HT - 4627 vs. 6006?

I was searching the archives & kept finding posts about the wonderful HT of 4627, but they're from 2006/2007. I was planning to start with 6006 & I bought 10 lbs of it, but now I'm wondering if 4627 has a much better HT than 6006 or not, & if so, how much stronger? Like on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the best HT.

I think people in my area care more about HT than Green natural wax. I'm in OK. What are the pros & cons of those two waxes? I don't care if 4627 is messy. Confused, indecisive, & kind of freaking out...:confused:

Thanks a bunch! :cheesy2:

4627 is messy, it's like scooping Vaseline out of a plastic bag, but the throw is very good.

I do not believe the throw of 6006 is as good. I tried both, but my two favorite ones as TCS (The Candle Source) and the 4633.

You may want to try mixing 4627 with some 464 or 415. HTH

• 3 weeks later...
4627 is messy, it's like scooping Vaseline out of a plastic bag, but the throw is very good.

I do not believe the throw of 6006 is as good. I tried both, but my two favorite ones as TCS (The Candle Source) and the 4633.

You may want to try mixing 4627 with some 464 or 415. HTH

How would mixing 4627 with 464 or 415 improve it? Why would it need that?

I love 6006. It has wonderful hot throw. But because of the small amount of soy (30% is what I was told by a former IGI employee) you will find that you need to test a lot. Some FO's can be frustrating. But most will throw like a dream once you learn this wax and get to the point where you can open a sample bottle, sniff it and know almost instantly "This will throw awesome in this wax!". Yeah...it gets that good.

6006 takes color beautifully and holds up well during outdoor craft shows in the warmer months. A real consideration for me.

Now 4627 also throws really well. It makes a beautiful candle. So does 4630 by the way. Lovely scent throw on that one. I simply chose not to use a straight paraffin because I just really enjoyed the consistency and performance of the 6006 early on...and I stuck with it.

You can also mix 4630 with GB 464 or GB 444 to create a wax a lot like 6006 in terms of HT and burn characteristics. (But then you need to buy two waxes instead of one...so just budget accordingly if you start playing with blending).

Hope that helps a little in your decision making - have huge fun with your testing!

i personally use 4627 and i love it. everyone says its messy and it is to a certain extent but if you wear latex exam gloves you wont have a hard time cleaning your hands up. as far as the 6006 i cannot answer that one as i have never used it. i used 4633 and i seemed to smell something like a fuel smell when it burned i tried 4627 and it blew my socks off as far as ct and ht. only thing i have found with the 4627 is that you need to wick up.

but hey what do i know i've only been making candles for two months

on most fo i use 1.25 oz per pound on heavier scents like poundcake and mullberry i will only use one oz per pound

That's wonderful news! You can save $$$ & get an awesome throw! I read in old comments about 6006 that it can also give the best FO with 1 oz to 1.25 oz per lb. Less is more! I'll try it. Thanks so much!

I just poured my 1st batch of this wax w/ 1.2oz (8%) fo & the scent is so strong I can't stand it. We have windows/ doors open & I could smell the candles strongly when I was outside. Trust me, I NEVER thought I'd say that, cause getting a strong throw has always been my goal. I'm definitely dropping down to 1oz for the next batch. I also found that I need to wick everything down from all previous waxes I've tried.

Susan.

I just poured my 1st batch of this wax w/ 1.2oz (8%) fo & the scent is so strong I can't stand it. We have windows/ doors open & I could smell the candles strongly when I was outside. Trust me, I NEVER thought I'd say that, cause getting a strong throw has always been my goal. I'm definitely dropping down to 1oz for the next batch. I also found that I need to wick everything down from all previous waxes I've tried.

Susan.

Which wax did you use? Unless I missed something you did not specify.

Doh - sorry! 6006 - guess my mind was locked in that mode, since that was the wax mentioned in the last few messages. Totally forgot this was an either/or thread!

Susan.

Gee! I just made 24 8 oz jj candles with 6006, 21 with 1 oz p.p. of Candlescience FOs & 3 with 1.50 oz p.p. of FO, with 51z wicks, & while the colors & appearance turned out beautifully, the CT is pretty good but the HT is very disappointing, even non-existent so far. I'm hoping some cure time will help. :angry2:

I heated to 200, then added liquid dye & stirred, then added FO & stirred very well with a whisk, & just the way the timing worked out I was pouring at about 176 degrees, or between 170 & 180. Many say to pour 6006 at 180, but IGI says 160, & a local chandler says 150. Help! I feel like switching waxes because I don't want to wait 7 to 14 days for a good HT. :sad2:

Edited by HorsescentS

I found 6006 to also be pretty messy. I used a slab of that and it was OK. I have some 4627 to test out and so far, I feel that it is better on the HT.

