4627 Smoke

Help! New to candle making. Attempting to formulate a line of candles using IGI 4627 Comfort Blend with 1.3 oz/lb of tropical type scents from Peak (Plumeria, Sweet Pea, Mango/Papaya, etc.). I am getting pretty heavy smoke using HTP wicks that are sized to burn to the edge of my 8 oz tall tin, coconut bowl (3 inch), and monkey pod bowl (3 inch). Of course the smaller wicks do not burn completely and do not smoke much.

I am trimming the wicks to 1/4 inch each time I burn. I am thinking of switching to LX wicks, but since Peak suggests HTP wicks for 4627, I am wondering why they are not working...

Maybe a harder wax is in order?

Since it's a one pour paraffin wax I would back off on the fragrance oil to 1 oz. per lb. of wax. I bought a 25 block of 4627 to mix with soy several years ago but never poured it straight. But I used to be a J50 and J223 user...plus other types of paraffin and never went over 1 oz./lb. I used zinc wicks back then but did switch to HTP when I starting using a higher melt point paraffin with vybar to prevent mottling.

Hopefully some others that use 4627 can give you more advice.

I have no idea what an 8 oz tall tin is. Nor do I have a clue what a coconut and monkey pod bowl is. I have used HTP wicks with comfort blend for years. I recently tried LX and talk about smoke and mushrooming! I abandoned that silly notion fast!

You don't say the diameter of your tins and you don't say which size wicks you used. You also don't say how many times you burned with the smaller wicks. Typically, it takes 2 or 3 burns to get a full melt pool.

You need to experiment with different wicks before you consider changing wax. IMO, comfort blend gives the best scent throw, period. I wouldn't give up on it.

Also, consider double wicking.

I agree the FO load you are using is not necessary and could be the reason you are getting smoke. Typically smoking wicks are caused by too large a wick, the wrong wick type, or too much FO. I would start trying out the standard 6% FO load (1 oz per lb) and if you still are experiencing smoke then try another wick.

What size wick are you using? I agree that the fo load should be cut back a bit, but without knowing what size wick you are using, can't really help. Personally, as sliver of wax said...I think that 4627 is the best wax and wouldn't dream of changing it. I love it and also use htp wicks with it exclusively.

• 2 months later...

Sliver and Candybee,

I wanted to tell you thanks for all the help you've given me these past months. I've been doing a lot of reading and testing and finally put out some testers to family to get feedback. I made some jars, tarts, votives, smelly Jellies, & Pillars. I want your advise on everything of course but I’ll start with the jars first. I hope you don't mind. ;)

I sent a survey and I asked if they were strong, fair, faint, none. All came back in the fair to faint. Everyone that came back also said I needed to add more fragrance to the candles.

To them it seems that I didn't add enough but I’m sure it must be something with the wick or my process. Maybe too much FO is burning off because I’m adding the FO in the wax at 195 and mixing with a stick blender, or maybe the wick is too hot and burning it off, or maybe the FO's suck.

I did not test these before sending them out because I only have sample size FO's. In most of my other candles I have made them with the Eco's because was recommended by CS wick guide. I am getting more soot buildup on the jar than I would like though. I noticed everyone suggestion about the HTP wicks. Please suggest a size because I will order some more.

Your help is appreciated.

Wax: 4627

Jar: 2.6" Diameter

FO load: 10%

Poured: 180 Degrees

Wick: Eco-6

---FO List---

Candle Makers Store - Blackraspberry Vanilla

Wellington - Coco-Mango

Cajun - Mulberry Madness

BC - Hawaiian Paradise

BC - Sex on the Beach

CandleWic - Strawberry & Champagne

Edited by dsipp138

I'm not sliver or candybee, but I could give you a few suggestions in case they don't check in (the site has been down for quite awhile lol)

The htp wicks I use the most are 83. 93. (Jelly Jar) 104. 105. (sq. masons) 126 for my salsa jar. I would get some wicks in those sizes. I'm not

sure what jar you are using, but with that diameter, those ranges should give you some wiggle room for testing. Hope this helps you :)

I use 8 oz masons, which are about 2-1/2" inside diameter, but are very thick and hold in the heat. That's a big consideration.

I use 4627, usually 8% FO load. I start testing with HTP 104 or 105, depending on the scent. If it's a light, fruity scent, I start with 104. If it's a kinda in between scent (not light but not heavy like Cinnamon, Patchouli, Vanilla), usually HTP 105 will work. On the heavy scents, I start with HTP 1212. No sense fooling around with 105 because it's probably not going to work.

CandleScience has some HTP sizes I've not tried. I've bought custom wicks from Candlewic for eons and they don't carry some of the newer sizes like HTP 93 (92??) or larger than HTP 1212. I've not tried the 126 or 1312, I think it is. It's very important to stick with ONE wick supplier.

Wax has changed dramatically over the years. I used to think Comfort Blend with HTP 1212 was a surefire barn burner. Now it's what I use probably 2/5 to 3/5 of the time.

LX wicks smoked like crazy for me.

To throw a real monkey wrench into the mix, ambient temperatures, barometric pressures, all kinds of things, influence how your candle will burn. What works perfectly for me might not work at all for someone in the mountains or in a totally different area. It's a bummer, but that's just the way it is.

My main fragrance oil suppliers are:

Tennessee

CandleScience

Tony's (Southern Garden Scents)

I've recently tried Bluegrass and am happy.

Moonworks

BnL (BC has her oils)

Peak has good oils.

There are some I never, ever use, but in the interest of saving bandwidth and angst, I won't name them.

You should get good results with HTP wicks in comfort blend. I'm very big on double wicking if the container is the same diameter top to bottom (i.e., 8 oz tins). When I made 8 oz tins, I double wicked with HTP 41 or HTP 52, depending on the scent.

In case I didn't mention it, I usually use 8% fragrance oil in containers with wicks. Never more. Sometimes less.

To throw a real monkey wrench into the mix, ambient temperatures, barometric pressures, all kinds of things, influence how your candle will burn. What works perfectly for me might not work at all for someone in the mountains or in a totally different area. It's a bummer, but that's just the way it is.

I've always wondered how candles can be sold online to customers from all over the U.S.A. if the wicks don't work the same in different locations.

But thanks for all the great information.

I've always wondered how candles can be sold online to customers from all over the U.S.A. if the wicks don't work the same in different locations.

But thanks for all the great information.

That's why Y uses clothes line rope in their candles, lol. Guaranteed to burn. Even then, they can tunnel like crazy whilst smoking like a house a'fire.

I keep my website up primarily for local customers and my own amusement. I cringe when someone half way across the country orders candles with wicks. I get a lot of tourists in my shop and I encourage them to buy and reorder wickless.

• 5 months later...
I'm not sliver or candybee, but I could give you a few suggestions in case they don't check in (the site has been down for quite awhile lol)

The htp wicks I use the most are 83. 93. (Jelly Jar) 104. 105. (sq. masons) 126 for my salsa jar. I would get some wicks in those sizes. I'm not

sure what jar you are using, but with that diameter, those ranges should give you some wiggle room for testing. Hope this helps you :)

Is your salsa jar the 16 oz one, by any chance? 'cuz due to my recent frustrations with HTP wicks in 4627 I'm thinking the 8 oz salsa wouldn't be tall enough to give the HTP 126 a chance to burn properly with a nice FMP, right???