of co ops have items mailed, not picked up. CS members are scattered all over! lol

But that is why smaller (lighter) items work well for co-ops- unless there was a really good discount for buying in such a bulk, the shipping costs would likely be the same as ordering directly from suppliers.

But, yes, once you are old enough, you will find some GREAT items for sale in the classies!

can't wait til i am old enough to get in there :)

It will be the LONGEST 30 days of your life! Trust me, I just went through it! Luckily I have a trip coming up in 2 weeks that is helping me pace myself. I know I can't spend extra money right now because I have to pay for that trip. :rolleyes2

Its a great idea if you know several candle makers in your area and they are cooperative.

Problem is-- they are your direct competition being in your area and may not warm up to your offer.

Also, how well do you know them? Some people are just bums. Eg., someone wants wax but won't have the money until 2 days after your trip. You think you know them so you agree to goa ahead and purchase their wax but then find out they can't come out to pick up on the agreed date and ask you to deliver it. Now you are stuck with the wax and the money out your pocket unless you drive out to meet them. Only they are an hours drive or more from you. Is it still worth it? Do they end up paying you? You have to know these people really well and not except any excuses, which, btw, is gonna happen.