I have a couple of hopefully simple questions

angied

Hi folks,

I made some body scrub for me the other night just a really simple basic recipe. I was reading where you need to put preservatives in it. I would like to make some more (this is just for me and maybe my family I dont sell any of this...I just like to play) So my questions are, what kind of preservatives do I need and where do I find this stuff?

Thanks

Angied

Cara,

From what I have been reading it sounds like that stuff is the best...if I am understanding this right it can be used in alot of things. Is the only place you can get this stuff online? I mean I know walmart probably doesnt sell it but didnt know if there was another place that carries stuff like that. I guess if I am going to make any more I may need to order some.

Angied

Cara,

From what I have been reading it sounds like that stuff is the best...if I am understanding this right it can be used in alot of things. Is the only place you can get this stuff online? I mean I know walmart probably doesnt sell it but didnt know if there was another place that carries stuff like that. I guess if I am going to make any more I may need to order some.

Angied

I doubt you will find it offline. Not too many people have sniff as to what it it..lol What stuff do u hear is the best?

Cara

Hi Cara,

Well from what I have read (little as it may be) the liquid par is best for what I am doing. I didnt put any water in my scrub just oils. So that would be best for that right? Didnt figure I would find it off line...great another thing for my hubby to gripe about;) and to think this all started with me wanting to make some tarts....now soap, lotions, scrubs....lord there is too much and I want to do it all:yay: one step at a time though. It is so much fun though.

Thanks for your help

Angied

Heres my saved preservative info... HTH

Important links to read when choosing a preservative.

http://www.todieforsoap.com/preservatives.htm

http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/library/preservatives.asp

Still working on the cleanliness one.. but for now, wear gloves, bleach your counters, sanatize your equipment, and keep your fingers out of the bowl! (ewwwww.. I'm sure none of you do that though!)

Cause after all is said and done, if you choose the correct preservative then mess it up with improper manufacturing practices, why bother in the first place?

Optiphen

INCI: Phenoxyethanol and Caprylyl Glycol

Paraben and formaldehyde-free preservative! Optiphen is a unique liquid preservative formulation which consists of phenoxyethanol and an emollient base. For use in a variety of formulas such as aqueous, anhydrous and emulsion products. Optiphen is a clear liquid preservative that can be easily added directly to the formulation during pre- or post-emulsification, at or below 80°C. (176°F) Optiphen has no pH restrictions in formulating, and is compatible with most ingredients used in the personal care industry.

Recommended Use Levels: 0.5 - 1.5%

Opthiphen Plus

Also a paraben and formaldehyde free preservative that is a mixture of phenoxyethanol, sorbic acid and an emmoliant base that is ideal for slightly acidic products (under 6.0) but also performs well in products with a ph greater that 6. Works against bacteria, yeast, and mold. Can also be use in pre or post emulsification at or below 80°C. (176°F) Recommended in Creams, lotions, and moisturizers, shampoo, and foundations.

Get some litmus or ph strips if you want to use this one. These can be purchased cheap at www.thesage.com

Recommended Use Levels: .75 – 1.5%

Bunny’s Thoughts: If I had customers worried about parabens, dealing with the ph factor would definitely make this one worth my while.

LiquaPar Oil

LiquaPar is a preservative for sugar scrubs, salt scrubs and other products. LiquaPar Oil can be used in anhydrous mixtures (no water) and simple emulsions. LiquaPar Oil is effective against yeast, mold and gram-positive bacteria. Always have your formulations tested for preservative efficacy before taking them to market.

LiquaPar Oil is a mixture of Isopropylparaben (and) Isobutylparaben (and) Butylparaben.

For your scrubs and butters that have no water we suggest using LiquaPar Oil at a rate of 1% by weight. LiquaPar Oil can be used with other preservatives as well.

Recommended Use Levels: 1 %

Liquapar PE

LiquaPar PE is a 100% active, clear, stable, liquid blend of isopropyl, isobutyl, and n-butyl esters of para hydroxybenzoic acid with phenoxyethanol. This combination of parabens and phenoxyethanol is effective against Gram-negative and Gram-positive bacteria, yeast, and mold providing broad spectrum activity for worldwide formulations.

All LiquaPar PE components are approved for worldwide use thus allowing sale of the same finished formulation in Japan, Europe, Australia and the United States.

For more complex formulations, a dual preservation system of 1.0% LiquaPar PE in combination with 0.2% ethylenediaminetetra-acetic acid salt (EDTA) has proven effective.

Stable up to 185°F. For cold blends, add LiquPar PE early in the process to allow adequate mixing.

Recommended Use Levels: 1%

Liquid Germall Plus

A paraben-free preservative for your lotions and creams.

INCI: Propylene Glycol (and) Diazolidinyl Urea (and) Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate

Liquid Germall Plus can be used when you have more water than oil, and when you have more oil than water.

Add to finished formulation at cool-down-50C/122F or less.

Liquid Germall Plus has no known chemical inactivators and is compatible with virtually all cosmetic ingredients. Happy lotion making!

Use Liquid Germall Plus when making emulsions, for both water-heavy or oil-heavy emulsions.

Recommended Use Levels: .01-.05%

Bunny’s thoughts: Very cheap considering how much you use. No Ph stuff is a plus.

