Candle party not lookin so hot..

sbs

Out of 80 invites only 5 have confirmed they will be there and the party is next Saturday! Most people have already said they can't make it for whatever reason. Sucks to have friends with no money or who are just not that interested in candles lol.. I had one person tell me they've never spent more than $5 on a candle. They just get them from walmart. I do have tarts and melts under $5 but of course they require a warmer. I plan to make the best of this but not expecting many sales. I think the party itself cost me more than what I'll get back. Oh well... does anyone else out there have "friends" like mine? If so, how do you do the whole party thing? I want to be positive about the situation but right now it's hard. I'm extremely shy and meeting NEW people is going to be hard but I guess it's what I must do to open the doors to more parties. So another question, how do you promote parties and let people know you do them?

We do candle parties pretty regularly and most people who are hosting the party when you ask, say that there about 10 - 14 people coming. Don't be dishartened as the number of people at the party really does not have too much baring on the overall sales as crazy as that statement seems.

One of our best parties had 1 person turn up and one of our worst had about 15. It really depends on the day, the people and how much they like candles as well as how much they have to spend.

We also offer mobile card transactions for Visa, Mastercard, AMEX and plain old debit cards and I reckon in doing so our sales have probably doubled. Many people dont carry cash, but offer them card facilities and they seem to spend with willful abandon :)

Let us know how it goes, but I am sure it will be ok.

Depending on what you're selling and how much your cost is, sell them for $5 just to get them to try yours. If you are selling something in the 8 oz range, you should still make a little profit, and hopefully, they will see how much better yours are than what they've been buying.

Assuming you're fairly new to candlemaking, you have to prove yourself. Nobody ever said it was easy.

Depending on what you're selling and how much your cost is, sell them for $5 just to get them to try yours. If you are selling something in the 8 oz range, you should still make a little profit, and hopefully, they will see how much better yours are than what they've been buying.

Assuming you're fairly new to candlemaking, you have to prove yourself. Nobody ever said it was easy.

Yes true. Thanks. :smiley2: I sell a 8oz tin for $8, 16 oz apothecary $15, 26 oz apothecary $20 (which I plan to discontinue after I sell the 12 I have left), and then the melts and tarts. I don't mind discounting for the sake of proving myself. I actually gave a few away free to friends and family (in Cali and NY) and they turned around and ordered more... now I have to work on the people in Georgia. :tiptoe: Maybe I will knock the tins down to $5 for whoever comes to the party...

We do candle parties pretty regularly and most people who are hosting the party when you ask, say that there about 10 - 14 people coming. Don't be dishartened as the number of people at the party really does not have too much baring on the overall sales as crazy as that statement seems.

One of our best parties had 1 person turn up and one of our worst had about 15. It really depends on the day, the people and how much they like candles as well as how much they have to spend.

We also offer mobile card transactions for Visa, Mastercard, AMEX and plain old debit cards and I reckon in doing so our sales have probably doubled. Many people dont carry cash, but offer them card facilities and they seem to spend with willful abandon :)

Let us know how it goes, but I am sure it will be ok.

Thank you!! Yes I just signed up to be able to take credit cards so I'm hoping this will be a good thing for sales which I'm sure it will. Thanks also for the reminder that few people can still spend more money. :smiley2: Even if they don't at least it puts my name out there.

Yes true. Thanks. :smiley2: I sell a 8oz tin for $8, 16 oz apothecary $15, 26 oz apothecary $20 (which I plan to discontinue after I sell the 12 I have left), and then the melts and tarts. I don't mind discounting for the sake of proving myself. I actually gave a few away free to friends and family (in Cali and NY) and they turned around and ordered more... now I have to work on the people in Georgia. :tiptoe: Maybe I will knock the tins down to $5 for whoever comes to the party...

If you do knock them down to $5 for the party make sure to mention or have a sign that says that this is a limited time special or you will open yourself up to questions at future parties on why they are now $8.

If it were me I might go the "buy 1 @ $8, 2 @ $10" as a monthly show special instead. Or 1 @ $8, 2 @ $12, 3 @ $15 - this is what I do at my last Christmas show of the year to move them out. That way they can get their $5 candle but they end up buying multiples in order to get it. This makes the hit to profit a little less because you are spreading it out over a couple of tins instead of just one. Also make sure to give the hostess one as a hostess special when you get there and have her light it right away. That way the melt pool is already forming by the time the guests are getting there so you have hot throw that hits them in the face on the way in the door and they can clearly see these are not Walmart quality. If you really want to get rid of the 26 oz size too you can do a 1@, 2@ deal too and knock the price down for multiples. It always works for me. I do my 2 oz lotions, hand sanitizers & bar soaps at $3.95 each or 3/$10. It is VERY rare that I don't sell them in groups of 3 or more because the 3rd ends up being 1/2 price and customers can't resist the "deal".

I like the way this sounds. Thanks! I'll do it for the few people that are coming so that they can take their candles and rub it in the faces of the people who aren't coming. Then when those people want to buy them they can buy them at regular price.

I went to a candle party not too long ago. There were only 6 people that showed up but she still made over $500 at the party. I also heard that ppl ordered outstide the party and she got the lady two more shows. You can have 20 ppl show up and still very few sells. It just depends.

