Dilemma, considering a change and would appreciate some advice

I am thinking of taking the scent out of my candles and offering a variety of scented tealites. This would allow me to lower the cost of the candle and the customer will be able to choose a scent they like as well as change according to their taste/mood.

What do you think would sell better, a candle available in only one scent or an unscented candle and offer a variety of tealites?

Good news, only a few more weeks till the introduction of the Marine Corps candle line. Boy, have I had trouble with the development of this line.

Tealights don't sell very well for me. Just me, but I'd buy an jar candle before t-lights. I think t-lights have a bad rep. because of all the dollar store t-lights that people have bought & they won't even scent a little bathroom. Mine easily scent my 13x18 living room.

I'm giving consideration to making tealights as samplers of the real candle. If anyone is not sure about buying a full sized candle, they can sample the tealight for cheap and decide if they like the smell or not.

So I don't make tealights in quantity, but fill a few with the leftover from the presto.

I don't think a tea light will help you sell your candles. In my opinion, tea lights don't throw scent well regardless of quality. Maybe if used in a very small, confined area like a powder room. Your clients then might believe your full size candles won't throw strong scent, either.

I've made tea lights that can scent an entire room but I really think thats a moot point here. Tea lights just don't bring in enough money and aren't that popular to begin with. On top of that if you are creating a candle to be used with tea lites the customer will spend even less on the candle and it could be a one time sale only. That and the sale of tea lights is just not going to get you much in the way of sales. At least not enough to make the effort worth it IMO.

Why not make both? Make scented candles and a few unscented ones and some tea lights. Test market them at a few craft shows and see how they sell. Its they only way to be sure.