What am I doing you ask?

Well, I seem to be in an experimental phase at the moment and blending the waxes that I have on hand. Too many experiments I think but each one teaches me something. Here is the short list:

- Blending GW464 and GW444; why? melt pools were getting too deep too fast with just 464 with the dual CD-5 wicks in the 8oz apothecary. Warmer rooms didn't help either. Adding in the higher MP 444 has corrected the issue and not impacted HT. This might prove useful info for the future.

- Blending 464 and 6006; I am obsessed with not only getting a good HT but having clean glass throughout the burn, not just at them end when the container is the only heat sink left. I tried straight 6006 (para/soy blend) but I don't like the shrinkage or burn properties. It also did not help with some FO which did not perform well in the 464. What I did like were the cleaner glass walls so here I go blending. Results are encouraging and I may use this for a FO that doesn't work all that well in straight soy.

- Blending GW464 and Coconut wax; there was a thread a while back about Coco wax (Accu-Pure) so I decided to try some. This came about because of the non-availability of non-crystallizing palm wax so I am looking for alternatives. The coco being a softer wax than the 464 might help in keeping cleaner containers. Yes this seems contrary to the first experiment listed but it's fun to try. Even though it is softer, it appears to have a higher melting point. A 25% coco mix does seem to promote a cleaner container but it might be impacting HT, a longer cure time has been suggested but first things first.

So there are some projects that are on going. I am always testing with 6% FO and using scents that I have experience with, this let's me judge how the blend impacts HT. CD wicks are used for all the tests and detailed notes are kept too. Am I closer to having items to sell? Well, not yet but I'm have loads of fun.

When you say cleaner containers are you talking about the wax residue that 464 leaves clinging to the glass? Does paraffin help? This is one of the things I dislike about 464, the glass is messy during the burn but mine burn well all the way to the bottom.

I'm just playing around with 464 some for the first time.

When you say cleaner containers are you talking about the wax residue that 464 leaves clinging to the glass? Does paraffin help? This is one of the things I dislike about 464, the glass is messy during the burn but mine burn well all the way to the bottom.

I'm just playing around with 464 some for the first time.

Yes, that residue is annoying, I get it on some containers but not all, might have to do with the temp of the melt pool or the shape of the container. I will post some pictures. The addition of paraffin does seem to help but that kills the all-soy label but that may not matter in the end. If you want to discuss 464, shoot me a message.

Disclaimer:

Now don't get mad at me, but I'm gonna tell you what I really think here and I'm not gonna mince words. I'm not gonna be mean - just realistic. For all the straight-talk police - all of what I write is prefaced by IMHO by default (which I assume would be understood).

The quixotic search for a squeaky clean soy candle container is, IMHO, a fool's errand, severe OCD or both. Some milky residue can be expected for a safely wicked soy candle. We are dealing with an opaque, milky white, viscous wax, for heaven's sake! If you drink Sprite, your glass is clean (however sticky) when finished. When drinking a milk shake, however, the glass will NOT be clean, but the contents have been enjoyed to their fullest nonetheless. If all you have to criticize about your candles is a thin film of residue, I'd suggest that you should be counting your blessings. The trade-off for that just-out-of-the-dishwasher clean container is to overwick, risking a hot container and burning off the FO.

having clean glass throughout the burn, not just at them end

Rotsa ruck. This defies physics and flies in the face of a safely wicked candle. This goal may be achievable, but will severely limit your choice of glassware as well as FO.

Time to walk away from the lab, dear. Have a glass of something pleasing to the palate. You are nitpicking your candles in a microscopic way that is akin to chasing windmills. If you are pursuing this goal for your own burning pleasure, fine - have a blast. But if you ever expect to make a viable product, you are obsessing over trivialities. Individual environmental conditions where your customers burn your candles will defeat your goal. Try using frosted glass if the residue disturbs you so badly. There's more to life than a clean container...

My sage advice (not that it was requested...): Go blow up something colorful - it'll make you feel better about the whole deal and the kids in your neighborhood will enjoy the view. :smiley2:

Edited by Stella1952

I hear you Stella and I know you are right but some of these containers have more that a little residue on them and they are straight sided. Was trying not to wick up to keep them cooler but I understand what you are saying. On the other hand, this does provide some learning experience, I'm not OCD so I will give up at some point. i wanted to try blending to see how it changed the quality of the candle, it's quite interesting. That said, I need to spend more time testing FO to get ready for the Fall and Winter.

Seriously if you are aiming for a 'clean' glass glass glow container palm does this. Glass looks like it just came out of the dishwasher clean.

Yes, I did try GG and it did keep the glass clean but mixing it with GW464 produced a gosh ugly candle, if non-crystallizing container palm was available in the USA I'd buy some for sure.

Non Crystalising palm is not the be all and end all. It works for Richard and thats great but I got some and it was a terrible pita to use. On its own it makes one butt ugly candle after burning (worse than any soy I have used). I bought 5 kg of it to play around with but I wont waste my money again. Just goes to show what works for one does not mean it will work for you. It still has frosting when blended with 464 for me. I prefer GG when it comes to palm. I found 444 did leave the glass cleaner at the end than 464 and I think it has a better throw. Thats just my opinion.

Edited by Tribalvixen
added something

Non Crystalising palm is not the be all and end all. It works for Richard and thats great but I got some and it was a terrible pita to use. On its own it makes one butt ugly candle after burning (worse than any soy I have used). I bought 5 kg of it to play around with but I wont waste my money again. Just goes to show what works for one does not mean it will work for you. It still has frosting when blended with 464 for me. I prefer GG when it comes to palm. I found 444 did leave the glass cleaner at the end than 464 and I think it has a better throw. Thats just my opinion.

Do you see any value in blending 464 and 444, or is it just better to make 444 work?

I use 415 and learned to make it work, I just can't really add colorant to it or I have terrible frosting, but the scent throw is great with that wax. I haven't tried adding anything to it for sale, but I have played around with some wax blends. I am only testing 464 so I can have a fall line that has some color in it. If I were to take on another wax I would just work and work and find FO's etc that would work with that wax. I understand that the 444 has a good scent throw, I would start with that one.

GW 464 does not frost much in my hands and I get nice tops, I was finding that in the AZ heat the melt pool was getting deeper than when I first started so addine some 444 tamed that somewhat. No ill effects on frosting or tops ether. Throw seemed unaffected too. Color addition is not a problem if you want pastels. I usually add between 1 to 2 drops of Peaks liquid dye. Frosting occasionally shows in patches and wet spots do occur. 415 would not appeal to me if I could not add color.

comparing 415 to 464 in the throw category there just isn't much of a comparison. So I'm using what I know but I want to color tarts without much frosting so I'm playing around a bit with 464.

What temp are you pouring 464 at in AZ? I am in Amarillo with similar humidity and heat right now.

Is 415 really that much better that 464? (sigh) What's another 10 pounds of a new wax to try...

I pour 464 at 160 to 170, almost never get bad tops, don't know whether this hurts or help the frosting issue but I don't get much.