Thinking about switching to an all soy wax from a blend. Words of wisdom?

I only make tarts and am getting more inquiries about carrying 100% soy. Right now I use a paraffin soy blend from Kentucky wax. I'm not getting an overwhelming request but enough that it has me thinking about all soy.

I might order a small order of soy wax (any recommendations, supplier doesn't matter) and experiment.

How is cold and hot throw compared to blends? Should I only buy FOs that indicate they were tested in soy? Will I need to use more or less oil than I currently use? Will I need to stir longer, pour cooler, pour hotter, etc?

I'm very concerned about both hot and cold throw but mostly hot throw.

I've read good things about Candle Science's Ecosoya PB Pillar Soy Wax. Any comments about this wax would be appreciated.

I'm just looking for general answers and general advice as I know it will vary and I know I need to do my own testing.

You'll find by reading just the first couple of pages of this section that everybody has an opinion. You'll simply have to start where everyone else started and form your own opinion. What works for someone else may be a disaster for you.

Pick a wax and do a search. Then pick another wax and do another search.

Then start testing. The sooner you start, the sooner you'll be where you want to be.

I haven't started yet, but I have done a lot of research on this board. The more I searched, the more confused I got. lol. I want to do soy also. I realized I just need to buy some wax and find what works best for me. I am starting out with the ecosoya pb and ecosoya cb excel. If those don't work I'll try the Golden Brands as those seem to get good reports from a lot of people also.

I don't like the throw, cold or hot, of ecosoya pb. I only use it for votives. I am still working on a "special" blend for tarts. I never used the parasoy you are using but from what I've read the throw seems to be better. I've also read some people like pb so.... :confused:

I don't like the throw, cold or hot, of ecosoya pb. I only use it for votives. I am still working on a "special" blend for tarts. I never used the parasoy you are using but from what I've read the throw seems to be better. I've also read some people like pb so.... :confused:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on teh ecosoya pb.

I'll keep reading this board and take notes.

You keep asking the same questions in different sections and on different types of product.

The best advice I can give you is pick a product you want to make and test until you get the result you want. Just because a handful of potential customers want soy doesn't mean you have to make it.

The best advice I can give you is pick a product you want to make and test until you get the result you want. Just because a handful of potential customers want soy doesn't mean you have to make it.

This is true. You will drive yourself all kinds of crazy if you try to please all of your customers. You will end of with a gazillion scents, containers, waxes, sizes, etc., only to find out that you are stuck with most of it. As an example, I bet you could offer 1000 scents and there will ALWAYS be someone who wants something you don't have. Or the container isn't big enough. Or small enough. Or too country. Or not country enough. Or they like colors. Or that want dye free. Or they want different packaging or label. The list goes on.

Research, pick your product, refine it, test it, make it better, test it some more, and sell it. Keep tweaking it until you have a winner. If the comments are consistent, then start researching it and determine if you want to add it to your line.

You keep asking the same questions in different sections and on different types of product.

I don't recall asking about a complete switch to soy before. If you'd rather not give me any advice, then I suggest you skip my posts. If you read my post carefully, you will see that soy has only caught my interest and I acknowledge that it is not enough customers for me to switch but enough that I'd like to learn more. Where I come from, learning and asking questions are good things.

I've found that what helps me best is to go to my suppliers website and read about the waxes they have to offer. Since I already order from them it makes sense and can save me money.

I'm sure you have read some of the threads here in the veggie wax section on different brands and types of soy. Use the information you learn here in helping you select your wax from your supplier.

There is no perfect wax. What makes a wax work is the time and effort you put into research and development. Often ppl give up because they don't get a good throw or a decent burn or appearance. These are things you learn how to do with your wax.

Just because someone doesn't like a particular wax doesn't mean that it's not the best choice for you. It could also mean they didn't learn enough about the wax to make it work.

As much as I researched about all the waxes I could choose from I didn't really start to learn until I got some samples of different waxes to play around with. From there I select one I like and learn how to work with it. Its not the waxes fault if your candles aren't great. Its how you learn to work with it that makes a great candle.

All the advantages you hear about in soy candles, ie cleaner burning, etc, are lost on soy melts. All you're doing is melting scented wax. I can't think of any possible reason soy would be better than paraffin for melting only. Carole

This is true. You will drive yourself all kinds of crazy if you try to please all of your customers.

Research, pick your product, refine it, test it, make it better, test it some more, and sell it. Keep tweaking it until you have a winner. If the comments are consistent, then start researching it and determine if you want to add it to your line.

Isn't that the truth. I've had to learn that lesson myself.

I like PB for votives (I don't make very many soy pillars). The throw works for me. I use NatureWax C3 for containers. It has wonderful hot & cold throw.

If you want to sample, get small amounts of each wax that interests you, but do so at the risk of driving yourself batty with testing. I find it easier to work with one wax at a time until I get a "feel" for what it will & won't do. If I am dissatisfied, I keep looking. If I am pleased, I use that wax. There is no perfect wax. All of 'em have some annoying properties, but we have to learn to work with/around 'em.

I wouldn't jump into selling them until you are completely satisfied with your product and have tested it thoroughly.

Thank you to all who took the time to give me solid advice. I actually really enjoy the testing and research process and have been very happy thus far with my blend and have stayed with it. I'm going to begin researching soy as it seems this "green" movement continues to pick up steam. I have my first small order placed and the fun begins.

Doesn't it take a tremendous amount of gas, oil, electricity, & pesticide to plow, plant, cultivate, harvest, transport & process soy into wax? & then ship it to suppliers? Just wondering how really Green it is to use soy wax.

Isn't that true, I think Soy is more "Green Washed" then green with all the soy sites out there saying how it is the miracle wax! Just saying...:tiptoe:

I don't recall asking about a complete switch to soy before. If you'd rather not give me any advice, then I suggest you skip my posts. If you read my post carefully, you will see that soy has only caught my interest and I acknowledge that it is not enough customers for me to switch but enough that I'd like to learn more. Where I come from, learning and asking questions are good things.
I make my clam shells with 100% soy and I love them. They are strong, have a great cold throw, are not bumpy. The customers love them. They are cheaper to make too.

I use only soy in my candles and love working with it. However, I use pillar wax for my tarts. It is an all natural blend of palm and coconut wax from MC candle supply. It is just firmer and works better for the tarts without losing the all natural angle. The all soy is a little to soft and doesn't always want to pop out of the clamshells. I have tried lots of different soy waxes and I ONLY use MC's golden soy blend I just love how creamy it turns out and it has a great scent throw. It's like others have posted though, trial and error are usually your best bet.:rolleyes2