I say give a special on the candles and make sure to tell them, it's limited. Just have a good time and take it as training for more shows to come. :yay:

My philosophy is to knock the socks off whoever is there. Even if one person shows up. Assuming you have a great product, they will tell their friends and your future shows will be bigger.

If your friends aren't into candles or tarts, then they obviously aren't your target market.

Good luck with your show. Can't wait to hear about it and see pics!

We began by selling at markets and through that we realized that there were candle nuts out there (those willing to spend a lot of money on what is a luxury item really)

It was THOSE people that we began to subtly make suggestions to that they might like to host a party and it really wasn't hard at all to get them interested.

From there it spiraled and now parties provide a great deal of income for our business.

We've never advertised our parties at all, it's all been through word of mouth.

What has helped us is that most of the other candle party people around here charge ludicrously expensive amounts for their candles. They also (from what we've heard) do things like only allow the candle host to be able to get a percentage of sales once the party goers have spent more than $200 (or something like that.)

We don't do that. There's absolutely NO pressure sales from us. They get 10 percent of the sales regardless at how much we ultimately make. When you think of it it's pretty reasonable - for us- considering that to sell at markets you have your stall cost (which sometimes can be way overpriced!)

No long tiresome speech from us either - just a little informal chat at the start of the party telling people what our products are (soy/palm. Why we started making candles etc) Sometimes we don't even do that depending on how many people are there who have been to our parties before.

We of course chat with people through out the party and give plenty of tips and instructions on how to burn their candles effectively and generally just answer all of their questions on an individual basis.

We figure that every single candle or melt sold is advertising in itself and it's proving to be the case, so if we have a "not so good" party we don't get too disappointed when thinking of it that way.

Friends and family seem to feel obligated and in my experience, well, my friends and family are NOT rolling in money so therefore it's better for us to find and target those candle nuts :)

Don't be disappointed if your first party is not so great - think of it as good practice.

If I were you though I'd be trying to find those people who are genuinely interested in having parties because they are mad about candles - they are out there, believe me! (and they are NOT the types that go out and buy candles for $5!)

Good luck and have fun with it :)

Edited by Tracy68

I had my first candle party back in December and had about 8 people show up, family mostly, but along with the product I sold at the show, I sold outside the show to those who couldn't make the party but wanted little gifts for co-workers for Christmas. The first show I did about $100 cash & carry/outside sales. I didn't advertise, just made a few phone calls to the family.

I'm having my second show in 2 weeks and invited about 20 people by invitation. I made sure on the invitation it read they could bring a friend(s). I had one call back from a friend of mine who invited me to make some products for a church penny party the following weekend and she told me about a craft show the church has around Thanksgiving. In my experience in retail, word of mouth is your best form of advertising.

Since I am just starting out, I'm not expecting much from these home shows but the more I do them, the more experience I get and the more people will talk about it.

Thanks for the all the tips! :)

Good Luck with your show!!

If I were you though I'd be trying to find those people who are genuinely interested in having parties because they are mad about candles - they are out there, believe me! (and they are NOT the types that go out and buy candles for $5!)

Good luck and have fun with it :)

Exactly. There are many people who buy Yank** and spend wayyy too much on party lite having parties. I went to one party lite party and the candle quality was horrible and they were extremely expensive. But, people were spending money on them...:confused:

A lot of people buy just because they feel obligated to.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

Yeah, I think Party lite are the other people over here (Australia) doing candle parties.

Don't know if it was them or someone else who apparently only took samples for people to sniff and then you had to order from that!

What we do is basically take our market stall to parties, which may not be practical for some but as there are two of us doing the party it's not so big of a deal.

We always ask what sized room they have for us to set up in and we can adjust the amount of stuff we take - amazing what you can fit on one table! We go to a lot of effort to set the tables up nicely just as we would at a market.

We spend on average about 2-3 hours at each party which in comparison to an all day market is a lot of time saved.

We find that taking a whole bunch of stuff that they can buy on the spot is much better for sales (impulse buying) so although it's a bit of a pain lugging all our crates in and out it is better for the customers and better for us because then we don't have to worry about pouring for orders. It's all done on the day- they're happy because they walk away with products in their hands and we walk away with money in our pockets. All good for everyone involved :)

Personally I wouldn't try and adjust my prices - sell anything cheaper (not TOO cheap anyway) just because you're worried that these people aren't used to paying the price for good quality candles.

If you believe in your product and are sure in your mind and heart that they are worth the price you have worked out then I'd stick to my guns about it.

Just me but I reckon if things look too cheap price wise then people may question the quality?

Edited by Tracy68

My philosophy is to knock the socks off whoever is there. Even if one person shows up. Assuming you have a great product, they will tell their friends and your future shows will be bigger.

If your friends aren't into candles or tarts, then they obviously aren't your target market.

Good luck with your show. Can't wait to hear about it and see pics!

I totally agree with this.. I am very new to candle making and I am hosting my first candle party this weekend. I already have close to $300.00 in pre-orders and I am really trying to figure out how to stock for the actual party. I want to make sure I have enough candles on hand. But I gave most of my friends sample candles prior to selling my candles and have had orders come in every day since January. All of my customers like strong candles. Most of them tell me they don't even have to lite my candles because the cold throw is great. I also plan on playing games and having a mega giveaway. The more you order the more times I put your name in the drawing. That will attract people also. That will encourage them to come and to buy more. Just suggestions. Hope all goes well.