Parffin vs Soy - some comparision questions

AlwaysWondering

All things being as equal as possible, and IN GENERAL...

(I want to mix my own tart blend and these answers would help me get started - thanks!)

IN GENERAL????

Which has a lower melt point?

Which weighs more for the same volume?

Which has better hot throw?

Which has better cold throw?

Which is harder?

Does either do better with certain scent families, ie, paraffin is better for florals but soy is better for vanilla or no such difference?

Just my opinion and just based on my experience... I prefer paraffin over soy; it throws better for me, both CT and HT.

Ravens, I agree! I'm a bit worried about all paraffin tarts fully melting in so many different electric melters on the market. JKL melters are only 12 watts! I think I will have to include soy to bring down the melting point.

I think you are making too many generalizations. There are many different types of soy and paraffin, and their characteristics overlap a great deal. Think you are overthinking things a bit. Just my opinion. If you like to do alot of research (I know I do), then have at it!

Cheers,

Steve

AlwaysWondering, there are paraffin waxes that have low melt points. For example the 464 has a melt point of 115-119 degrees; the 444 is 121-125 degrees (both soy waxes).

Paraffin 4630 has a melt point of 125 degrees; the 4786 melt point is 124 degrees; and the 6006 (parasoy) is 133 degree. Got this info from Peak's and Candle Science sites.

And don't forget there are higher wattage electric melters ;). Unless you really, really like the ones from JKL, shop around. HTH

Thank you everyone. I was looking for generalizations. I did see the paraffins with lower melt points on several sites but clearly, soy is almost always a lower melting point than MOST paraffins. Just a generalization. Not planning to take this to court and testify with it. I'm pretty sure, for instance, that Scentsy uses a very low melt point paraffin.

I'm trying to save money and being judicious about the samples of wax I order and some information about the differences is better than no information as a starting point.

P.S. I have not ordered from JKL but I do see others that carries those which means there's a chance my customers have them even though they did not buy them from me. Also seeing a growing interest in the 15W plug in night light types.

You are trying to make generalizations about many preblended waxes and it just doesn't work that way. How its made determines the melt point, flash point, opacity, scent throw, texture, whiteness, creaminess, clarity, penetration, etc.

Paraffin can be so soft you can scoop like ice cream or so hard you can break with a hammer or brittle enough it will break apart or clear enough it looks like plastic. Why? Additives and manufacturing techniques have much to do about it.

Better to study straight soy, paraffin, microcrystalline wax, etc., and how blending with different additives effects the wax. Now that is knowledge a good candlemaker takes the time to learn.

You are trying to make generalizations about many preblended waxes and it just doesn't work that way. How its made determines the melt point, flash point, opacity, scent throw, texture, whiteness, creaminess, clarity, penetration, etc.

Paraffin can be so soft you can scoop like ice cream or so hard you can break with a hammer or brittle enough it will break apart or clear enough it looks like plastic. Why? Additives and manufacturing techniques have much to do about it.

Better to study straight soy, paraffin, microcrystalline wax, etc., and how blending with different additives effects the wax. Now that is knowledge a good candlemaker takes the time to learn.

Thanks. I'm not making candles and am thrilled with the quality of my tarts after testing more than I care to admit for the right blend of waxes.

I disagree with you. Everything can have generalizations, it's called Mother Nature's law of averages. Everything has exceptions and I know that but I was hoping for the "law of averages" in the questions I asked.

I understand and respect that what you do is very complicated. I realize my questions imply it is a simple process. Clearly, you are all very knowledegable which is why I thought these answers would just roll. Kind of like as an experienced parent I can say generally, children walk by the time they are 18 months.

I don't do soy, but I can say this about the paraffin I have worked with: my container blends are soft, and my tart blends are hard. The container blends have a lower melt point than the tart blends do. Tart wax should be hard in order to hold its shape. HTH