Where did I go wrong???

Ok, this is my first, what is supposed to be a, mottled and a rustic pillar. I obviously didn't pour my layers close enough together in the rustic, as it looks like I could just break apart each layer. But I still don't have any of the frosting. And I have no clue what happened with the mottled.:confused:

Here's what I did:

Mottled - Wax 1343, UV 1/2tsp ppw, Steric Acid 2tbsp ppw, FO 5%. heated wax to 185, added everything and poured at 185 into a semi-warmed seamless mold & cooled under a box.

Rustic - Same additives, different scent added at 180, cooled to 150 & poured into a seamless, room temp. mold and let cool at room temp.

Suggestions???

post-13137-139458477876_thumb.jpg

post-13137-139458477884_thumb.jpg

Wow. I have never seen a mottle like that! But, I have never had much luck with mottles...

With my 1343 I use 1-2 T steric per pound for mottles and 3T per pound for rustic. Spray the mold, wipe it down and pour. I get frosting every time.

Back when I used 1343, I had to add extra FO to get a decent mottle. I now use 1274 and get perfect, complete mottling everytime.

As for no frosting on the rustic....I dunno....but it is pretty candle. On you next try, chill the mold in the fridge a little -cool to the tough but not the freezer.

3 heaping T of steric for the rustic and pour cooler.

For the mottle, up the fragrance load to 6% and try it, group the molds for mottles together and about 50% of the time it might work out.

The blue pillar, which I take is the mottle, looks more like fingernailing trying to set. It also looks like you had air get into the mold and the pin holes that are on the candle were either trapped air bubbles you didn't get rid of or a dirty mold.

Edited by Scented

Thanks for the tips. I will probably try remelting the mottle, or not mottle, lol, and try again.

Pam, your too kind :smiley2: My kids & husband thought it was REALLY ugly! And I keep looking at it trying to decide :undecided

Really Scented? Pour cooler than 150 on the rustic? It seemed like it was already getting sloshy and sticking to the pour pot when I was pouring it. I'll have to try that on my next attempt along with the mold chilled a little.

I think I was getting ahead of myself trying to pour a layered rustic before attempting a regular rustic :)

I think I was getting ahead of myself trying to pour a layered rustic before attempting a regular rustic :)

No, no, no, you're fine to jump into layers :cheesy2:

Pouring at 150 should've been fine but don't be too bashful about getting a little sloppy with rustics. After pouring a layer I like to rock the mold lightly or slosh it around a little bit. That's helps the layers to look blended together more instead of having that stacked look. It also gives you a thin wax layer against the mold wall which will start to harden before you pour the next layer. I think pouring that way helps to keep the temp down around the outside of the candle and promotes frosting.

You could probably attempt about 145-147. Slosh around or rock your mold to get some jump lines. Hit some spots you don't want with a heat gun. You don't want to warm the whole mold.

And on your comment about getting ahead of yourself, there are those people who have a list of how things ought to be and those will be the ones to tell you to hold back ... kind of like learning to make soap and getting chastised for not making an oatmeal soap first (it's all bs). Just jump in and try. You learn far more doing that then you do wondering if you're advanced enough to try. So you went out of line of somebody else's order. You aren't going to hell for it :)

If you want to do a little experimenting, next time you do the layers, try rubbing the mold with an ice cube just before you pour each consecutive layer and do a little tilting & rocking of the mold as FarmerJill mentioned. A little 'sloppy' adds character to a rustic..IMO

That's a funky mottle alright...but it's all good. Just remelt that one and add a bit more fo like scented suggested. I always use 6% with 1343. Also...some fo's will mottle more than others with that wax, at least, that's been my experience with it. Which fo did you use in that one?

Your rustic doesn't look bad at all...I quite like it. I actually pop my molds into the freezer for a bit before I pour rustics. And 3 heaping tbls steric too.

Keep posting your pics....love to see them :)

Here's a long timer coming back to say "Thank You" for helping out my girlie! I want to tell you how much research and testing this chica has been doing. She adopted ALL of my candle stuff and is really taking it seriously. For the "old timers" here on Candletech, you will remember me. Scented......take care of my friend here!!!!!!!!

CandleAddictRN you rustic "ROCKS"!!! Use some of these suggestions and the tools from the "box" and you will be very happy with your results!!!!!!!!!!

Just FYI - I live in a warm climate - I make mottled pillars, votives, etc. I gotta say, I could NEVER get a mottle, if any when I kept them warm for as long as possible. The moment I reversed my path and cooled them in normal air temp, mottle galore!

Just FYI - I live in a warm climate - I make mottled pillars, votives, etc. I gotta say, I could NEVER get a mottle, if any when I kept them warm for as long as possible. The moment I reversed my path and cooled them in normal air temp, mottle galore!

I live in a hot climate and I cover the molds with towels to keep the A/C draft off of them.

Oh man this is your friend? I dunno. I better stop now lol.

I want to see more candles :D

LOL, I don't think you have anything to worry about any time soon Scented. I still have LOTS of testing to do to catch up to many of you!!!!!

I will have to post some of my first pillars that I was QUITE proud of though :cheesy2:

Bella Rose & Pam - Maybe that's why I see more mottle in my rustic, lol. I haven't had a chance to do the re-pour yet. Other rediculous things like laundry, cleaning, and work keep getting in the way of my fun :rolleyes:

I switched from 1343 to 1274 a few years ago because I prefer a fully mottled candle over the star burst/scattered effect that I was getting with 1343. That being said, I did have some 1274s that had really ugly/scattered mottling and it was only when I used pumpkin scents so I don't pour pumpkin anymore... never found a true pumpkin scent anyway so that doesn't hurt my feelings.

To me, 1274 has advantages over 1343: I don't have to add/waste FO to get a good mottle and if I don't want mottle, I just add a pinch of vybar. One of these days I'll try one of the pillar blend waxes but for now 1274 gives me everything I want.

LOL, I don't think you have anything to worry about any time soon Scented. I still have LOTS of testing to do to catch up to many of you!!!!!

I will have to post some of my first pillars that I was QUITE proud of though :cheesy2:

Bella Rose & Pam - Maybe that's why I see more mottle in my rustic, lol. I haven't had a chance to do the re-pour yet. Other rediculous things like laundry, cleaning, and work keep getting in the way of my fun :rolleyes:

Well test away! :)) It took me a few pours to reverse what I had thought was the correct way to create a mottled candle! But the environment you work in really changes things.

I hear ya on the work thing! I work 40-50 hours per week, and fit in as much candle time as possible between being a Mommy, Wife and giving attention to my other business endeavours! It's time consuming for sure :)

Well test away! :)) It took me a few pours to reverse what I had thought was the correct way to create a mottled candle! But the environment you work in really changes things.

Maybe you could post some pics of your mottles in the gallery????????