? about mixing the gallon lotion base

macyboutique

I make a big batch of lotion in my large stainless bowl. Then weigh it out in a pyrex measuring cup, add fo, color, etc. mix it with a hand mixer and then pour into the bottles. Clean and sanitize the cup and mixer and do it again with another fo, color, etc.

I weigh my lotion in a zip lock bag (use only the freezer kind), then add my color and scent and squish the day lights out of it. That's the reason for the freezer kind, the regular zip lock bags don't lock very well, don't ask how I know that. I use the gallon size if I'm doing more than 24 oz of a scent and just the quart size if I'm just doing a small batch of 16-24 oz. I've been doing it like that for 4 years, and have never had a problem incorporating the oils and colors into the lotions. You can pretty much see how it's mixing since it's clear, you just have to kneed it real good. BTW, I only use a base, I'm sure it would be different if you are making from scratch. HTH

I weigh my lotion in a zip lock bag (use only the freezer kind), then add my color and scent and squish the day lights out of it. That's the reason for the freezer kind, the regular zip lock bags don't lock very well, don't ask how I know that. I use the gallon size if I'm doing more than 24 oz of a scent and just the quart size if I'm just doing a small batch of 16-24 oz. I've been doing it like that for 4 years, and have never had a problem incorporating the oils and colors into the lotions. You can pretty much see how it's mixing since it's clear, you just have to kneed it real good. BTW, I only use a base, I'm sure it would be different if you are making from scratch. HTH

I do this too and it works great. I never make large batches of lotion because I don't sell it yet, so this is the best method for me.

If I'm not making a large batch, I spoon it out of the bucket, into a disposable cup, weigh it, and dump it in the container I will be using. I add a teensy drop of dye, the appropriate amount of fragrance oil, and then stir it all up in the jar I put it in.

If I will be making 4 or more bottles, after weighing the lotion, I dump it all in one giant glass measuring bowl/cup.

I think alot of people from what i read, but some in a zip lock baggie and mix everything in their then they cut the corner on the bag and squeeze it out into the bottle.

I couldn't have said it better myself!! This is the only way I do it as I only make small batches! I'm a penny pincher and this is the best way not to waste any that I've found- I get every last bit I can out of the bag. Using a dropper to add the FO is a must and don't get to zealous kneading or you'll end up with holes in the baggie (ask me how I know :undecided). I use cheap walmart brand sandwich zip baggies as well and can mix one 8oz lotion in the bag. I haven't had any problems with the colorant or FO not incorporating when kneading. Everyone has their own way guess you'll have to try each way and see what works best for you. :wink2: P.S. the baggie method is fun too as long as the top doesn't come undone -LOL