My winge for the day

Sorry I am going to have a winge. There is a woman who lives local to me who has a candle business. I have seen her at markets and look at her facebook page, and see she now has a website.

This woman gets comments for her brillant descriptions of the multiple scents she makes. What she is doing is copying and pasting the photos and descriptions of the supplier exactly, she has the audacity to accept these compliments as her own!

She offers a refill service but her latest fb comments are that if you supply any kind of jar, cup etc she will fill it. Now I personally, despise to see people who just fill any kind of container given you can not trust the customer to only burn a recommended time and you cannot know how someone has used a container whether it may be weakened by the heat that candles dispense. I do not mean offense to anyone who does offer this service. But any kind of jar!

She does not use labels, well last time I saw her work she didn't, just a white small label with the scent on. Her prices are sometimes quite high considering I feel they look very basic and have seen them with holes, frosting etc. I know we all can have these occur on occasions, not that I sell but I most certainly would not see in this condition, but guess we all have different ethics and standards.

She had coffee jars filled as candles at a price I would expect to pay for new glassware!!!!!!!!!

She always has new glassware, she mentions where she has got some of it from and I think wow, cheap store, cheap quality, non candle safe stuff. How could she possibly be testing each and everyone of this glassware?

Her website she mentions she went to Dusk, (an australian company who makes predominatly parrafin candles), and "decided who walked into Dusk and just fell for the scents.

But I thought about what wax they were using and how bad it is for the enviroment and decided I can do it better for less". Less, do not know what she means by this as her prices are really on a par with Dusk.

Any way, thank you for letting me rant and rave, feel better now, it has been bugging me for a long time.

Well, you may take some comfort in the old saying "Give them enough rope and they'll hang themselves", lol

In other words, focus on your products and strive to offer your very best, always. The day will come when people realize this other person offers half-ass candles and service.

Same thing happens around me. I have people nearby advertising they will make "any candle shape, size, color, fragrance that you request". The stories they tell people about candles at the markets each weekend are just downright wrong and defy science and physics.

Makes me wonder how well their candles burn? I actually don't have to wonder as I know people who have bought them and cannot understand why ours burn so differently. I guess that tells me something....:smiley2:

I don't try to compete - Truth is if you are doing it properly you cannot without cutting corners. We continue to build our market share by other means. There will always be a market for "cheap" and people who do not appreciate paying more for a safer quality product will continue to buy on price alone. True candle lovers will seek out the quality products and stick by them.

The secret is to find your niche market and cater for it.......and try to forget about the ones that are dubious. I know it is hard sometimes but in reality is is all you can really do. :smiley2:

Rob

I just had to thank you for my new word...winge :cheesy2:. I never heard that before and had to look it up.

But I agree with what the others said. You just have to make your own product be the best it can be and hope kharma gets the rest.

Lol Deb, winge must be a aussie word is it.

I do not sell my candles. I just despise that this woman is copying direct from the suppliers website for a start. Wonder if she is breaking any copyright laws there.

I have considered buying one of her candles to see how they burn. She colours them heaps, so especially curious to see how her wick goes with such colour. Her cold throw is not wonderful, so wonder if there is any hot throw, although her fans rave about it.

Thanks for comments, I hear what you are saying, agree with what you are saying, like I said earlier just had to get it off my chest so to speak today.

Some of the suppliers have their descriptions/clip art protected and some don't. If any of this stuff were original content it wouldn't necessarily belong to suppliers but to whomever came up with it first. Why else do we have a thread for duplications? BBW has been pretty intense about protecting their stuff but suppliers still use the descriptions. You might as well get used to business as it is run in most places. If she makes an inferior product it will be her undoing and as far as the environment; candle burning of any kind is negligible. IMHO

Steve