Spring Craft Fair, how the deuce does this work??

MOOdY_Girl

Warning: kinda long winded

Ok. I will start off by saying that I have done maybe 5 small crafty person shows since MOOd SWInGS began in 2003. They were all indoors and were hosted by the local Church. Very simple.

As I had mentioned previously, I have been working on candles again (WOOT!) Anyway, I went on the Fort Bragg MWR site earlier and discovered they have open registration for Homemade Craft Vendors at their Spring Fair. This is EXACTLY what I need to get the name out there and build up a nice customer base as the form shows expected attendance at 45,000. (overwhelming, but I will survive?)

Registration includes a 10x10 booth, tent, table and 2 chairs. This is great, but it will be outside. I have never done an outside show, and have no clue as to how to even display my stuff. I am not too worried about the heat as it will be the last week in April (not too hot)

I just finished reading the sticky posted on Craft Shows and all the info and advice was awesome, however, being extraordinarily decorationally challenged, I am needing advice. How in the world do I make a display that is 1) simple yet appealing 2) is not going to break the bank 3) be sturdy as this is outdoors. I have tons of decor around the house (dried greenery, tons of fabrics, etc) to I guess "finish" the look, but aside from the table they are providing, would any of ya'll share your thoughts and ideas on filling it all in?

Thank you so much!

It helps to practice setting up your display at home so you know ahead of time what works, what looks good with what, what to take, etc.

A couple simple things I learned was not to use a 'busy' tablecloth with lots of design on it. Use a solid color if you have one and make sure it matches the rest of the decor you intend to use. Also, different levels of displays help catch a customers eyes. If everything is on the same level on the table it tends to look cluttered and unattractive.

Use boxes, crates, shelves, whatever, to lift up your products. You can cover them with cloth if they are unattractive.

Since this is a Spring show-- think Easter colors; lots of green, pastels like lavender, orange, pinks, yellows, blues, etc. Or select a color combo of pretty spring colors and decorate with those as your theme.

I wouldn't overdecorate. Keep it fairly simple. You have to be able to set up your table, products, and decor within a time frame so make sure you don't overdo it and don't have time to set up.

For a 10x10 space I use 3 5' tables with matching tablecloths. I use risers for my candles. I get cute contact paper at the dollar store to decorate my risers. Dollar stores can be your friend when it comes to looking for ideas for decor that won't break your budget.

Have fun with it and don't sweat it. I think you'll do just fine.

Oh, you shouldn't have told me about this, LOL. I will be at Bragg in April helping run some OPFOR training for deploying troops. Wonder if they will miss me if I do the craft show instead, LOL! Just kidding. I don't do craft shows (too much of a chicken, they are lots of work :smiley2:), so can't give you any specifics. But as a consumer, I would want to see little clutter about the booth, and tend to not stop if you are sitting behind a table not paying attention to the people walking by (reading a book, etc.). Be friendly, engage everyone, and smile your ass off! Good Luck. Hope you do well!

Cheers,

Steve

I just picked up 3 large crates on closeout at Michaels... $3.59 each... WootWoot!!

Crates are awesome for display... turn them, stack them, put ivy,flowers, matching cloth colores weave themthrough the holes to dress them up... quick and easy... and cheap..

Edited by SherriLynn

LOVE IT!

Thanks so much, you guys put the creative wheels in motion! Hubby is on "dead man's profile" from Lasyk until Mar 3, so I will have his construction craftiness to take advantage of til then.

Love the ideas about the crates, boxes and risers...and I absolutely agree with ya'll about the good attitude and friendly demeanor. It does make a huge difference.

Time for me to start drawing up a plan!