Tapioca pearls

angielyn

Ok, so I read somewhere you can use them in M&P. I would love to try this but I have a really stupid question... Do you soak them first or put them in just as they are??? I really have no clue what to do with them :laugh2:

I have NO idea... I just tried it with them uncooked lol From what I read the pearls are suppose to be like an exfoliant. So I left them on the bottom of the mold, just poured my soap in and see what happens. One side of course would have them and the other wouldn't. See how it turns out. So far it looks pretty!!! I used Fairy Dust with a real pale pink color.

I HOPE it works out. I'm making it for my daughter for her 20th birthday with matching candles and a lasagna dinner. She just had a baby a month ago sooooo something a bit nice I hope.

Let me say that so far that didn't work. I'm going to repour them, hopefully the pearls will mix with the soap.

Edited by angielyn

Well, I put to many on the bottom which was my first mistake. Some of the soap went under them so on the bottom was some pearls and some soap... I took one out and pearls fell all over the place haha Now, melting it all together and mixing it see how that works out. Pearls are already stuck to the soap so can't cook them. IF this doesn't work I'll cook some and retry it. And nope no camera atm... battery is being charged :(

Ok, that didn't work either lol The pearls were to heavy to actually mix with the soap. I'll try soaking some over night which is what it says to do to make them. And see what that does tomorrow. But, just so they sunk right to the bottom so when I poured the soap none went into it anyhow :)

any additives like scrubby stuff will sink to the bottom unless you use the suspension type M&P or pour in layers

ETA: I don't think the tapioca would do any good as a scrubby if it's cooked first...hmmm

Edited by Pam W

The tapioca I used was the really small ones. I have never really did much with the soap until now. One of those give it a try things :) It does smell very good just didn't work with the tapioca. Oh well... I'll have to check into the suspension m&p. This soap thickens really fast I think and doesn't give you much time (at least for me) to do much of anything... I'm sure someone who knows what their doing could do it :)

Just what kind of soap are you trying to achieve with the tapioca? Are you looking for interesting texture or an exfoliating scrub?

If you want a scrub there are much better ingredients you can use:

cornmeal

strawberry seeds

ground oatmeal

ground pumice

loofah slices or ground loofah

Just to name a few.

So did you ever get the consistency of the tapioca just right yet? Wondering what kind of feeling washing with it might be like.

Actually I ran out of M&P so no I haven't. I did however use the bar I made for myself which was about half full of the pearls with the M&P over top. So it's half and half. I actually like the feeling. But, it seems it wants to sort of fall apart. Too many pearls want to fall when the soap is being used. Maybe with another base it would work better, just not the one I used. But the bumpiness is actually nice feeling to me anyhow :)

Could it be used as a massage bar? It'd be a great marketing approach. Shoot I may try it myself. I've seen massage soap molds that leave little round bumps on the soap for massage while you wash. Seems to me that if you can get the tapioca suspended in the bar it would be a true massage bar soap.:smiley2:

Been following this thread because I think it's interesting. I like learning about the different things people add to M&P. And, I think the little pearls would be very nice looking especially if you can get it to suspend. So, have a question and you might be able to answer Candybee. What are the little round beads on the soap in the link below. I realize that it's CP but the beads kinda look like large tapioca pearls.

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?98551-Girls-Best-Friend-Goats-Milk-Soap!!

Edited by ProudMarineMom

I've also noticed something else odd happening to this bar... it's bending lol Like the pearls are pulling it together. It's not to a half circle or that far bent but it's bending. Waiting to see what happens to it, it still feels good though :) And yes it's like the bumpy molds but with lots more little bumps. I like it :) And the pearls aren't scratching or anything like that. I notice they just fall apart and down the drain they go. I'm going to order different soap base in the next week or two and give it another try.

Also, since I only filled it half way with the pearls one side is bumpy the other side is nice and smooth and you sure can feel the difference. Maybe the bigger pearls might not pull the soap together? Hmmm

I'm very happy you mentioned that the pearls can go down the drain. That would be a concern of mine and especially if you made these bars to sell.

The idea is contagious and growing on me. Rats! Why do I have to be out of base and broke at the same time! LOL Story of my life!

When I get the chance I'd like to try the large pearls, but just a few, let them sink to the bottom of the soap so they remain on one side of the bar. So the soap will be a massage bar on one side and creamy smooth on the other. I want to see if the pearls stay in the bar long enough to be beneficial as a massage soap.

Next would be to try to suspend them throughout the bar but I am afraid that may somehow take away from the massage effect. Or perhaps it would work better. Don't know.

Or imagine a massage bar that's also an exfoliating soap with pearls and pumice.

Not sure on the larger pearls but the little ones pretty much fall apart when using the soap. I was actually cleaning up my "ummm area" haha and found I do have 1lb of goats milk soap. Was saving it for something but no CLUE what it was now haha I really like the way this one turned out in the fact that one side has the pearls and the other doesn't. BUT, it's not what are the words... Not sure (migraine in progress) put it this way, if I paid for this I don't think I'd be very happy. Not with the way it's bending and where all the pearls are it's almost like it looks flaky which could just be little pieces of soap or the pearls alone making it look like this. If I don't forget with all my running up and down the steps I'll take a pic. lol I don't have a camera card reader in my laptop :(

This is actually where I seen the idea http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/tipstricks/a/soapexfoliants.htm But, it doesn't say anything other then putting the pearls in :(

I've soaped the larger pearls - in CP though. No problems in use. They were really neat, but challenging when it came to cutting. The first batch (many years ago) was great, but when I tried it again recently it wasn't so nice. Perhaps my standards are higher, though (looking back at old bars, I cringe!)

• 1 year later...

The “Fish Eye look of cooked Tapioca Pearls are also used in many refreshing Asian beverages. The tapioca pearls can be added to hot or cold soybean milk as part of a breakfast drink. It can also be mixed with coconut milk, vanilla and ice as a refreshing drink. A fruit salad can also benefit from cooked tapioca pearls. The Tapioca Pearls provide a chewy texture.

Tapioca Pearls can be used in place of Tapioca starch, only if they have been ground into a powder by method of a food processor.

• 4 weeks later...