today's experiment.. ice cream anyone?

ksranch

Wow! Looks great! I have to ask, though...is that a plastic spoon in there?

Yes, but just the end of it, and only for the picture - not to worry, I wouldn't let it leave with it - be my luck they would burn with it in there!

Yes, but just the end of it, and only for the picture - not to worry, I wouldn't let it leave with it - be my luck they would burn with it in there!

I make loads of these faux food type candles and have sold hundreds over the years. Your candle looks terrific, but I have a couple of questions/comments. I hope you take them constructively.

Be careful with that curlyque wick. I have found that although ALOT of people sell their candles like this(and they do look cute), no matter what kind of warning you may put on it, some people will always try to light it without trimming the wick. More people than you think buy them to burn, not just sit on the shelf, and I have heard of horrible accidents that people have had with this type candle because of the curly wick, especially if it's primed.

Have you test burned that candle? If you haven't underwicked it so it tunnels slightly, it looks like it would overflow. If it does, make sure you have some kind of warning, so that people don't think they can set this right on the counter or table and light without having a mess all over everything. :tiptoe:

I make loads of these faux food type candles and have sold hundreds over the years. Your candle looks terrific, but I have a couple of questions/comments. I hope you take them constructively.

Be careful with that curlyque wick. I have found that although ALOT of people sell their candles like this(and they do look cute), no matter what kind of warning you may put on it, some people will always try to light it without trimming the wick. More people than you think buy them to burn, not just sit on the shelf, and I have heard of horrible accidents that people have had with this type candle because of the curly wick, especially if it's primed.

Have you test burned that candle? If you haven't underwicked it so it tunnels slightly, it looks like it would overflow. If it does, make sure you have some kind of warning, so that people don't think they can set this right on the counter or table and light without having a mess all over everything. :tiptoe:

I will take everything constructively - and appreciate all comments! I wondered about the curly wick too. What I had planned on doing (for now while I'm pretty much selling to people I know or through parties where I have direct contact) is including a card that gives specifics including trimming the wick and placing it on something (such as a plate) suitable for catching any wax that could run over until the "toppings" are burned off. I have indeed done 2 test burns, and both times I got just enough tunnelling that the sides would curl in slightly, therefore also burning off, but without run off. However, I sure don't trust everyone to burn it under optimal conditions, so will include the guidelines and warnings. I'm also suggesting removing the fruit embeds as they are unscented and I don't want that to detract from the scent throw expectations. Again, thanks for speaking up, I am relatively new at this and have been trying a lot of different things, thoughts from you all (more experience) are much appreciated.

I will take everything constructively - and appreciate all comments! I wondered about the curly wick too. What I had planned on doing (for now while I'm pretty much selling to people I know or through parties where I have direct contact) is including a card that gives specifics including trimming the wick and placing it on something (such as a plate) suitable for catching any wax that could run over until the "toppings" are burned off. I have indeed done 2 test burns, and both times I got just enough tunnelling that the sides would curl in slightly, therefore also burning off, but without run off. However, I sure don't trust everyone to burn it under optimal conditions, so will include the guidelines and warnings. I'm also suggesting removing the fruit embeds as they are unscented and I don't want that to detract from the scent throw expectations. Again, thanks for speaking up, I am relatively new at this and have been trying a lot of different things, thoughts from you all (more experience) are much appreciated.

I can almost guarantee you that, depending on how many of these you sell, with or without warnings, someone won't trim that wick before they light it, so I'm glad it's slightly underwicked. That way they'll have time to blow it out and trim the wick before they have a torch. Depending on what the fragrance load of the actual candle is, you really don't have to tell them to remove the fruit embeds. There aren't that many on there that they would change the scent throw. And people just want to see the "whole" candle burning. The wick and non wax embellishments like the plastic spoon and/or straws, paper umbrellas, etc. are the things I don't include anymore because whether you tell them verbally or in writing to remove them first, there's always that one that won't. They simply see them in/on the candle and think they must be safe.:tiptoe:

Edited by Bernadette

• 1 year later...

Hi KS!!!

Beautiful job !!!! I also make candles "that are over the top". Offering your customers something different such as the candle you have made is a VERY smart idea!! :cheesy2: Your customers can't go to Walmart or Yankee Candle or Virginia Candle or Scentsy or anywhere else and buy such a gorgeous candle and people LOVE something "different"!! But anyhow these types of candles just don't look right unless they are over and above the rim of the jar that you are making them in...I tried it and they just don't look right. They are quite impressive and beautiful made just the way you made yours! :drool: What I decided to do to take care of any problem with overflow is that I include a candle pan (the price of which I include in the price of the candle) and if your customer already has purchased one of these candles that came with a pan, I would also offer these priced without a candle pan. I also offer pip berry rings/potpourri to place around the bottom of the candle (once the overflow problem is gone). There are some wonderful potpourri companies out there that you could buy beautiful potpourri accents to go around the bottom of this candle. I hope this helps. I would leave out the plastic spoon and anything flammable, definitely leave the embeds ..people don't need to remove those...will be fine as is, trim wick, but don't change the look of your candle , it is beautiful just the way it is!! :yay:

Edited by puma52

Hi Lorelei,

For my candles I pour 4786 container wax into the bottom of the jar . For the embeds and whipped wax I use a 50/50 blend of votive 4794 and pillar 4625 and add 1 t per lb of vybar. I scent everything... embeds and whipped wax included. Makes beautiful candles!! I have gotten rave reviews from my customers on these candles. If you haven't tried them you should...they are so darned fun to make!! :cheesy2: