Problems with my candles

If you are in Minnesota, candle suppliers closer to you might save shipping. Like Bitter Creek North, Candle Cocoon, and Fragrance Oil Central, they are in Wisconsin. I have used oils from these places and have had great results.

Now Sweetcakes is in Minnesota, I have never tried their oils , but I have read on here that they had some great scents, and you could use less per LB of was.

You could buy a candle kit, I bought one from Bitter Creek years ago to start out with learning about candles.

Good Luck!!

Love your moniker! Welcome to the world of candlemaking!

If you love making candles don't give up on your dream. But I would put the 'starting a candle biz' out of my head for now and don't even think about selling or giving out sample candles until you first make a good candle.

Lots of great info here. Can't add much of what others have already said. But the learning process takes lots of reading, research, and testing. I think its part of the fun and also produces a lot of frustration and headaches. But when you have a good candle you have something you can be proud of. Good luck!

Being in Minnesota also, I would recommend checking out www.bittercreek.com out of Ashland, Wisconsin. They have a nice selection of products and their shipping is very reasonable. I find it helpful (and saves money) to get a list together before I go onto the website, otherwise I always discover products that I don't really need, but would be nice to have. Before making large investments in supplies, shop around!

www.bittercreek.com

www.candlescience.com

www.peakcandle.com

Those are my three preferred suppliers, I've never been disappointed with them.

I bought some Soy Wax and wicks from Northstar Candle. I made one this morning and OMG, I love the Soy Wax! I used a 3 x 3.5 for try-outs and I'm going to use the candle tomorrow to see if the candle works and if it throws good smells!

Soy candles require cure time, so you may want to hold off on burning it too soon.

I agree with Faerywren....soy is VERY different than paraffin. It needs a cure time. I cure for at least 5-7 days before I test for FO strength. Good Luck with all your testing....remember that each scent/color/jar combo will need it's own testing. Some fragrances need a larger wick, some a smaller one. NOt to burst your bubble...but it takes a LOT of time and patience.

How big of a container are you guys talking about?? I have a 3 x 3.5 container and waited 16 hours before burning...

Soy wax and paraffin are VERY different! The wicks that work for one, probably do not work for the other. (even different fragrances may need different wicks!)- even smaller candles need to cure, and usually a day is not enough time. Some need a week...

The minimum cure time for soy waxes is 48 hours. You would be better served with many scents to wait longer. Some fragrances take a couple of weeks! Some folks are in a big hurry to test and sell; others don't mind waiting. For best results, wait at least 48 hours.

PS The veggie wax forum has lots of information on soy waxes. Try searching there first for answers about veggie-based waxes. :)

Edited by Stella1952