Rippling problems..

I did search, and found some things on this issue, but most said it was due to too much vybar. I'm using a blend and don't have control of how much is in it. It's an old blend from Blended Waxes Inc BW902A - my reasearch (which could be questionable) is that it is like J50 or IGI4636. Anyone know if this is accurate? And, anything I can do/add to avoid the rippling? On this candle it only did it on the first few layers... you can really see it on the white...

post-13514-139458482015_thumb.jpg

Okay, that makes sense. I preheated the mold, but didn't think about the sand! I'll have to wager that the sand 'absorbed' the heat off the mold for the first pour(s) - by the time I got into the latter ones the sand was good and warm and keeping the mold warm.. Okay, so next time maybe put some hot water in the mold and set it in the sand while prepping the wax..

Thank you!

Keep water away from your molds. Water causes rust with tin molds and water and wax don't mix, unless you're doing an ice candle. I don't necessarily think you need to heat your molds before using them. Just pour your wax at a hotter temperature or pour your wax and hit the sides of the mold with heat from a heat gun.

Edited by Scented

I don't see jump lines either. I see what looks like small craters caused by air.

I can see a bit of pitting too. I still like the look of it. But I can see how if you are trying to get it to be smooth you won't want the pits and frosting.

Did you try tapping on the side of the mold after you poured to coax the air bubbles out? I'd also try leaving my mold at room temp to pour and I also let the wax sit in the pour pot a couple minutes after stirring in my dye & FO to allow some of the air bubbles to rise out before pouring. I also do the mold tapping. It helps.

Edited by Candybee

You guys are awesome. Same mold, same temp wax today - little test - no water (thanks for the warning) hit it with my heat gun just before pouring and got an awesome flawless result! Myself, I don't mind the look of the first one either, but some like it perfect, so want to know how to do both. Really appreciate everyone's help. Now if I could just figure out how to get the votives to not do that (not that I mind, but..) I'll put an example on the candle forum cause I haven't figured out how to attach a pic to a response here yet - lol Really, thanks again!