Ok after 2 months of testing 464 wax I've decided I don't like it and I'm going back to my

C 3 wax for my containers. It makes a really nice looking candle but very very lite scent throw and that's with a 2 week cure & using CD wicks. :( The only reason I was testing it was b/c I found a bag of it in my work room so thought I would try it out. I tested it with many GOOD FO's and just can't get the scent throw I get from C 3. So now what can I use this wax for?? Can I mix it with another wax to make tart's with if so what??

tia

Edited by Cindy/WI

Interesting, I gave up Ecosoya CD Advanced for 464 because CD A gave me no HT while 464 seems pretty good. Now I'll have to try the C3. For the most part, 464 gives me good tops when poured, minimal wet sports and a little frosting with red/pink dyes. Remelt tops after a burn are so-so. How does the C3 look?

I like the looks of C 3 I pour around 160 and the scent throw both hot & cold beats the heck out of this 464. I don't color my candles any more unless some one ask for coloring. Got away from that about 8 years ago.

I have tried the 415, 464 and C3. Compared to the GB464, I vastly prefer the throw of the C3. And although the 415 has the best HT (just my opinion), I cannot stand its appearance, especially after testing.

Doesn't C3 take much longer to cure than 464? Two weeks is a long cure time, in my opinion, and I think C3 takes two weeks where as 464 just needs a few days.

C3 does not require 2 weeks to cure. The manufacturer advises at least 48 hours. Certain FOs can take up to 2 weeks (or longer) to achieve their full potential, but that's pretty much true of any soy-based wax. I personally prefer to cure for 5-7 days before burning or selling because that suits me but that's certainly not a requirement. It depends on the FO. Some I cure for a shorter period; a few for a longer time. I have burned newly poured C3 candles as soon as they had completely cooled that had excellent HT. Many C3 users do not cure their candles for a lengthy period of time. Some folks feel that if a FO doesn't throw well in 24 hours, they find another supplier for it or move on to another fragrance that works better for them.

HTH ;)

TY Stella I might try that, I agree I do like the 415 for hot throw but not like the look of the candle. As far as cure I agree with Stella it just depends on the FO. I test burn within a couple of days with C 3 and most have a good ht they just get better with a longer cure just like any soy wax out there.

Edited by Cindy/WI

I just started mixing 464 and 4794, 30%/70% for tarts. So far, the results are fantastic.

Interesting, how is the HT on the 4794 by itself? I have 12 or more pounds of CD-Advanced that I need to do something with, I know I can blend it to at least 20% and still use the same wicks that work well with just the paraffin. The paraffin I have been using is the Hobby Lobby which takes just 3% FO. So neither one is super thrower.

C3 does not require 2 weeks to cure. The manufacturer advises at least 48 hours. Certain FOs can take up to 2 weeks (or longer) to achieve their full potential, but that's pretty much true of any soy-based wax. I personally prefer to cure for 5-7 days before burning or selling because that suits me but that's certainly not a requirement. It depends on the FO. Some I cure for a shorter period; a few for a longer time. I have burned newly poured C3 candles as soon as they had completely cooled that had excellent HT. Many C3 users do not cure their candles for a lengthy period of time. Some folks feel that if a FO doesn't throw well in 24 hours, they find another supplier for it or move on to another fragrance that works better for them.

HTH ;)

Thank you for clearing that up. I did have the (wrong) impression that it was almost a must for C3. I think I'll order some and start testing.

Hi,

I have to say that 464 is a really good wax. Now, for my business I use a blend of two different types of soy wax and I have always achieved a really strong scent throw. I have worked with C3 and to me that wax has a flaky top too much for my liking. I would say blend the different waxes you have you will be surprise at what you come up with.

I often hear so many crafters say that soy wax does not have a strong scent throw when it does using the right wax. It's all trial and error.

HTH,

Jameel Nolan

www.naturalbodypastries.com

Edited by kandleindulgence
added additional information

• 2 months later...

I totally agree with this. I mix a couple soys and some CO. I get very good throws right away. When I am testing I don't usually even cure them. I also like performa wicks in them. I tried many wicks and performas got a much better throw. I never had much luck with ECOs CDs or CDNs with any soy waxes. I almost gave up on all soys before finding performas.

Hi,

I have to say that 464 is a really good wax. Now, for my business I use a blend of two different types of soy wax and I have always achieved a really strong scent throw. I have worked with C3 and to me that wax has a flaky top too much for my liking. I would say blend the different waxes you have you will be surprise at what you come up with.

I often hear so many crafters say that soy wax does not have a strong scent throw when it does using the right wax. It's all trial and error.

HTH,

Jameel Nolan

www.naturalbodypastries.com

I love 464. I get a really good hot and cold throw. But I just switched over to 444. I needed a higher melt point for summer. I love this wax. It is so much more smooth. It has a great throw and it doesn't melt near as fast in the heat. I think I will stick with this one all year.

I love 464. I get a really good hot and cold throw. But I just switched over to 444. I needed a higher melt point for summer. I love this wax. It is so much more smooth. It has a great throw and it doesn't melt near as fast in the heat. I think I will stick with this one all year.

So I guess you retested all your FO that you currently sell? I know it's necessary but do find it expensive? On the other hand I guess it may not be if you are well established and sell a fair amount of product on a regular basis.

I am testing both 444 and 464 and other than melting point, I think they are equivalent in terms of FO throw. That said, testing and retesting is always a great idea. For me, adding between 10% and 15% 444 to 464 fixed the hot weather melt problem, I don't think i need to completely switch to 444. Another advantage is that for my double wicked apothecary jars I use CD-5 wicks which produce an adequate flame (melt pool is fine), adding in 444 I can now use CD-6 wicks which IMHO make a nicer flame and the same sized melt pool.