Woohoo! Genwax!

Ok, just received an order from Genwax. They're about 10 hours from me driving time so I thought the shipping might be affordable and it most certainly was. $44 bucks shipping got me 5 cases of glass container and 58 pounds of wax and some FO and a few nick nacks.

Anyway, I have the 128 MP wax, the 140 MP wax (both in one pound slabs so that's easy to manipulate) and the 145 MP wax (11 pound slab).

Can't wait to start playing. I'll let you know how these do. There is no publication for FO load that I could see so I'm going to just hose this stuff and see what happens.

The containers are fabulous and very affordable. They seem decently thick walled but not overly so. I would consider recycling once or twice.

http://genwax.com/glass-container-jars--lids---gift-boxes/glass-containers---jars/cate_104/p___Z9224.html

Anyway, I'll report back. I didn't see where very many of you had used this stuff so I thought it would be worth documenting.

I've ordered frosted and clear glass jars from them and they are great. I've tested and re-tested again and again with no problems. I've yet to try their fos but I just might with my next order - depending on your reviews.

I love those containers! Shoot you could wholesale those to restaurants! (I'm always thinking ahead LOL) They come in great colors too. But I bet they are soot collectors at the neck so wicking and FO load will play an impact on that. Now I'm wanting some of those! Too bad. They are in Cali and I'm on the East Coast.:(

Candybee, yeah, the containers would wholesale well I think and I'm going to try it with soy and no scent. I think there are too many people in this world allergic to FO's so that might be a bad idea to scent them for restaurants. I'm on a test burn with C3. So far no soot on the neck, but its too soon to tell.

------

As for the 128 Mottling wax, I made a half sized pillar and a container last night. The container was 10 percent FO and it sweat a lot. The Pillar was 7 percent FO and the sweating was not too bad, but it was there.

I am comparing the GenWax 128 Mottling blend to the IGI 1274 Mottling Pillar since that is the closes that I have used. Granted the IGI is a pillar blend and the Genwax is a container blend, they both have very similar characteristics.

Neither can take over 6 percent FO, but the Genwax appears to be a bit more forgiving in that area (by maybe 1 percent).

Both mottle when they cure, but the Genwax one has a much thicker effect and it kinda comes out looking like it is just a cloudy candle. The IGI is the opposite, doesn't mottle enough for my liking but where it does, its quite nice. I want something in between (so maybe I'll try a mix next time).

I wicked the Genwax the same way I wicked the IGI and they both seem to burn the same. The IGI sets up faster and doesn't adhere to the container as nicely (again, the pillar vs container versions probably explain that).

Overall, my first impression is to buy which ever is cheaper.

Since vybar tends to help hold more FO and reduce mottling, maybe I'll add some to the Genwax and see what happens.

I'll know tonight if the HT is any different. I'm sure there are a lot of variations that might make me decide that the Genwax is superior to the IGI (Einstein is already working on that) and in time I suspect I'll like the Genwax better.

I just wanted to give a first impression.

Candybee, yeah, the containers would wholesale well I think and I'm going to try it with soy and no scent. I think there are too many people in this world allergic to FO's so that might be a bad idea to scent them for restaurants.

Not one of the restaurants, country/golf clubs, or event/wedding planners I work with want fragranced candles on the table. Besides allergies, studies have shown that in certain people, candle scent interferes with their sense of taste. They want the food to taste good to everyone. Consequently, I market unfragranced to all new customers as much as possible. 99.99% go that way.:tiptoe:

I have to agree. Don't recall being in any restaurants that had scented candles burning. Would definitely have an effect on a lot of ppl appetites.

Ericofaz: Did you try the 128 mottling wax at 6% FO load? Mottling waxes I've seen only have a 5% or 6% FO load. 10% is too high for mottles. Try a lower %. I'd start out at 3% or .5 oz per lb and adjust from there or go higher in 1% increments until you can determine how much a load it will take.

Interesting about restaurants with food desire. I was thinking that one candle with Fresh Baked Bread or Creme Brulee or some food FO might be worth a try. Any info on that?

Tonight I plan on a 6 percent FO. That's all that IGI 1274 can take and I think the same with Genwax so I'll see how it does, but I plan on using a strong FO.

My theory on this is that Peroil is used to create the mottling effect and it combines with the wax similarly to the FO. So if you use 6 percent peroil in a wax that "might" take 12 percent before sweating, well, you have to limit the FO.

No scented candles around any place serving food, period!! I've made candles for many weddings, bridal & baby showers and 3 restaurants in our area ove 12 years and they were all unscented. I've scented votives or soap for favors, but not to burn at the venue, as it totally will interfer with the food smells, besides some people being allergic to fragrance oils. The last thing I especially want to smell while eating is vanilla cause it makes me literally gag!! :cool2:

Ok, so there we have it, no scent. And I agree, when I go to eat, I don't want anything other than the aroma of the real food and the visual of my date and the flicker of the flame.

I am so interested in getting into this. The price of making the candle comes down without having to use or test scents.

I am such a goofball! So I checked invoices and wax numbers. The 128 is NOT the mottling wax, it is the container wax.

As a container wax, I'll stick with IGI. This is a total disappointment for a container wax, but my comparison to IGI mottling still stands. I think it does make a good looking pillar and probably in the 3 inch diameter will wick just fine with a 12 ply.