With soy wax from NGI

Hello

I just start making candles :yay:I see that everyone use different soy waxes for their candles. I just received samples of cb-xcel, cb-advanced, cb-135 from NGI. What is your opinion about this products? Do you recomend any of those three for candles with FO in glass containers? I'm also thinking about making simple pillar candles using PB EcoSoya wax (I have sample of it too), what do you think about it?

Best regards

Edited by Thaiphoon

I like PB for votives, but I honestly have not found any soy wax pillar blend that I really like. I far prefer palm wax for pillars. I have mixed pillar formula soy wax with pillar formula palm wax and enjoyed the results more than any of the straight soy pillar formulas.

Tip: The Google site search tool will yield more specific results than the forum search tool. Instructions for using both can be found here (post #2):

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1802

HTH :)

Welcome to the forum and to candle making! There is alot of great information here!

Votives are typically small 2oz candles that are poured in a mold nad then burned in a votive holder. Ecosoya PB is great for this

Pillars are larger, free standing candles. they are poured in amold, but not burned in a container.

I agree with Stella. IMO, Soy wax doesn't really make great pillars.

Welcome to Craftserver!

Haven't used the CB Excel but have used both CB Advanced and CB135. I much preferred the CB135 for both its H&C throw. The CBA is a poor thrower and takes much more FO testing to find ones that throw well in it. But it can be done if you are patient. The CBA does makes a beautiful creamy candle with less frosting and some prefer the looks over the throw. The CB135 not as pretty but throws so much better.

I also use the PB blend for pillars and votives. Like Stella I am not thrilled with soy pillars. At least I can't wick one to burn without tunneling badly or blowing out. But the hot throw is wonderful with the PB. So I use it mostly for soy votives.

The basic difference between pillar candles and votives is the size. Votives are small 2oz candles you burn in votive jars. Votives are sometimes called free standing but are not true free standing candles like pillars. Votives tend to become liquefied and thats why they need to be burned in votive containers. You can also use a specific votive blend wax that is softer or has a lower melting point than the average pillar wax. Or if you want a harder votive you can use a pillar/votive blend. Probably the better votive waxes are paraffin or palm. Although the PB wax can make a decent votive I much prefer paraffin and palm waxes for making them. I just think they burn better than soy pillar/votive wax. JMO

Edited by Candybee

Welcome to the forum and to candle making! There is alot of great information here!

Votives are typically small 2oz candles that are poured in a mold nad then burned in a votive holder. Ecosoya PB is great for this

Pillars are larger, free standing candles. they are poured in amold, but not burned in a container.

I agree with Stella. IMO, Soy wax doesn't really make great pillars.

I will throw in my 2 cents too, soy wax does not make for good pillars in my experience (short as it may be). I am learning the value of paraffin. It may not be the "greenest" choice but it makes for a good pillar candle.

• 2 weeks later...