I did recently mix the 4627 with Genwax 128. The reason I tried this is because the 128 has a super throw for the 4 percent FO load that it takes. I was surprised that so little FO in the 128 worked. Loading more and the FO sweats out. So the 4627 has a good throw and holds much higher loads. Hence the idea to blend. Only tried it once or twice, but the blend seems to be a very good thrower at 9 percent and doesn't sweat. I'm going to try 12 percent and see what happens.

Horse - I heated wax to 190, added liquid dye, dropped to 180, added fo - stirred for 4 mins., then poured at 150. I got this wax from a friend who lives nearby, so didn't have any suggested temps, was just winging it off things I've done w/ other waxes. The only thing I added was a small amount of CO, just cause I wanted to try that. I'm going to add beeswax next batch, to test getting a bit harder setup. I used Starrville Decadent Desire - it's a VS dupe, very perfumy. I tested w/ CD & Zinc wicks, but just got HTP's to try next time. Hate to tell you this, but I didn't even wait 24hrs before I started burning my testers. I know how frustrating it is to get totally different results! I have several CandleScience fo's sitting around, so I'll pull them out & let you know what happens.

Susan.

I have been testing 6006 wax with great results, even some FO's that are not that strong OOB are throwing at 6%. I tried CD wicks but have switched to LX's which have been working well.

I have some 4627 that I also have played around with, it has great hot throw.

I think from time to time we all get candle nose and it really makes it hard to actually smell a candle. Walk away from it and maybe even go outside, come back later.

I've been using 6006 for some time now and have had great HT with most FO. But with this last batch I tried mixing 464 at 15% as a suggestion and so far am VERY disappointed. It might be that these first 3 candles I'm testing are light scents, but I don't know. They are Peaks-Twillight woods, CS-Mango-Papaya, & CS Lemon Verbena. Anyone else find these to be very light scents?? I even let them cure for over a week. Used CD 10 & 12's in a 3" status jar with 6% FO load. The flames seem to be just right. A little mushroom on some and got just about a FMP on the first burn. I have never tried the 4627 but have heard great things about it. Might have to try it someday :)

Horse - I heated wax to 190, added liquid dye, dropped to 180, added fo - stirred for 4 mins., then poured at 150. I got this wax from a friend who lives nearby, so didn't have any suggested temps, was just winging it off things I've done w/ other waxes. The only thing I added was a small amount of CO, just cause I wanted to try that. I'm going to add beeswax next batch, to test getting a bit harder setup. I used Starrville Decadent Desire - it's a VS dupe, very perfumy. I tested w/ CD & Zinc wicks, but just got HTP's to try next time. Hate to tell you this, but I didn't even wait 24hrs before I started burning my testers. I know how frustrating it is to get totally different results! I have several CandleScience fo's sitting around, so I'll pull them out & let you know what happens.

Susan.

Thank you! I'm looking forward to hearing more.

The CS FO that throws the best in my first batch of 6006 is CS English Garden. I love it! & I don't even like florals. But I should have used 1.50 oz p.p. instead of 1 oz p.p.

I heated my melt pot to 200 by leaving it sitting in my electric skillet while heating my wax to 200 in my Presto. Heated my jj's in oven at 170 because that's as low as it goes. Then I moved my melt pot to my scale & pressed Tare, & then ladled 16 oz of wax into my melt pot. Then I moved the melt pot full of wax to my electric skillet again to keep the temp up while I added & stirred liquid dye drops, testing color by dripping on a white paper plate. Then I removed my melt pot from heat & tested temp & added unheated FO at 190 or 185, don't remember, but it should have worked. (Maybe I should have heated the FO to 160 in a mason jar in my oven?) Then I stirred with a whisk for what I thought was 2 minutes, but didn't watch a clock, so maybe I didn't stir long enough after all. Hmmm. Then I tested temp & poured at aprox 176, or so, just to try the higher 180-ish pour temp on my first batch before trying the 160 & 150 on later batches.

Thank you, Karen. I'm using 51 zinks. It's been 6 days, CT is strong to very strong, especially when I first come back home, but HT while burning is passably light & lovely on CS English Garden, but barely detectable on the other CS FOs, which are CS 3 leaf strong. Most of them work better on a candle warmer, although still too light. I did use one Taylored Concepts FO, a mix of their Peanut butter & their Maple Syrup, & got no HT at 6%, but a light HT at 9%. & when I put that 9% one on a candle warmer, it's HEAVENLY, but I still want it stronger.

Edited by HorsescentS

I have been testing 6006 wax with great results, even some FO's that are not that strong OOB are throwing at 6%. I tried CD wicks but have switched to LX's which have been working well.

I have some 4627 that I also have played around with, it has great hot throw.

I think from time to time we all get candle nose and it really makes it hard to actually smell a candle. Walk away from it and maybe even go outside, come back later.

Maybe it's cuz you stirred for at least twice as long as I did? I thought I went 2 minutes, but maybe not since I didn't watch the clock.