Batches 6 & 7

Stella1952

I gt some PKO & Castor Oil and made two batches Tuesday. The first batch, I divided into unscented (green swirl) and scented (peppermint & eucalyptus). The second batch I made CP (eggplant swirl) and scented oak moss & amber from CS.

Soap_Batch_67_2.jpg

The white patches/spots in the HPCP soaps... they do not seem to be "zappy" and I think they were stuff I scraped off the inside of the crock pot. Is this a reasonable assumption?

As this is my first time using castor oil, is it normal for it to be kinda translucent and have a consistency of overcooked Gummy Bears? It is very warm here, high humidity with no relief in sight. I have it curing in my oven with a fan blowing on it. Sound reasonable? Will it ever harden?

Thanks for lookin' & your comments. :wink2:

Looks great! Those are both good assumptions, I only do HP but I get those hard chunky bits of soap from the sides also, I try to keep them from getting into the soap but sometimes they get past me. I also use castor oil my soaps and yes it has the consistency of think syrup.

Isbennis, to clarify my question about castor oil: I was referring to the soap made from it and not the oil itself. The soap feels sticky, as in glue-like. I've read that castor oil is kinda "different," so I was wondering if the gummy, gluey consistency of the soap is normal and if it will harden properly (eventually).

Whew! Glad to hear that the white patches aren't harmful - just unsightly. Actually, they don't bother me too much in their appearance - just wanted to be sure they weren't something bad...

Thanks for your kind words, dnj. I don't really know what the heck I'm doing making soap, but I'm having a blast anyway.

Isbennis, to clarify my question about castor oil: I was referring to the soap made from it and not the oil itself. The soap feels sticky, as in glue-like. I've read that castor oil is kinda "different," so I was wondering if the gummy, gluey consistency of the soap is normal and if it will harden properly (eventually).

Whew! Glad to hear that the white patches aren't harmful - just unsightly. Actually, they don't bother me too much in their appearance - just wanted to be sure they weren't something bad...

Thanks for your kind words, dnj. I don't really know what the heck I'm doing making soap, but I'm having a blast anyway.

Oh...lol...sorry about that...I don't know how much castor you use in your recipe but when I make a 2lb batch I use 1.5 /2 oz and I don't notice any gummy/sticky consistency. But I just do the HP so couldn't tell you about CPHP.

CPHP
Oh crap... I'm not up to speed on the acronyms... I got the letters in the wrong order... I meant hot process soap that one made in a crock pot.

The soap IS hardening, despite the ongoing humidity. The structure of both soaps is so much finer than my previous formulas that did not contain castor oil or PKO. Not sure which oil is responsible, so I guess I'll just have to make MORE.:yay:

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone. I'm still not satisfied with my feeble swirling attempts, but these came out better than the last ones. The oak moss & amber smells awesome. Everyone who has snuffled it agrees that I must make more soap with it and candles, too! :drool:

Edited by Stella1952