Which wax has the strongest COLD throw?

Well, I have to say that I get great CT and pretty decent HT with IGI 4625 pillar blend.

Some FO's have a wicked CT that lasts for months.

Sometimes I use IGI 1274 Mottling wax for pillars. It sweats if I use over 6 percent FO, but it seems to have a good look and decent CT/HT. After it cures, the CT and HT seem to reduce and don't compare to the 4625.

I hope I'm not stepping into something here, but I have ALOT of customers that buy my tarts just to set out around the house - in dishes, pretty plates, etc. - for scent. They don't light them until they get "candle nose" or the scent weakens(not sure which). Then they put them in burners. They'd be pretty upset if there was a big difference between CT and HT. Never knew there were so many people that do this. Having a wax for CT and a different wax for HT would get me into a lot of trouble, and more importantly, alot of lost sales!:tiptoe:

Wasn't there a thread or two on the BS Candle company? You know, the one that B*^@# $lapped the customers with CT by spraying it on the outside of the candle or putting a soaked napkin in the box?

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

That was my first thought when reading this.

I hope I'm not stepping into something here, but I have A LOT of customers that buy my tarts just to set out around the house - in dishes, pretty plates, etc. - for scent.

actually that's what *I* do with my tarts. In fact, I'm considering making them in cute shapes for just that reason!

anyway, instead of putting out wax "examples" how about mixing some FO with some table salt and a touch of color. that way people will understand that it's not EXACTLY what they are getting, but instead a representation. the fragrance comes up very strong. not sure how you'd set it out, though, without risk of spillage.

some people actually fragrance larger salt crystals and sell them, but I find that regular table salt works better.

who knows, perhaps you'll start a new trend and will end up selling scented salt! which, by the way, throw GREAT in tart warmers LOL!

There is no solution to your problem. I have fos that only come to life when burned and are poorly represented by the cold throw. These are usually bakery fragrances but sometimes floral as well. I believe the key is in making sure that you describe the fragrance by its burn characteristics. Good luck on getting an accurate reaction from everyone that sniffs. I think you're over thinking this and should concentrate on writing those really great fragrance descriptions instead. IMHO.

Steve

OK, I think I understand what you're doing.

My tarts are displayed in 7-drawer sterilite tub things. When I pour the tarts, I pour a "sniffer tester" in a #5 pp 2-oz double wall jar (same jars I use for body butter). Of course I put the lid on the jar and label it as a TESTER. Then pop it into the same drawer as the tarts, which are all sealed in shrink wrap or equivalent.

The kicker is I use the EXACT SAME WAX and the exact same formula for my tester as for the actual tarts. Same batch. It never occurred to me to use a different wax or fo load for the sniffy testers. And I'm not about to start now.

Here's a thought.. you could use those FO's that you say have not so great CT as freebies to buying customers. You could make them in the souffle cups (1 oz cups will hold about .80 oz of wax) and give them out as a thank you gift when someone makes a purchase. Bet they will try them since they aren't out any money for those and if they love it once they get the HT they will be back for more, but, this time paying for them. Word of mouth from those customers could bring you more. Customers love freebies and it's a great chance to actually get people to try them. Just a thought.

Again, thank you everyone. I think I'm just going to not sell those with the lousy cold throw. I have plenty to choose from that have great cold throw and I have been over thinking this!

@SliverofWax, would you mind sharing where you bought those double wall jars? I was going to pour into tins with pull of tops. I wonder if the jars would be prettier.

Edited by AlwaysWondering

@SliverofWax, would you mind sharing where you bought those double wall jars? I was going to pour into tins with pull of tops. I wonder if the jars would be prettier.

http://www.containerandpackaging.com/item.asp?item=J012A

I use 2 oz double wall because I have tons for my butter, but 1 oz would work just as well.

You can get them pretty much from any cosmetics supplier.

1 or 2 oz tins would work. Pretty much anything works as long as it accepts the heat of the melted wax. You won't be using it for anything other than sniffing.

I believe the soy has the most cold throw. But palm is strong too. And may not change after time. Some of the soy scents will sour. Maybe our humid air. I was thinking maybe the palm would not do that. Just my opinion. I do love my soy cold throw. It sells the candles.