Liquapar Optima

A broad spectrum, liquid preservative system designed to prevent microbiological contamination in a wide range of personal care products. Applications in aqueous, anhydrous and emulsion type formulas. Stable, non-irritating, non- sensitizing at recommended levels. LPO is an optimized blend of ingredients that distribute within a formula according to their oil or water affinity to provide total antimicrobial coverage of the water phase, oil phase, oil soluble ingredients and emulsion interfaces. Globally approved for harder to preserve formulations at levels up to 1.4%.

Can be added pre or post emulsification at or below 80°C. If pH of the water is above pH 8 before neutralization, LPO must be added post emulsification.. For non emulsified products, LPO may be incorporated directly into the formula during manufacturing. Can be added to cold systems or at elevated temperatures at a pH range of 3 - 8. May be required in higher levels in formulas with high levels of non-ionics and proteins as these compounds are known to interfere with parabens. Can be combined with Liquid Germall® Plus or other Germall® brand preservatives in very difficult to preserve formulations like silicone in water emulsions. Every new or modified formula should be challenge tested to ensure adequate preservation. LiquaPar Optima is similar in some ways to the widely known Phenonip product. Appropriate for preserving oil based products like salt scrubs that can have water introduced by the end user.

Ingredients:

• Phenoxyethanol 66 - 74%

• Methylparaben 14 - 16%

• Isopropylparaben 5 - 7%

• Isobutylparaben 3.5 - 5.5%

• Butylparaben 3.5 - 5.5%.

LiquaPar Optima is recommended at use levels between 0.5% - 1.0%.

Bunny’s Thoughts: Ok, this one was copied from theherbarie, but I don’t get most of it. Sounds way too confusing for this mind. Get some litmus or ph strips if you want to use this one, as besides the ph stuff, it sounds ok..

Germaben II-E

The II E variation is for creams and lotions that have more than 25% oil in them. Stops mold, yeast and bacteria. Germaben II-E can be used in problem formulations without the need for additional co-preservatives. It is compatible with almost all cosmetic ingredients, including surfactants and proteins.

Germaben II-E can be incorporated into hot or cold processed shampoos, creams and lotions during their manufacture.

The preferred method of addition is to add it slowly to the cosmetic formulation with good stirring after emulsification and just prior to the addition of fragrance.

Germaben II-E contains:

o propylene glycol 60%

o diazolidinyl urea 20%

o methylparaben 10%

o propylparaben 10%

Use Germaben II E when making emulsions that have 25% oil or more.

Recommended Use Level - 1%

Germaben II

To help keep your lotions fresh and growth free, you will need a preservative.

Use Germaben II at a rate of 1% for all your lotions that have less than 25% oil in them. Germaben II is a complete preservative, no need to add additional preservatives to your mixture. Can be used in shampoos and conditioners.

The preferred method of addition is to add it slowly to the cosmetic formulation with good stirring after emulsification and just prior to the addition of fragrance.

Germaben II contains:

o propylene glycol 56%

o diazolidinyl urea 30%

o methylparaben 11%

o propylparaben 3%

Use Germaben II when making emulsions that have 25% oil or less.

Suttocide A

INCI: Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate

Suttocide A is active against gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria, yeast and mold, even at low concentrations. This preservative can also handle a wide range of pH, from 3.5 to 12! Use up to 0.5% of total formulation.

Use in room sprays, body sprays, shampoo, conditioner and soap. Suttocide A, when used in conjunction with LiquaPar Oil, is particularly effective in complex formulations.

Phenonip

Good at all ph levels. Good for yeast, fungi, and bacteria. Deactivated by some PEG compounds. Water should be heated to

140 - 158 degrees F to properly dissolve the preservative. Phenonip can be used at higher heat levels without losing effectiveness and with higher oil concentrations than either germaben and germal plus can.

INCI: Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben.

Recommended Use Level - .5-1.0%

Even simpler:

If your formula contains water, you can use:

Germaben II - less than 25% oil

Germaben II-E - more than 25% oil

Germall Plus

Liquid Germall Plus

Phenonip

Liquapar PE

Liquapar Optima - ph restrictions

Optiphen

Optiphen Plus - ph restrictions

If your formula contains only oils, butters and waxes and does not contain water, you do not need a preservative unless there is a chance water will be introduced by the end user.

If your formula contains only oils, butters and waxes and does not contain water but there is a possibility that the consumer could introduce water into the product, you can use:

Phenonip

Liquapar PE

Liquapar Optima - ph restrictions

Liquapar Oil

Optiphen

Optiphen Plus - ph restrictions

The end.. For now..

Ok, I may be a retard here, but I make air freshener spray, shea butter & Scrubs...I WAS using the liquipar until one of my customers stopped using them because she didn't want anything with parabens. So I bought some optiphen plus to use. I've been using it the same as my liquipar (with no seeming problems) but now i'm worried!! What's all this pH stuff? Does using this preservative raise the pH level of the product? Will this harm my customers?!?! AAAAAHHHHHH!!! So confused!!! :(

P.S. Sorry to have butt in on this thread!

OMG Bunny you are the greatest, that was so informative:yay: !!! I am going to print it out now!! And thanks to Luvcandletart I found a place that I could order some samples:highfive: . So now I just have to wait until it comes in and get started.

Angied