Flat Ply Wicks

Hi everyone! I have successfully created my first rustic candle with tilted layers (Thanks so much Trish for all of your help!!), and now I'm ready to wick it. I thought I would try a 30 flat ply wick, my question is... now, don't laugh at me... do these wicks need to be dipped first, or do I just use them "raw", just out of the package? Hope that makes sense, I'm sure it's getting a few snickers out there. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Have a good one!

I ALWAYS prime mine in the wax that I'm using before I add anything to it. I tried it once before w/o primming and I couldn't get the darn thing to light to save my life. So, I would strongly suggest it. HTH Portia

I thought I would try a 30 flat ply wick, my question is... now, don't laugh at me... do these wicks need to be dipped first, or do I just use them "raw", just out of the package.

If you used a wick pin, prime the wick. If I am prewicking the mold and pouring it wicked, I don't bother to prime as the wick will get coated with wax.

We want pics!

e

If you used a wick pin and don't prime the wick, you'll get mighty frustrated trying to get that thing in! LOL

Can't wait to see pictures!! Hope I was able to help!

Edited, because I forgot to ask about the wick...Are you using 1343? A lot of people use the 30ply so it's a good starting point. It was too big for me though. :rolleyes:

Thanks to everyone for all your help! Just to add... I am using 1343 and I am using a wick pin. How many times do you prime your wick, is dipping it once enough, or do you do several coats?

PS... I took the few that I made into work yesterday and took orders for 18 of them!! Yeah!! I'm so excited! I have had so much fun with the pillars, I think I was getting a little bored with my containers. I will post pics this weekend.