im pulling my hair out!!

for the last week i have been testing a 31oz libbey storage container and for the life a me i cannot find a wick that will work as a single. i have also tried double wicking the jar and the candle burns great with very nice ht but if the candle is left for a power burn say over 6+ hours it starts smoking and sooting something terrible. i have tried single wicks in the sizes of zinc 51, 60, and 62 none worked lx 22,24,28,30 none worked also i have tried htp 105, and 1212 and neither of these worked either. i double wicked with zinc 44's and didnt get full meltpool after two hours. i then tried dual 51and got full meltpool and good burn but after the power burn they failed because of smoking. it almost seemed like the wax was burning quicker than the wick. i mean the wicks were about 3/4 of an inch out of the wax. can anyone please point me in the right direction as to what style of wick would burn hotter than the above mentioned? i have seen this jar with a single wick at yankee candle and they burn fine. i have read and read and read and ordered wicks of what i thought would put on the right track but obviously i fell short. i havent tried eco wicks because all the guides i read say they are for vegetable wax and im using 4627. if anyone could shed some light as to what wicks are hotter than others please do so and save me the embarassment of walking around with patches of hair missing *shudder*

If it's any consolation, I tear my hair out regularly because CandleWic doesn't carry a wick between HTP 105 and HTP 1212. There's a real need to be filled there.

I know, I know, CandleScience carries one, but I'm not about to mix or change wick suppliers. An HTP 105 from one supplier might be way different than an HTP 105 from someone else and I'm not going there.

I use 4627 and HTP but I've never made anything that big (and never will).

I have found the Eco wicks might offer something worth while in the larger candle sizes. You might enjoy trying some. If I understand correctly, the Eco's are designed to work well in veggie wax and low MP paraffin. I can tell you that they do work well in that application and so using them in a larger candle with paraffin might also be of value.

I don't think of zink in your application. Not sure the HTP will do it for you, but obviously you gave them a try.

I might also consider some of the larger CD's.

Don't rule out a larger flat braid or even a square braid wick.

thanks guys for all the help. im just wondering if anyone who uses the comfort blend can lend me some insight as to which type of wick seems to burn the hottest in it? because it seems like none of the styles i have tried will get hot enough to give a full meltpool and i have tried all of the largest sizes i can find of them.

What's the diameter of your container?

Some suppliers recommend HTP for comfort blend.

HTP wicks burn hot. CDs burn cooler. I like CD wicks too, and have used them here and there, but mostly for votives, which are a blend of wax completely different than straight 4627. I've told myself one day when Candlewic has their buy one, get one free (500 min), I'll make an attempt to switch, but then I realize suicide would be more fun.

Assuming your container is at least 4" across, I wouldn't attempt to single wick. When I made 16 oz tins (4" diameter), I triple wicked.

sliver this is the dreaded jar i am having problems with. i too have also read to try an htp but the 1212 is the largest i can find and it is nowhere near big enough. ive seen these containers made by various different store bought candles and they always have a single wick. i really do not want to single wick this container if at all possible. if you had all the different types of wicks laid out on a table with largest of each type represented which one would you say is the hottest?

here is the jar

http://www.lonestarcandlesupply.com/products/candlecontainers_libbey-storage-jar-31oz-w-bubble-lid.html

someone has an HTP 1312...peaks maybe? forgive me if that number is wrong...but I'm sure I've seen it. I have 125 HTP wicks...get them from peaks. I use comfort blend and find the HTP wicks work well. I just tend to have an issue with the curling.

for the last week i have been testing a 31oz libbey storage container and for the life a me i cannot find a wick that will work as a single. i have also tried double wicking the jar and the candle burns great with very nice ht but if the candle is left for a power burn say over 6+ hours it starts smoking and sooting something terrible. i have tried single wicks in the sizes of zinc 51, 60, and 62 none worked lx 22,24,28,30 none worked also i have tried htp 105, and 1212 and neither of these worked either. i double wicked with zinc 44's and didnt get full meltpool after two hours. i then tried dual 51and got full meltpool and good burn but after the power burn they failed because of smoking. it almost seemed like the wax was burning quicker than the wick. i mean the wicks were about 3/4 of an inch out of the wax. can anyone please point me in the right direction as to what style of wick would burn hotter than the above mentioned? i have seen this jar with a single wick at yankee candle and they burn fine. i have read and read and read and ordered wicks of what i thought would put on the right track but obviously i fell short. i havent tried eco wicks because all the guides i read say they are for vegetable wax and im using 4627. if anyone could shed some light as to what wicks are hotter than others please do so and save me the embarassment of walking around with patches of hair missing *shudder*

If you jar is 4" across then it should take about 4hrs to reach a full melt pool even double wicking should take at least 4 hrs or more. Maybe your just in too big of a hurry. 6 hrs in that size jar wouldn't be a marathon burn, should just be getting a deeper pool. Try the smaller wick and let it burn. Rule of thumb is 1 hr burn for each 1 " diameter. JMO

sharon i have tried to single wick with all kinds of wicks and only got a melt pool after 15 hours. with the double wicks i get a good melt pool and it burns fine for a few hours but after 6 or so hours they start smoking to high heavens. i would really prefer to single wick this container but i am most definately at my wits end:(

sliver this is the dreaded jar i am having problems with. i too have also read to try an htp but the 1212 is the largest i can find and it is nowhere near big enough. ive seen these containers made by various different store bought candles and they always have a single wick. i really do not want to single wick this container if at all possible. if you had all the different types of wicks laid out on a table with largest of each type represented which one would you say is the hottest?

here is the jar

http://www.lonestarcandlesupply.com/products/candlecontainers_libbey-storage-jar-31oz-w-bubble-lid.html

Yes, that is a 4" jar.

And yes, Yank and others single wick them.

That said, have you ever burned a Yank candle that burned well? No? Didn't think so. lol

Fil-Tech makes some wicks the size of clothesline cord. I have one scent that I have to use Fil-Tech 2-672 Ultra Core in an 8 oz mason. I would normally never play that much to get a single scent to wick, but it's a big seller for me and one of my personal all-time favorites. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Last I knew, Fil-Tech would send samples. You might get with them and ask for several sizes, just to see what you get.

http://www.candle-wicking.com/ultra.html

CandleScience also has the 1312. I haven't used it.

Edited by SliverOfWax