Mobile shopping

Candybee

Anyone doing anything to make their website more mobile shopper friendly? Got an email from a company that says more ppl are shopping mobile and they claim to make your site more mobile user friendly. I tossed it in my trash bin because I don't have any money right now to make any changes on my website nor do I know how to make an app for it.

So just wondering if anyone has given it some thought or actually done anything to upgrade their website.

I've noticed that I'm getting alot of traffic lately from mobile connections, and in the past 4 weeks or so, orders too. I don't have anything on my site specially for mobile shoppers.

What I don't understand, is that several customers have said in an email to me that they can't get my emails to them until they get to their computer.:confused: How can they send and not receive? Is that my site's problem or their phone problem?:tiptoe:

You know, Candybee, maybe I'm getting old and fixed in my ways, but I don't intend to do anything different for mobile shoppers until/unless I have to. I've seen 2 spots on TV - one on CNN and one on our local channel how credit fraud is WAY up due to online purchasers using mobile devices. Maybe I'm becoming technology ignorant in my old age, but I can't help wondering...since my first post, I got my monthly security software update, and since the increase in mobile visitors, I've had, for the first time ever, several high risk virus attempts blocked.:tiptoe:

You know you bring up some very good points Bernadette. We should always be thinking about our site security. I know I am not going to rush into making any changes because I just can't afford it anyway.

But I was curious if anyone has done anything different, added anything, or modified anything to accommodate mobile shoppers. Also, is it even necessary?

An app would be nice. But how many of us know enough to program one or can afford to shell out the bucks for that. Also, is it cost effective? Why go to all the expense and it does nothing to boost sales?!

Just trying to get a handle on what others think. Thanks.

I don't know if I can explain it very well, because I really don't get it, but see it if that makes sense. I had a "smartphone" with sprint, although not the level of these iphones and all that, we're talking lower level smart phone. I could check my email in it, but newsletters and stuff just didn't work well with that phone. And here's another example. I'm a Keurig person and I couldn't get on their website and order with my phone, but my cousin with the iphone sure could. she could probably open newsletter type email on hers too!

Shanda

If you have an analytics program installed (like google analytics which is free) you should be able to see how many visitors you are getting from mobile devices and look to see if they have an abnormally high bounce rate, that would suggest they have issues loading your site. Then you can easily decide if it's worth it or not.

Also many popular open source CMS' (such as wordpress and I think magento) have mobile support readily available, wordpress for example has the wp touch plugin which automatically redirects mobile users to a mobile friendly version of your site (it's as easy to install as any other plugin and they offer free and premium versions).

You'll likely find that you don't need it at this point, but if you find that you do I'd suggest searching around about the software you're using to power your site, you might find that it's free/cheap and easy to implement.

(disclaimer: I've installed wp touch several times with no issues but always recommend backing up your site before you make any changes just in case).

Hope this helps,

Josh

My iPhone automatically configures the most websites to be mobile friendly. If you touch the menu button on the webiste you are looking at it gives you all the pages from the site and it also has a couple extra buttons that say "Mobile Site" or "Full Site".

It makes it much easier to navigate and to see the website contents.

I did some research on this over the weekend and thought I'd share what I found out.

Newer phone versions, such as IPhones and Droids are compatible with your site, just as if they were viewing it on their computer. The buttons on the phone - mobile or full - are for: 1)mobile, doesn't show full website content but makes for faster surfing 2)full, gives you all the info you'd see if on your computer. A study's already been done that says people looking to buy usually go for the full site view to make sure they aren't missing something they should see, while mobile is used more for "window shopping" or a quick lookup on a site.

The problem comes for older,slower phones. Then you need what is called a "mobile skin" on your website for shoppers to shop properly. Thing is, most shoppers know that their phone is slower, their having problems viewing, and will go to their computer to place orders.

When I stop and think of all the phones I've been thru since mobiles came out, I think I'll wait on any mobile app. People trying to push these mobile apps know how quickly technology changes, and are trying to make hay while the sun shines....:tiptoe:

Thx for checking this out Bernadette. That helps a lot. For the time being I'm not going to worry about it. Seems to me that technology will 'catch up' and mobiles, iPads, websites, comps, etc., will strive to be more streamlined and synchronized. (But you can't always count on it!)

I also forgot to mention this morning...(see, I forgot again and posted before having that first cup of coffee:laugh2:)...besides being older and slower(3G or less), most of those phones have small screen that cannot handle everything on the website, thereby requiring the "skin" to be able to handle all the info. Not worth it, in my opinion.:tiptoe: