What scent for a Wine tasting party

Dana

I am helping out with a wine tasting for the Chamber of Commerse and of course am making the centerpieces. What scent would you make the candles? I was thinking maybe White Zinfendel from NG or Mulberry Wine.....or should it be more of a "cheese" type scent....or Vanilla which always goes great with food. I don't want the scent of the room to jeopardize the wine tasting! Thanks!

My take is go unscented. A big part of wine tasting is using the sense of smell. If you are smelling a scented candle, it could get in the way of the wine. My brother owns a wine shop that does tastings on a regular basis. On those days, he does not burn any candles. Nor does he have any scented pillars near the tasting area.

Cheers,

Steve

Its true about the wine tasting. I have candles in only two wineries here in VA. Many of the vineyards I approached did not want to sell my candles because they said the scents interferred with the wine tasting.

But those that do sell my candles like wine scents and they sell very well. I currently use Merlot from Fillmore Containers and Chardonnay from CS. None of the wineries liked the White Zinfandel.

hmmmm, unscented? I was going to try to use this event as a bit of advertising. I am thinking that unscented wouldn't be a good advertisement. The owner will not care one bit if they are scented because he doesn't know much about the whole wine tasting thing. He just sells wine. I know, kinda weird but I THINK something not to strong that the tasters wouldn't complain about...something gentle, maybe? Or do you still think unscented even if the owner won't care?

I had a little NG White Zinfendel here, so I poured a tester. Funny when I smelled it I thought hmmmm, that smells like something else I have. Guess what? It smells identical to Bert's Snow Fairy!

The NG White Zinfendel is nice. It smells a little rosey. But I don't think I should use it because now that I have it burning, I can see it interfering with the wine tasting and food. So, I think I will try a vanilla or even unscented and then have candles available to purchase in the wine scents :wink2:. Never pass up an opportunity to sell some candles!