Making soy candles for profit

Welcome to candlemaking! I'm sure you will enjoy it as much as we all do. It is an expensive hobby if you are doing this just for fun. As a business its a lot of hard work for little pay. Either way if you love candles you will probably have a lot of fun with it.

Its certainly possible to go into a candlemaking business and make money selling them. But for now you should first concentrate on learning how to make a great candle before you even consider selling one. Selling them is yet another skill among many you will have to learn to be successful.

Sounds like you already have some ideas on what you want to start out with. Working with soy can be trying but it does make a nice candle. I'd try out a few soy samples until you find one you like. Then learn everything you can about the wax you select.

Have fun and don't forget to post your progress or ask away. This is a great forum with lots of info. I also read several books on candlemaking but I learned how to make candles here.

I don't think it takes a year of testing to get it right unless you want it to.

I agree. When I was testing, I had a full time job (working nights, no less) twin boys and my daughter and grandson were living with us. Not to mention the household chores. I had alot of other stuff going on...

You can test every wax if you want but I would test a couple from the closest supplier to you.

Excellent point and one that bears repeating. Actually, that may be the most important decision you make.

I would also consider going with one of the more readily available waxes like EcoSoya or Golden Brands. That way, if your supplier runs out or discoes, you can get it elsewhere. Otherwise you just have to test all over again. I've had to do that and it ain't fun.

It takes as long as it takes to learn to make a good candle. That can be anywhere from a few months to years depending on how much you put into it and what you consider 'good'.

For example, it took me less than 6 months to make a really great paraffin container candle. Even now its one of my best candles. But it took me another 1-2 years to learn how to market my candles well enough to make money off them.

When I switched to soy it took me about 2 years before I had a candle I was happy with. And that was my own parasoy blend that took me the two years. I had already been working with soy for about 2 yrs before I attemped a parasoy blend.

When I started working with palm it took me another year to get a good candle. I learned how to make it in only a few months but to improve on it and get all the tweaks out took me another year before I had one good enough for wholesaling and retail. An that was because by then I was an experienced candlemaker when it comes to testing and development. If I didn't have that it would have taken much longer.

Its a continous process and there is always room for improvement.

Develop a team of people who's judgement you trust and enlist them to help you test your products. Go slow and try to keep good records of your testing, expenses and a running list of your fos (cause believe me they get out of control fast). None of us are ever totally satisfied because that's how it gets hold of you. I try to make 30-40% profit on retail and about 20-30% on wholesale, depending on the size of the account and the long term relationship. HTH

Steve

theyodelingpickle: I'm where you are now, & after weeks of research, I believe it's much easier & cheaper for newbies to start with an awesome parasoy blend like IGI 6006, & just do lots of 8 oz jelly jars to start. Soy is very, very temperamental & people spend THOUSANDS learning to work with it, which they can NEVER recoup with just a small home-based business. It makes no sense in terms of return on investment. It's great if you want a very expensive hobby. Candlescience has very helpful wick & fragrance guides.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck to you. I started 2 years ago mainly just to have a hobby, but it has gone the direction of selling. I have to say just do the research, and have patience. I have not sold anything yet only becuse I don't have liability insurance yet and will not sell until that is in place. I would say it took me over a year to have a candle I was happy with. It's taken me longer to get things in place due to having a baby recently and my 5 year old doesn't always make it easy to work, but I have had a blast and that's all that counts.

I agree with everyone else...be prepared to put some money into this hobby, and lots of time testing.

I made the mistake at first of trying to do too many different things at once and got very overwhelmed and a little discouraged. Go at a pace that is comfortable to you.

The way I chose my wax was I found the two waxes that were the cheapest for me to get shipped and tested them both. I liked GW 464 the best so that is what I went with. Good Luck and I hope you have fun!

I have something alittle different to say,.. I have been making candles since 2002 and I can't tell you all the mistakes I had made. I just opened my second storefront this year and I have been exhausted the past couple years. If I had it all to do over again, I would have never made it into a business, really I wouldn't have, I keep going because I have wonderful customers that make ME feel great about something I make for them. Man what I would do to be in your shoes and be starting new. But anyways, good luck to you no matter what you decide and my biggest advice would be to take your time and keep it a hobby for atleast 2 good years with others testing your products before you start selling.

Welcome to the board!!!

Edited by leisa2003
added

I have something alittle different to say,.. I have been making candles since 2002 and I can't tell you all the mistakes I had made. I just opened my second storefront this year and I have been exhausted the past couple years. If I had it all to do over again, I would have never made it into a business, really I wouldn't have, I keep going because I have wonderful customers that make ME feel great about something I make for them. Man what I would do to be in your shoes and be starting new. But anyways, good luck to you no matter what you decide and my biggest advice would be to take your time and keep it a hobby for atleast 2 good years with others testing your products before you start selling.

Welcome to the board!!!

Best advice I have read yet....I dont have a storfront but i have been making candles for 12 years now...I started with gel and quickly switched to soy (when no one knew what soy was) and never looked back. I have tried parasoy blends but never found any i like as much as my soy....WELCOME and have fun!!

I agree..what you enjoy doing now as a hobby, can quickly turn into something you really don't enjoy as much. Slave to your business...and it takes the spark out of what interested you from the start, and imo if that is gone what's the point.

Slow and Steady