Superfatting my recipe

vberkesch

Hi all,

I love the bubbles in my cp recipe BUT 2 of my 5 kids get the itches from it.

RECIPE:

Co = 30%

Ca = 5%

OO =32%

Lard = 28%

Shea = 4%

BW = 1%

Hardness 42

Cleansing 20

Conditioning 53

Bubbly 25

Creamy 26

Iodine 53

INS 160

Superfat - 5%

Every recipe has a 50/50 ratio of water/GM

I hear it's the CO that causes the itching. What are your recommendations to prevent the itching in my kids. I just bought PKO to work with.

1.) Can I safely superfat this recipe to 7% and not get DOS?? - there is the GM in every bar, and I love the GM & want to keep it!! And I have only had ONE BAR in my 4 yr. soaping history with DOS.

2.) Should I change the recipe up to (CO - 15% and PKO - 15%???)

Any thoughts out there would be greatly appreciated!! P.S. Check my new website out and tell me what you think.

www.heavenly-scents.org

Vanessa

Personally, I would -10 from the Coconut and add it to the lard. I use tallow/lard at that rate all the time, makes good soap! You can SF safely at 6% if you do, because you already have the added GM. Another thing you could do is drop you coco down to 10% and make up the difference with PKO. I like PKO @ 15%, Co @ 10% with the balance being tallow/lard, OO, and other goodies. HTH :)

I use PKO only I am allergic to CO. You can SF at 7% no worries. If CO makes your kiddos itchy, any amount will make them itchy. I find PKO bubbles as nice or better than CO and makes for a creamier lather, ime.