Newbie with question about wax

Hi everyone. I'm just joined the forum but have been reading for sometime. I have recently started making jar candles. I have only used joy wax from natures garden so far. This wax is very easy to work with but I am not getting a great scent throw. I have been letting my candles cure at least a week before burning them. I started with a candle making kit which came with the joy wax. I have been using the hemp wicks that also came with the kit. I ordered the next size up hemp wicks as well because I purchased some larger jars too.

I'm wondering if I should try another type of wax to get the scent throw I am looking for or just play around with this some more. Thanks in advance fr any replies.

Edited by MysticalBlaze

I still consider myself new, even though I've been doing this for a year or more. Still testing, testing, testing. But not much time. I have heard lots of good things about C3 wax, especially scent throw, which I have been using. Was going to try a new wax, but really no reason too. The tops are smooth (one pour wax) and I am satisfied with the glass adhesion so far, still working on it. I have noticed good scent throw, but have nothing to compare too :). There have been a few that didn't, but could be that I did not let them cure long enough. But, I'm sure there is someone here that could tell you more about the wax you're currently using.

• 2 months later...

I played around briefly with GB 415 before settling on NatureWax C3 and I haven't looked back. If you like Joy wax, then stick with it. No matter what wax you use, it will have issues of its own and general issues common to all soy waxes. Do some homework, find out what's available in your area (so shipping won't eat you alive) and learn how that wax works by trial and error. Have fun!

Sorry . I have been using 1oz per pound of wax

I get little, if any scent throw with 1 oz p.p., and I get more scent throw with 1 1/2 oz p.p., and LOTS of scent throw with 2 oz p.p. in 6006 wax. It also really depends on how good & strong the FOs are.

On the NG site they recommend using CD wicks as being the best that perform in Joy Wax. They also recommend you heat to 200 degrees F, drop the temp to 170-175, then add 1 oz FO.

Before giving up on this wax it would help to at least try the CDs. I usually try at least 3-4 different series of wicks until I find one that performs the best for me. Then I work on the right size. Too large or too small can also effect the scent throw.

Also, not all FOs work in all waxes so you have to test to find the ones that work in your wax. You can also try upping your FO load a bit.