I ran out of space...My Advice Continued...

JimC

I started out thinking that I would be selling candles in two or three months. I didn't expect to get rich. I just wanted a fun way of earning a little extra money on my own time schedule at home. After all, how hard could it be? Over my lifetime I have operated numerous businesses both part time and full time. Several of them involved a fair degree of technical knowledge and skill (buy, repair & sell automobiles - buy, remodel, & sell real estate - build, repair & sell personal computers) It seemed like making candles would be a 'Piece of Cake". All you have to do is melt some wax, stir in FO and color, stick a wick in a jar, and pour in the wax mixture. LOL

So I jumped right in making container candles. I learned, however, that in order to make a QUALITY product that is Safe, Attractive, and Marketable it requires a fair amount of investment, considerable time, research, TESTING, and PATIENCE. There are many types of wax, many different fragrances, various sizes and types of wicks, and all different sizes and shapes of containers. Also, there are numerous additives that can be combined with the wax to produce various results. Additionally, the temperature of the wax is critical when melting, adding ingredients, and pouring. For each different wax, each different fragrance oil, each different size of container, and each different shape of container, a specific type and size of wick must be chosen and TESTED, and TESTED, and TESTED. All this is enough to drive a person crazy (even if they already are). LOL

I am NOT trying to discourage anyone. Just the opposite. I am trying to keep you from becoming discouraged because you tried to do too much all at once. Don't jump right in and start making container candles like I did. First do a little research. You can do that by reading books, searching the Internt for information, or from forums like this one (which I consider an excellent source of information). Just remember that each different person that you listen to will tell you what works for them but that does not necessairly mean that it will work for someone else. Take in all information and advice that you can; however, decide what works for you by doing your own TRIAL & ERROR.

I am so glad to hear that you have tried and tested your candles. I have spent the past 3-5years testing and resting waxes, FO's wicks etc. It is pain staking and harder work than my day job (LOL I did not think that would be the case). I chose candle making because I was tired of substandard candles from all sorts of stores. That is when my interest peaked in candle making. Since I have taken my time and tested I have made very high quality products and thus I have steady repeat customers. They are wowed by my products and they tell their friends and so the chain goes.

Keep up the good work!

After all that I just said in my previous thread, here is My Advice to All Beginners:

START SIMPLE and MASTER THAT PROCESS BEFORE MOVING ON TO SOMETHING MORE INVOLVED.

Start out by making tarts with a pre-blended votive wax. That way you can learn to melt the wax, add FO and color, and pour. You do not have to mess with wicks and you are not using a large amount of ingredients, thus saving your hard earned $$$. (I use 8 ounces of wax at a time) That is also the best way to test new FO's. Once you master tarts you can move on to wickless candles or votives. By making votives you can start to learn to work with wicks and again you are not using a large amount of ingredients. Once you master votives then move on to container candles. I suggest that you start out using the same votive blend wax for tarts, votives, and containers. That keeps it simple & economical. Besides that you also won't have to worry about the dreaded 'WET SPOTS'. The wax will pull away from the container walls producing one big 'beautiful' wet spot. LOL

Good Luck. Have Fun. I Wish You Well.

:tongue2: I could not have said it better. I started with 8 oz jelly jars. I could not believe the time it took to master them. I have yet to have sold one because I am such a perfectionist. I give them away to friends and people at work. They love them. I will however be selling them soon. Wish I could have taken advantage of the Christmas season, but I want them perfect. I have since started votives and wish I would have tried them first because they are easier. I also have become a f/o addict. I must have 35 different oils...:laugh2: I can't seem to help my self...you get my drift...

-Joanna

I think your right Jim, I have read this forum for a few months and thought what a piece of cake...I love candles, burn them every day..and thought what the heck I will make my own, hmm I love a challenge anyways but I don't have a lot of patience uh oh I just got a bunch of supplies from a few diff companies, been doing ok I think, have had to remelt and restest a lot, but I will be damned if I will deal with wet spots, I gave that up when I got divorced. kidding, but I do read a lot and ya all are great with tons of advice, just wanted to say thanks:D

I couldn't agree with you more, candlemaking is not a get rich quick type of hobby, it involves, alot of testing and research. I like making candles and soaps because it helps me to relax. At times I may feel overwhelmed because a certain wick didn't work out like I wanted it to, but that in it self pushes me to try and get it right the next time. I came to this forum because I am inspired by the different work of those on here and I learn alot from newbies as myself and from those that have done it for awhile. What amazes me though is that although we all make pillars, votives, tealights and what have you, our products are uniquely(sp) individual!!:D

Hey Jim...I think I remember you from a while back. You went into this candlemaking big time buying all kinds of professional melters, etc. as a newbie...no starting out small for you. I think we tried to warn you a while back about how much testing and effort was going to go into making them...but at the time you were sure you could handle it. Don't exactly know how you made out in your venture but I'm sure you realized rather quickly that it was not going to be as easy as it all seemed...to make a "quality" product that is. Anyway, I hope it wasn't too hard on you. I think that it's appropriate for you to send out this "heads up" to the newbies who think that candle making is a piece of cake. People get all excited about making money or giving candles to their friends and family without ever realizing that they may not be making safe candles. Some will burn them for a few hours and if it looks good to them during that period of time...they think they've got it all figured out. Little do they know that you need to burn it from start to finish to know for sure whether it is a success or not...taking into consideration many things...such as is the wick large enough, small enough, am I getting a good melt pool...is it too big, too small, is it throwing well enough, etc...Oh, just so many things...too many to mention here. Just wanted to say, good post and I hope the newbies will take heed.

There comes a time when you have to move to the next level and that is flat out selling!! You can test and test for years...which I have done...spent a lot of money testing major suppliers products...when they are the one's who should be testing their product...I will compare my candles to any big retial store around...My testing days are done...and now it is time to quit dallying and get down to facts... quit wasting time and money and sell your products to make profit....tha's what it is all about for me Now.,

Just remember that each different person that you listen to will tell you what works for them but that does not necessairly mean that it will work for someone else. Take in all information and advice that you can; however, decide what works for you by doing your own TRIAL & ERROR.

Oh boy, that's it in a nut shell. Everyone of us has our own idea and opinions of what a great candle is, and we all know what they say about opinions :P so read a lot, but do what YOU need and want to do, not what everyone else is doing.

Great advice Jim.

There comes a time when you have to move to the next level and that is flat out selling!! You can test and test for years...which I have done...spent a lot of money testing major suppliers products...when they are the one's who should be testing their product...I will compare my candles to any big retial store around...My testing days are done...and now it is time to quit dallying and get down to facts... quit wasting time and money and sell your products to make profit....tha's what it is all about for me Now.,

This is true up to a point. Preliminary testing takes awhile, and that can taper off. But testing never stops. What happens when you get in a new batch of wicks in and they start fizzling (Has happened 2ce in the last 4 years, 51z that wouldn't burn, HTPs that were mfg differently by Atkins and Pierce and had different burn characteristics). What happens when you run out of pallets of wax and find your next batch burns completely differently?

So true, you don't have to spend tons of time for years testing, but you do have to revist a little testing from time to time as you get in new material..

Very well said Jim. Robin I also agree that the testing never stops does it. You get better thank God but it never completely stops. I find the votive swaps really helpful. Thank you for the input Jim. Maybe the new ones will understand that is it a hobby of passion not to make money. And expensive and patients is a must.